Persimmon Trees

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mtmaggard

Persimmon Trees

Unread postby mtmaggard » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:37 pm

Has anyone had good success with deer seeking persimmon's dropping in early season? I haven't heard anyone mention them as a sought after food source.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Persimmon Trees

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:06 pm

Deer LOVE ripe persimmons.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
hokiehunter06

Unread postby hokiehunter06 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:15 pm

My first deer with a bow was shot under a few persimmon trees that were loaded. The ground looked like hogs had been rooting around. In my experience, deer are crazy about persimmons. I wouldn't think of them as a destination food source though. More like an ice cream shop along the way for them.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:45 pm

I have had great success hunting persimmons. Killed a great public buck a few years back hunting a very small secluded patch. The key for nice bucks is to find a secluded persimmon patch close to bedding. Preferrably within 100-200 yards. I have killed many deer that I have watched rise from their bed and walk straight to the persimmons to eat a few before continuing on for the evening. My spots do not have fruit every year but I always check them to see.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:25 pm

I've seen the same thing early season. Persimmon patches get hit pretty hard in the early season where I hunt. They just don't last very long.

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:35 pm

Deer love persimmons, if they can get to them before the coons do. Great place to wack a coon
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:23 am

hokiehunter06 wrote:My first deer with a bow was shot under a few persimmon trees that were loaded. The ground looked like hogs had been rooting around. In my experience, deer are crazy about persimmons. I wouldn't think of them as a destination food source though. More like an ice cream shop along the way for them.

I agree. I have hunted near a few persimmon trees in my days and deer will typically check underneath the trees on the way to or coming from a larger food source. If your hunting near one and a buck is "stand offish"…. carry something heavy like an apple to drop on the ground. A deer hears that near a persimmon tree and they'll will come right in or so my grandpa told me back when I was just a wee lad.
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:52 am

GRUD wrote:I have had great success hunting persimmons. Killed a great public buck a few years back hunting a very small secluded patch. The key for nice bucks is to find a secluded persimmon patch close to bedding. Preferrably within 100-200 yards. I have killed many deer that I have watched rise from their bed and walk straight to the persimmons to eat a few before continuing on for the evening. My spots do not have fruit every year but I always check them to see.

That's an awesome set!
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:12 am

I had seven all does around the persimmon tree in the back yard about 45 mins ago.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:49 pm

Southern Man wrote:Deer love persimmons, if they can get to them before the coons do. Great place to wack a coon

I've heard the deer and coons racing through the woods try to get to them first.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:13 am

Last season i made a wicked batch of persimmon cookies. So don't let the deer get all of them. Found 3 big trees dropping yesterday in a cemetery and have cookie plans again.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”