Stopping a buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hoyt

Re: Stopping a buck

Unread postby hoyt » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:08 am

Only way I've ever tried to stop a deer was when it was above walking speed. Like others have said I don't want to alert a deer I'm shooting at if possible. I would have a tenancy to shoot too quick at a deer I figure is on the verge of bolting.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:07 am

For the newer hunters, the hunters recommending shooting at a moving deer w/o stopping it are doing it at pretty close ranges. I am in the don't stop it unless you need to camp too but if you try a walking shot at 30+ yards you might be very unpleasantly surprised by how far that deer can move before the arrow gets there.

You also need to recognize a fast walk versus a normal walk. I shot a buck that was walking by me faster than normal, and I held 6" forward, on the point of the shoulder, but hit only gut bag at 18 yards. I have made plenty of other close moving shots successfully. I got him but had to leave him overnight. In the heat of the moment it can be hard to judge speed and ESPECIALLY on slopes, downhill moving deer are often moving faster than you think. Just know what you are getting into.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:25 am

JoeRE wrote:For the newer hunters, the hunters recommending shooting at a moving deer w/o stopping it are doing it at pretty close ranges. I am in the don't stop it unless you need to camp too but if you try a walking shot at 30+ yards you might be very unpleasantly surprised by how far that deer can move before the arrow gets there.

You also need to recognize a fast walk versus a normal walk. I shot a buck that was walking by me faster than normal, and I held 6" forward, on the point of the shoulder, but hit only gut bag at 18 yards. I have made plenty of other close moving shots successfully. I got him but had to leave him overnight. In the heat of the moment it can be hard to judge speed and ESPECIALLY on slopes, downhill moving deer are often moving faster than you think. Just know what you are getting into.

Agreed... Might also add that I usually shoot them when they stop naturally or are moving slow.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”