Waterfowl and Pheasant hunting effects...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Waterfowl and Pheasant hunting effects...

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:41 am

Today is opening day for waterfowl hunting in MN. This is my first year hunting buck beds, and I've got a few beds located in areas that also receive pressure from duck hunters and pheasant hunters. I know it is somewhat of a loaded question and can vary a lot depending on distances and amount of pressure, but, how much do these shotgun hunters effect big bucks as far as the bucks still getting up and moving about their staging area? Has anyone found that they still feel safe in their staging area even if there are people hunting 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile away? I'm assuming the shotgun blasts will have quite a negative impact, and the deer will be far less likely to get up during daylight hours. However I've also thought that if they feel safe where they are, the still might get up and move a short distance. I'm trying to decide whether or not some of these beds are worth my time. Thoughts?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Waterfowl and Pheasant hunting effects...

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:34 am

For me it gets better when the duck and pheasant hunters enter the marsh... They really push those bucks into predictable locations where both pheasant and duck hunters rarely go... Yes, despite the gun fire, bucks still move within there safe zone.
When I shot my buck last week I had a squirrel hunter shooting a .22 like crazy about 200 yards away while 4 bucks got out of there beds and started to stage past me.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:14 am

Thanks for the help Dan. I was thinking about it and although the doe and little buck sightings drastically decrease due to the hunting pressure, it only makes sense that they are seeking heavier cover and more strict bedding. Almost like they are adapting more of a mature buck mindset and sticking to a staging area as well. Meanwhile the big buck hangs by his bed like he always does...
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:43 am

I have witnessed bucks running does in tall grass from a tree stand a ways away, pheasant hunters came thru, the deer held tight the hunters passed by them and game on again.

I also hunted 80 acres of warm season grass, big tall stuff, it got walked once a day probabbly. I saw different bucks everyday I hunted it, if the grass or weeds are super thick and tall the deer will stay in it until it's burned, I've walked up on the bedded in it, can't see them but here them get up. They would wait for me to move again then they would move again, not like the tore out of there running for the hills, they were in that stuff for a reason almost impossible to be seen or killed.

Same for duck hunters, I have hunted close to them sounded like Lebanon, but the deer did not care.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:52 pm

Yup learned that on accident last year. Set up on a river island bedding area really early a.m....Ducks hunters scared the crap routta me with three parties pass shooting on the river close..One party stumbled by with lights blazing and dogs bout 50 yards away razing cain. I was like WTH I will sit here till they leave so they don't get the deer hunting idea.
9a a nice 2.5y buck strolls out eating acorns, they would fire a barrage, he would stop for a second and watch and listen then go back to sniffing and eating.
huh
Tom's Hunting Lodge
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Toms-Hun ... 9489827174

Unread postby Tom's Hunting Lodge » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:42 pm

Same as what Dan and May-39 said !! Also noticed, when the ducks weren't flying, I could hear the guys talking in their duck blind upwind of me. Still didn't bother the deer as they seemed use to it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”