Question on moon phase. O/H U/F

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Question on moon phase. O/H U/F

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:12 pm

Had a nice buck in an open clover field. Would the fact that the moon being under foot at 2:54 PM have the buck on it's feet early at that time and then continued to be on it's feet. Or would the fact that the sun was setting in less than an hour be the reason the buck was on it's feet in daylight. Thoughts? discussion?

Just seeing if the moon phase had a bearing on this buck in the open. The buck was in the clover field on August 12 at 07:53 PM. The moon was over head at 2:27 AM. The moon was underfoot at 2: 54 PM.
The major times were 2:27 AM - 4:27 AM
2:54 PM - 4:54 PM

Just put this out for food for thought. I did post a picture of the buck in another thread I started.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Question on moon phase. O/H U/F

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:43 pm

I think there are a lot of factors that come into play... I think the moon phase could of certainly been an influence, but the time was off of the moon time quite a bit... It would not of been a day that I would of thought of as a good moon day, but it was close.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:48 pm

I think summer deer are much different than hard horned animals in late Sept 1 early Oct. Cool temps or light rain seem to be more of a factor in summer.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:38 pm

The buck was out 5 hours after the moon was underfoot - I would say that there was no effect as a result, I would look for activity +/- an hour or so of moon overhead and underfoot. If he had been out at 3PM - I see them out in the middle of the day sometimes when the moon transit occurs, then there might be a connection. The deer was there cuz he was hungry :D

Depends on exactly where your observation was, around here Aug 12th 2014 was a nice cool day with a high of 77 degrees and a strong north wind that died down in the evening (from weather station). The somewhat unusual for August wind would affect bedding so you might see them come out from less typical spots and the cool weather would have them on their feet a bit earlier. I would always look at weather first and then moon position.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:55 pm

Seems like that would be a hard thing to nail down. Especially at that time of year. If it were down here, I would think he was late getting out there. Bucks in August are very visible here in the evenings in fields. I've seen mature bucks in the fields as early as 6pm and stay until dark unless they're harassed. In your case, the moon effect wouldn't have crossed my mind at all. Your area may be different.

The way these Wisconsin and Michigan guys talk about pressure, I wonder how they kill a deer on purpose at all :mrgreen: I'm not sure about Iowa. We don't have that kind of pressure here. Well sure in some areas but for the most part, no. In high pressure areas maybe the moon effect would be easier to see? I dunno.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:31 am

My thoughts are; would the early time ahead of dusk affect buck movement? Lets say if the moon was not underfoot ahead of dusk would that have the buck moving later? What I am saying is, dusk is prime buck movement time. If the moon does have an effect and has the buck up on it's feet earlier before dusk, he is more than likely not going back to bed., and starting over again. I mean why would he? So the early moon time before dusk may jump start the buck an hr earlier than normal? We do know for sure close to dusk is prime time buck movement. Just thinking out loud here. If we "think" the moon does affect buck movement we should have an opinion/theory on this.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BCam

Unread postby BCam » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:48 am

Just a thought here. I haven't been paying enough attention to this stuff for long enough to consider myself very experienced in the moon category, but the moon would have been in perigee on august 10th. So i would think it would have a greater effect around that date. There are people out there that swear by this theory.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:11 am

I'm guessing the buck was out there to eat and get aways from the flies.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:20 am

I can't say what he may have done after but I would suspect he stayed out and about

Over the last 5 years I have kept track of all the deer I've seen and the moon phase. And 80-90% of my sightings occur during major or minor periods. So I'm convinced it plays a part... u can notice this same effect with birds and other critters acting up during these times...

But it would be interesting to know if it keeps them out once they come out early

Make It Happen
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:25 am

BCam wrote:Just a thought here. I haven't been paying enough attention to this stuff for long enough to consider myself very experienced in the moon category, but the moon would have been in perigee on august 10th. So i would think it would have a greater effect around that date. There are people out there that swear by this theory.

:think:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:28 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:I'm guessing the buck was out there to eat and get aways from the flies.

So you think the moon had nothing to do the buck being out there? Just eating at prime time? I like to get unbiased thoughts on this. I can't ask a moon guy he will say it does. I can't ask a guy that does not believe in the moon stuff he will say no.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:35 am

Swampbuck wrote:I can't say what he may have done after but I would suspect he stayed out and about

Over the last 5 years I have kept track of all the deer I've seen and the moon phase. And 80-90% of my sightings occur during major or minor periods. So I'm convinced it plays a part... u can notice this same effect with birds and other critters acting up during these times...

But it would be interesting to know if it keeps them out once they come out early

Just trying to wrap my head around this. So you only see deer move 10-20 percent of the non moon days? I would say I have not noticed anything close to this. There are more non moon days than moon days. Plus we do know dusk and dawn play a huge part in deer movement. Interesting for sure.
BCam

Unread postby BCam » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:50 am

Keep in mind that there are more moon theories out there than just overhead and underfoot. Me personally, if you believe in the oh/uf effects of the moon, then how could you ignore all the other little things that go along with it, such as peigee and apogee. Interesting stuff, lol.

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:52 am

BCam wrote:Keep in mind that there are more moon theories out there than just overhead and underfoot. Me personally, if you believe in the oh/uf effects of the moon, then how could you ignore all the other little things that go along with it, such as peigee and apogee. Interesting stuff, lol.

A big x2

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:09 am

BCam wrote:Keep in mind that there are more moon theories out there than just overhead and underfoot. Me personally, if you believe in the oh/uf effects of the moon, then how could you ignore all the other little things that go along with it, such as peigee and apogee. Interesting stuff, lol.

I agree 100% There are so many moon things it makes my head swim. This much I do know, I do not know, and I am not alone.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”