Question on moon phase. O/H U/F

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Re: Question on moon phase. O/H U/F

Unread postby headgear » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:12 am

I don't know that a 2:54 moon time would keep an buck on his feet until 7:53, pretty big chunk of time for them to be moving in daylight. Anything is possible but I would think he bedding down at some point between those times.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:28 am

headgear wrote:I don't know that a 2:54 moon time would keep an buck on his feet until 7:53, pretty big chunk of time for them to be moving in daylight. Anything is possible but I would think he bedding down at some point between those times.

My thoughts are if the moon has an affect before dusk that day. It should put the buck out of it's bed and closer to the food source no matter if the moon time is a few hrs before? Just because the moon time doesn't fall an hr before dark it still should have an affect on what time the buck reaches the food source?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:15 am

When I see early feeding because of the moon I usually see deer get up and feed in their bedding areas for a while and then lay back down. Generally not wanting to leave the safety of their core areas with too much daylight left.

Maybe you are onto something or maybe its just a summer thing, don't know for sure.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:20 pm

Stanley wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:I can't say what he may have done after but I would suspect he stayed out and about

Over the last 5 years I have kept track of all the deer I've seen and the moon phase. And 80-90% of my sightings occur during major or minor periods. So I'm convinced it plays a part... u can notice this same effect with birds and other critters acting up during these times...

But it would be interesting to know if it keeps them out once they come out early

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Just trying to wrap my head around this. So you only see deer move 10-20 percent of the non moon days? I would say I have not noticed anything close to this. There are more non moon days than moon days. Plus we do know dusk and dawn play a huge part in deer movement. Interesting for sure.

No I'm not saying that at all... what I am saying is I see the majority of movement fall within the major or minor times whether it be peak moon days or not... I really can't say I've seen a huge difference on the peak moon days but that's Prolly more a matter of my situation if I had to guess

But with that said I have sat through many lunar periods and seen nada, so I have personally seen no pattern other than I do see more movement during the lunar periods.

Make It Happen
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:54 pm

Swampbuck wrote:
Stanley wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:I can't say what he may have done after but I would suspect he stayed out and about

Over the last 5 years I have kept track of all the deer I've seen and the moon phase. And 80-90% of my sightings occur during major or minor periods. So I'm convinced it plays a part... u can notice this same effect with birds and other critters acting up during these times...

But it would be interesting to know if it keeps them out once they come out early

Just trying to wrap my head around this. So you only see deer move 10-20 percent of the non moon days? I would say I have not noticed anything close to this. There are more non moon days than moon days. Plus we do know dusk and dawn play a huge part in deer movement. Interesting for sure.

No I'm not saying that at all... what I am saying is I see the majority of movement fall within the major or minor times whether it be peak moon days or not... I really can't say I've seen a huge difference on the peak moon days but that's Prolly more a matter of my situation if I had to guess

But with that said I have sat through many lunar periods and seen nada, so I have personally seen no pattern other than I do see more movement during the lunar periods.

I'm not following you. Major /Minor times of what? I'm just a little slow in trying to decipher this. Thanks for bearing with me.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:40 pm

Stanley wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:
Stanley wrote:

I'm not following you. Major /Minor times of what? I'm just a little slow in trying to decipher this. Thanks for bearing with me.

I think he is referring to these times that are determined by moon rise/moon set and overhead/underfoot.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:54 am

Dewey wrote:I think he is referring to these times that are determined by moon rise/moon set and overhead/underfoot.

So these times would have more deer movement than dusk or dawn?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:00 am

It seems to be very accurate during the major times and I see much more early movement on afternoons when the charts show a major period well before sunset.

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:04 pm

My bad Stanley I shoulda clarified, but Dewey is right in what I was referring to... I wouldn't say they cause more movement than dusk or dawn but they result in more movement than in between those times do .. it's similar to the tide moving or using the solunar tables for bass fishing, in fact it's really the same thing, it's when the gravitational pulls are at thier strongest... if u start paying attention to it you will notice the birds and other critters also become more active in those times.. not all the time but there is an effect

The good moon days occur when these periods coincide with dusk and dawn

Make It Happen
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:58 pm

Swampbuck wrote:My bad Stanley I shoulda clarified, but Dewey is right in what I was referring to... I wouldn't say they cause more movement than dusk or dawn but they result in more movement than in between those times do .. it's similar to the tide moving or using the solunar tables for bass fishing, in fact it's really the same thing, it's when the gravitational pulls are at thier strongest... if u start paying attention to it you will notice the birds and other critters also become more active in those times.. not all the time but there is an effect

The good moon days occur when these periods coincide with dusk and dawn

Now I am on the same sheet of music with you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”