Jacket

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

attackone

Jacket

Unread postby attackone » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:49 am

Im looking at getting a new jacket, something that will keep me warm and dry. I was thinking about getting wool but it just seems really hard to find, any suggestions. I have a ASAT leafy suit so i will more then likely be wearing it over that.

Bucky

Re: Jacket

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:56 am

Cabelas Wooltimate super warm with windstop liner... I have hunted in tree stand with the jacket and bibs down to -20 windchill for 3+ hrs

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:59 am

attackone wrote:Im looking at getting a new jacket, something that will keep me warm and dry. I was thinking about getting wool but it just seems really hard to find, any suggestions. I have a ASAT leafy suit so i will more then likely be wearing it over that.

Over the years, I have tried and been frustrated by the performance of many different kinds of synthetics (polyester, bucksuede, whatever). I finally got fed up and ponied up the coin for wool. I have been satisfied with wool for the last 3-4 seasons.

If you can save the money, I would recommend some high quality wool (unless you are talking technical gear for western, mountain hunting). I really love my Gray Wolf Woolens. I have unlined pants and jacket with insulated vest for most days, outside of hot and very cold + windy. If it is really cold and windy, I have a lined pair of bibs with an insulated jacket. Not sure how much rain you are talking about, but good wool can handle a light rain no problem.

Jake
"In the deed, the glory"
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:01 am

Wool. Its pricey but worth it. I've spent a ton of money on outdoor clothing over the years. The vast majority that I retain is wool.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:04 am

Bucky wrote:Cabelas Wooltimate super warm with windstop liner... I have hunted in tree stand with the jacket and bibs down to -20 windchill for 3+ hrs

X2 on a windstop liner. Although I only add it on the colder, wind howling days due to noise. I don't like to wear it when its still.

attackone

Unread postby attackone » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:10 am

Bucky wrote:Cabelas Wooltimate super warm with windstop liner... I have hunted in tree stand with the jacket and bibs down to -20 windchill for 3+ hrs

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing ... t104045580
is that what u mean
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:16 am

Only you can decide what you want to spend on gear, but there is a huge difference between Cabela's branded Wooltimate Fleece, which is a recycled wool blend that is majority polyester (fleece), and something like Gray Wolf, which is 100% virgin wool. A few of my buddies have Wooltimate stuff and it is nice for the price, but the fabric will pill like all fleeces (ball up) and will not last near as long as a high quality wool. Plus, I have had trouble in the past with the Windshear lining being extremely loud, especially in cold weather (although it seems to depends on the year of manufacture because Cabela's is always shopping around to different manufacturers).

FWIW, recycled wool is made from the trimmings and left overs, so you are getting bits and pieces of the wool fiber, not the full length fiber as it was cut from the sheep. Because the wool fibers are only small bits and pieces, the manufacturers have to blend in synthetics to get the fabric to hold together. Blended wools are much cheaper than high quality, 100% virgin wool; however, virgin wool will always outperform and outlast blends. But again, only you can decide what performance and long life you expect out of your garments and what price you are willing to pay.
"In the deed, the glory"
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:20 am

Wool is good BUT....its hard to be the heavy cabelas stuff that has windshear lining.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Bhuntin

Unread postby Bhuntin » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:34 am

x2 on the Cabelas wooltimate. I got a vest last year and was very impressed. I will be looking to pick up Jacket and or bibs this year after the season. They had a good in store sale on them last year at the end of the season.

Right now I have the Artic Shield jacket and pants. They work great but I think wool is a step above. Just my $0.02

Yes it looks like the link you posted is what Bucky and I were talking about.
Bhuntin

Unread postby Bhuntin » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:50 am

The only thing I would add is that this stuff (jacket/pants/bibs) together are more of cold weather clothing. I think its to warm to wear early or mid season. Bucky might have more insight.
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:46 am

Bhuntin wrote:The only thing I would add is that this stuff (jacket/pants/bibs) together are more of cold weather clothing. I think its to warm to wear early or mid season. Bucky might have more insight.

The beauty of unlined, high quality wool is that the fabric does such a great job of regulating moisture and temperature that you can wear unlined wool garments through a wider range of temperatures than any synthetic fabric (fleece, bucksuede, etc.). So you actually ended up owning fewer garments.

By unlined, I mean that the wool does not have any backing or lining (no windshear, no Goretex, etc.). Except for hot early season hunts and extremely cold + windy rut / late season hunts, I wear my unlined wool garments the majority of the season. High quality wool is quietest fabric on Earth, way quieter than any lined sythentic fabric. It also does the best job of regulating temperature and moisture to keep the wearer comfortable. The only cons that I can think of is that wool is heavy and does not dry as fast as synthetics. But wool is still comfortable when damp unlike sythetics so that really is a push. In other words, the performance of unlined wool is unmatched.

But, nice wool is spendy $$$.
"In the deed, the glory"
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:23 am

Basically if it is cold I wear a wicking layer....merino base.
A few insulating layers and a windproof layer to put on while on post.

A good windproof layer can be a make it or break it item if its windy and cold, but you don't want to wear it while walking.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:07 pm

I have gray wolf woolens stuff in about every fabric an material. If i had to have just one piece for archery it would be a windshear lined wolfskin jacket. The wool is nice but its heavy to pack in and super heavy if it gets wet. Its harder to care for and more expensive. The wolfskin is light, quiet, washes and dries easy and is super high quality color. If its too cold just layer and i add a vest.

christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:01 pm

briar wrote:I have gray wolf woolens stuff in about every fabric an material. If i had to have just one piece for archery it would be a windshear lined wolfskin jacket. The wool is nice but its heavy to pack in and super heavy if it gets wet. Its harder to care for and more expensive. The wolfskin is light, quiet, washes and dries easy and is super high quality color. If its too cold just layer and i add a vest.

I have the Cabelas wooltimate. Last year I ponied up and bought the GWW with wolfskin. I like it a lot. I don't know if I like it as much as what I paid for it yet, but time will tell :lol:

chris
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:21 pm

I can tell you this, I get cold pretty easy, it's a no brainier the wind can run you out of a stand quick.

I broke down and bought the sitka stratus with wind stopper, it's the shart. I can wear 2x less clothes than I use too and stay all day.

I got the bibs and jacket, it's not cheap but has allowed me to stay put longer when I need to be there, I figure you can skimp in places, but if you get cold pretty easy it's the ticket.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”