This will be fun....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: This will be fun....

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:14 am

My ideal hunting area is public ground ten minutes from the house. Leave the long drives, property taxes, concerns about liability and trespassers, limited boundaries and watching the same trail all season long for the next guy.
Honestly the public near me is not ideal but the genetics are top notch. Mississippi river flood plain on Illinois cropland.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:55 am

N/s ridge with a hilltop field. Big field for feeding nearby, beans or alfalfa for early season. Water available and a drier year helps get them up top it seems vs in the valleys.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:41 am

10,000 or more acres with a mix of terrain
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:59 am

Terry wrote:10,000 or more acres with a mix of terrain

I'm with you on that. I need room to explore and have a ton of options to hunt. One thing that would get old with me really quick is hunting a fairly small acreage over and over even if I was guaranteed to see a good buck every day. Killing a buck is nice but the full experience is what I'm after.

My ideal hunting hunting land would be a huge marsh or cedar swamp surrounded by hill country and some farm crop land so I have options for all season. Even better would be if the surrounding land owners were all non hunters creating even more sanctuaries for bucks to grow old. If I found this and never saw another hunter I would be in heaven. 8-)

Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:44 am

That's my reasoning too Dewey. I need a lot of options to keep me happy. I gave up on the idea of ever owning hunting land. My priority now is to have a good running vehicle and gas money to get to all my spots.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:30 pm

Dewey wrote:

I'm with you on that. I need room to explore and have a ton of options to hunt. One thing that would get old with me really quick is hunting a fairly small acreage over and over even if I was guaranteed to see a good buck every day. Killing a buck is nice but the full experience is what I'm after.

My ideal hunting hunting land would be a huge marsh or cedar swamp surrounded by hill country and some farm crop land so I have options for all season. Even better would be if the surrounding land owners were all non hunters creating even more sanctuaries for bucks to grow old. If I found this and never saw another hunter I would be in heaven. 8-)

Im with Dewey on both comments. My land at my house is good, but only during the rut and late season. I cant do it anymore, I need to explore and beast hunt. The cedars, swamp, ag, CRP with hillls oaks and streams is pretty much it for me.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:31 pm

Dewey wrote:

Im with Dewey on both comments. My land at my house is good, but only during the rut and late season. I cant do it anymore, I need to explore and beast hunt. The cedars, swamp, ag, CRP with hillls oaks and streams is pretty much it for me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”