any help??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

any help??

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:14 pm

so...my buddy spotted what i think is the buck ive been chasing for years...or...another biggun...he seen him a few evenings in a row at about 300yds and says all he sees is elk antlers...

i found what i thought was his bed this winter...he hasnt been back since the winter...i think hunting pressure and available standing corn all through the dead of winter had him bedding where i found him...y'all might remember the post and the pics...i was super pumped...but now not at all knowing he isnt using it....though i know where it is and when pressure spikes in a few weeks i know he may end up back in that bed because it is a pretty safe zone as far as hunter pressure goes..

anyways....here is a map and aerial of the area....the red dot is where my buddy has seen him a few times now...that point is covered in giant oaks and has a powerline on it..the powerline is open with giant oaks around...

green is no hunting areas...everywhere else i can probably hunt...

the 2 blue dots are 2 spots i have hunted in the passed and have seen what i believe to be the same buck...or other GOOD bucks..

the hill with a elevation of 1201 surrounded by corn USED to be my honey hole and was a big buck hang out..pines..thick edges..every kind of oak we have including chestnuts and whites which they suck up like Hoovers...it was awesome till last year a new guy moved in and put in literally like a dozen stands on that small hill and cleared 40yd shooting lanes with a brush hog...he ruined it...

anyways....any thoughts?? my buddy has seen him at the red dot on the power line a few evenings about an hour before dark...if he is bedding up there like i am figuring i really dont think i can get to him without him seeing me...which is likely why he is a biggun...he aint dumb..and with the fields below him as my only access up to that point i dont know how to get the drop on him...

i have VERY VERY limited time to hunt...like 1-4 days TOPS...

frustrating...the hunting pressure is REALLY high...most 1.5yo bucks are legal and get killed...we push deer all rifle and flintlock season and educate the heck out of them...id say the deer i hunt are probably some of the smartest deer to be found..especially the ones that live to be 3.5+ which is very very few..a 3.5yo gets the town talking still...and there is a lot of places i just simply cant hunt but hold deer...you can see my one stand is literally across a ditch from a ladys house that lets me hunt there...the deer know to live in places like that because they know its safe...

the blue dot on the edge of the corn field has always been good to me...but its hit or miss like hunting any standing corn field..i usually see a lot of deer and its fun to hunt...but killing them is another story..when i think ive pegged down where he will come from and hunt that entrance 100yds in the woods or whatever i will see em in the field and not be able to do anything about it..the next hunt same story..just 1 step ahead of me all the time...

oh....the field to the north of where the buck was spotted is pretty much impassable...i COULD get through..theres some ATV trails...but its a giant briar patch now...talk about a hiding spot...its turning into a nasty jungle as each year passes that no one brush hogs it...i can access from the driveway and the field to the south though its "buffalo grass" as i call it..not high or thick...but i just feel like he likely sits there watching that field...but maybe not...thats why im here asking what y'all think by looking at that...just looking at it and any kind of west wind puts him right there above that field with the wind to his back and eyes on the field...

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: any help??

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:38 am

There not a lot I could tell you based on the maps. but I can say I would get real aggressive if I only had 4 days to hunt... 1st hunt would be high in a tree over looking the area watching. If you lay eyes on him and know his travel path watch him intently looking for where along that travel path you can sneak in and kill him. Even if you have to sit in a 4 inch tree or shoot from the ground...
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:46 am

Thanx Dan!

I wish I had more time..and/or had time to observe him coming out there before going in for the kill...

Forgot to mention the point he has been seen on is surrounded by thick crab apple..so he either beds there and can't see the field or likely beds right on that point...last year I had a trail covered in his tracks and torn up trees going down off the point and into the small corn field I have hunted in the passed...of course he was spotted by someone else and they set up a stand up there and all sign of him vanished...

I may hunt that corn field my first morning and maybe hunt that point in the evening and just hope he is bedding somewhere he doesn't see/smell/hear me getting in there..

I will bet he is feeding in that corn field...he loves that little field...last year it was beans and wasn't nearly as good for day time movement..when it was corn the year before it was awesome hunting..ive seen him in that field the passed 2 years now..a few times each season..

With my new job I won't be able to observe that point...I leave this afternoon and come home in 2 weeks and will get to hunt that Saturday..

Stinks when life gets in the way!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:01 am

All I can say about that is get in there, get aggressive, and get it done on the 1st day. If he is being seen in daylight in that kind of pressure, he likely is bedding right there.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:42 am

If/when I head up to that point I will have to take pics...if he beds right on it he has a birds eye view of like 270 degrees around him watching the open field and briar patches...

I noticed if I parked on the driveway by the cornfield he wouldn't be seen...if I parked on the next road and walked in I stood a chance...no doubt he knew I was there and didn't move or just avoided where he knew I was...

I wish I knew his exact bed...I could either try to go in early way before light in hopes he comes back after daylight or try sneaking up there in the afternoon and risk him seeing me walk in...

And with a week of the season underway before I am back to hunt there's no telling who else will hunt where and where that buck will end up..the pressure has been getting higher and higher every season...its private land but its worse than any public land I've hunted..guys literally park and hunt wherever they please...I wonder why I bother sometimes..last year was horrible and they apparently can't shoot..we found i think it was 6 or 8 different dead 1.5 and 2.5yo bucks through the rifle season...it was disgusting..

That buck was also jumped one day in rifle season on that same hill...I just don't know exactly where he beds...and accessing it without him knowing you're coming is just about impossible which is why he is like a ghost and why he is still alive and why he is bedding up there somewhere...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”