Need Help From Some Beasts...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

chasin' tail

Need Help From Some Beasts...

Unread postby chasin' tail » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:45 am

New to the forum but loving it already, hopefully this picture posted right.

Green line = thick marsh grass / swamp; lots of cover / rubs / likely buck bedding area
Red dot = trail camera facing SE
Blue dot = Taken 2 bucks from this set, seems to be a staging area although tough to hunt with swirling winds
Prevalent wind = N / NW

Got 1 pick of 150+" deer (big drop tine) at red dot right at last light. Buck was headed S / SE towards the fields. Interesting enough, the day I got a picture of him wind was S / SE which is uncommon. If you subscribe to the leeward side of ridge method, makes sense he was bedded somewhere on the north facing slope back to wind getting thermals from bottom.

My question is, given prevalent winds, how would you set up on this deer? Cant decide if it was just coincidence I got picture of him on S/SE wind (had camera out for a very limited time). I suspect he could traditionally be bedded in the marsh (which is tough to hunt from stand).

chasin' tail

Re: Need Help From Some Beasts...

Unread postby chasin' tail » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:50 am

Additional view.
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:28 am

I am no expert, but I doubt it's a freak thing. I would set up there the next time the wind blows that way. He is probably bedding NE of the red dot on that point. Get as close as you can without spooking him.

What way did it look like he was coming from in the pic? That might help too.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:41 am

Welcome to the beast
I am sure someone will help

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
chasin' tail

Unread postby chasin' tail » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:10 pm

He was headed S/SE along the edge probably 20 yards into the woodlot, presumably headed for the fields on top. Thanks for the warm welcome.
semperfidelis

Unread postby semperfidelis » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:59 pm

What mapping software r u using?

chasin' tail

Unread postby chasin' tail » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:38 am

semperfidelis wrote:What mapping software r u using?

CalTopo, pretty neat stuff
freeboro

Unread postby freeboro » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:30 am

Terry wrote:... but I doubt it's a freak thing...

I am as guilty of this as anyone, but I wonder if we think "it's a just a freak thing", when in reality, they don't do anything that's "freaky". Like, they always have a reason for bedding where they bed, traveling where and how they travel, etc. Exception being the rut when the ladies are on their brain.

Know what I mean?
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:07 am

I do know what you mean. I think a mature bucks actions are pretty deliberate. They don't get big by doing things randomly.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:38 am

chasin' tail wrote:Image

New to the forum but loving it already, hopefully this picture posted right.

Green line = thick marsh grass / swamp; lots of cover / rubs / likely buck bedding area
Red dot = trail camera facing SE
Blue dot = Taken 2 bucks from this set, seems to be a staging area although tough to hunt with swirling winds
Prevalent wind = N / NW

Got 1 pick of 150+" deer (big drop tine) at red dot right at last light. Buck was headed S / SE towards the fields. Interesting enough, the day I got a picture of him wind was S / SE which is uncommon. If you subscribe to the leeward side of ridge method, makes sense he was bedded somewhere on the north facing slope back to wind getting thermals from bottom.

My question is, given prevalent winds, how would you set up on this deer? Cant decide if it was just coincidence I got picture of him on S/SE wind (had camera out for a very limited time). I suspect he could traditionally be bedded in the marsh (which is tough to hunt from stand).

Based on the picture and the wind, I would put that buck on the point just below the word "camera"
chasin' tail

Unread postby chasin' tail » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:45 am

Thanks guys for the thoughts. Going in on him tonight, will keep you posted.

chasin' tail

Unread postby chasin' tail » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:54 am

chasin' tail wrote:Thanks guys for the thoughts. Going in on him tonight, will keep you posted.

Went in the other evening intent on climbing on that point near the camera. Spotted a bedded buck prob half way down hillside from the ground, couldnt really tell how big with all the leaves etc. but dont think it was the big guy; Given he was prob 50-60 yds away, had to do the slow creep to my tree and up it - good thing I got there early. Had trouble seeing him once up the tree - the buck that came through the setup could have been him or a different one

Smaller buck and some does came through + 2 coyotes; drew back on coyote but no shot (really struggle to get these guys to stop)

Didn't see the big boy (coyotes nearby probably didnt help) but no harm done the wind / setup was perfect

....still havent decided what the next move is

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”