Wind deer travel question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

exojam

Wind deer travel question

Unread postby exojam » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:05 pm

I am sure this has been covered a million times so I apologize for starting another thread.

I went out to a spot today that I have been to before but have never had a chance to scout. The wind was out of the North – North East. I buried myself up against a tree circled in black. My belief was that my scent would be blown down far enough down the field that anything coming from the east would not get a wiff.

The field I was overlooking was just a grass field but multiple deer trails leading into (out) of it. The field to the north still has standing corn.

So my question is, if deer like to travel with the wind at their back, how do you think they would approach the open field – corn field with a North wind or would they just not go there? Thanks.

Image[/url][/url]

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Wind deer travel question

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:18 pm

I think it is great misinterpretation that deer like to travel with wind at there back. As hunters we are able to kill deer with wind to their backs, this puts us in a down wind situation. If we could consistently kill them traveling the wind in in their nose I believe it would all equal out.

If it were me I would set up like this. I have never liked open fields. There are way more deer hiding/bedding in cover than open fields. More deer will travel under cover than in the open. Plus you have little neck down there. Orange would be where I would set up with blue arrow being wind direction.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:18 am

Stanley,

Thank you for the reply. Yes I was under the misinterpretation that deer liked to travel with the wind at their backs. I had been thinking of this for awhile and finally decided to ask about it.

I like the corner you pointed to but since the corn was up there was not a way to that spot for me. Also, if I am not mistaken their is an old New England stone wall running to just to the east of the corn that runs a long way N-S. When I go back out there I will have abetter chance to look since I think I will be with someone.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:58 am

Just keep your wind from getting to the deers nose... I like the area on the North edge of the corn that water and diverse cover should have some bucks bedding close to the corn, and if the corn is standing I could see them going to it in daylight. Can you get your scooter back there?
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:10 am

dan wrote:Just keep your wind from getting to the deers nose... I like the area on the North edge of the corn that water and diverse cover should have some bucks bedding close to the corn, and if the corn is standing I could see them going to it in daylight. Can you get your scooter back there?

Dan,

I am pretty positive that my chair can make it there.

That is an area I have looked at do the marsh type terrain and the proximity to the fields. Also, I do not believe this is really pressured area for some unknown reason but the folks that do go there go deep, which always make me think of how you say, there are not always deep in the woods.

I would say that it is maybe 500-600 yards from that marsh area to the corn (but my distance estimations are not the best).
[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:58 am

I have seen a good number of mature buck traveling with the wind in their face and quartering to. There are NO definites in the deer woods.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:09 am

Terry wrote:I have seen a good number of mature buck traveling with the wind in their face and quartering to. There are NO definites in the deer woods.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Terry,

Thanks for the reply. For some reason I had it stuck in my head as Stanley had mentioned that that is the way they will travel.

After thinking so much about it while sitting out yesterday I just had to ask even if some thought it may be such a basic thing to know.

Knowing this now I believe things may be better planned.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:30 am

So I am probably going out to the same place on Tuesday and it is supposed to have a Northeast wind at about 8 MPH.

I widened the photo to show the area I believe Dan was talking about trying.

The blue is where I would park and then my travel routes in.
The red circles are where I was thinking on going based on Stanley’s and Dan thoughts.

If either of you were going in there, which would you choose? Thanks.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:34 am

I like Stans spot on the S.E. wind and mine on the N.W.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:42 am

Dan,

Thanks for the reply.

So nothing on a Northeast wind?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:46 am

I think you could get away with North east on my spot.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:35 am

Cool. Thanks again.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:48 am

I agree with Dan My spot for SE wind. Dan's spot would be better with NW but a NE would work. You do give up some ground with a NE wind. The ground you are giving up is pretty good looking cover. In my opinion if you could possibly wait for a NW wind you would be way better off on Dan's spot. This is taking into consideration your entrance and where you park. JMHO
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:01 am

Thanks Stan.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:23 am

Just another thought...

If there is a low spot in the field, a lot of times bucks like to enter there because the falling thermals allow them to scent check the entire field. A lot of times they will not reach that spot on the field edge until after dark. Getting between a low spot like that and where they are bedding may be a good setup. If you are lucky there will be a rub on the field edge at the low spot and a rub line connecting it to the bedding to kind of tell the story for you.

Good luck.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”