Wind deer travel question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

exojam

Re: Wind deer travel question

Unread postby exojam » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:21 pm

PalmettoKid,

On that note, from the little spot I was at the other day (circle), you could not see over the land down into that back corner I put some black marks on. Now if you look at this piece on a topo there is no elevation change between the two spots but you still cannot see down into that corner from where I was.

On a side not (and they are not exact), the red marks are trails you can see where the deer are either coming into, out of or both to the field.

And if you trust the weather service, there is no South wind coming into this area for at least the next 10 days. Pretty much all N – NE.

exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:45 pm

Stanley wrote:I think it is great misinterpretation that deer like to travel with wind at there back. As hunters we are able to kill deer with wind to their backs, this puts us in a down wind situation. If we could consistently kill them traveling the wind in in their nose I believe it would all equal out.

If it were me I would set up like this. I have never liked open fields. There are way more deer hiding/bedding in cover than open fields. More deer will travel under cover than in the open. Plus you have little neck down there. Orange would be where I would set up with blue arrow being wind direction.

Stan or Dan,

Going to bug you again on this if possible. It appears Tuesday will be a South wind for that area. Now I know it is not the South East that Stan thought would be best for his spot but I think it will be the best South wind I have in that area for awhile (everything for the past few weeks is a NW wind).

So my question is, if I go over to Stans marked area, are we talking sitting maybe 10 feet into the woods or like 25-50 yards into that corner? Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:07 pm

exojam wrote:
Stanley wrote:I think it is great misinterpretation that deer like to travel with wind at there back. As hunters we are able to kill deer with wind to their backs, this puts us in a down wind situation. If we could consistently kill them traveling the wind in in their nose I believe it would all equal out.

If it were me I would set up like this. I have never liked open fields. There are way more deer hiding/bedding in cover than open fields. More deer will travel under cover than in the open. Plus you have little neck down there. Orange would be where I would set up with blue arrow being wind direction.

Stan or Dan,

Going to bug you again on this if possible. It appears Tuesday will be a South wind for that area. Now I know it is not the South East that Stan thought would be best for his spot but I think it will be the best South wind I have in that area for awhile (everything for the past few weeks is a NW wind).

So my question is, if I go over to Stans marked area, are we talking sitting maybe 10 feet into the woods or like 25-50 yards into that corner? Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance.

I think you could get a pretty decent hunt out of a south wind. The majority of the cover is to the S/W. Plus you still have a chance of movement from the East. If the corn is still in the field you could stay more towards the field edge. If the corn is picked I would go into the cover/woods 20/25 yards. I'm kind of thinking this way for an evening hunt.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:07 pm

Great. Thank you very much.

Also the corn got picked within the past two weeks (on a side note).

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”