Scent control article

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Terry
500 Club

Scent control article

Unread postby Terry » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:36 am

In the new Fair Chase magazine put out by Boone And Crockett, there is an article by Chuck Adams titled "Scent Control For Hunters". Chuck talks about how all the scent control products are basically a joke and you must play the wind to successfully beat an animals nose. Pretty refreshing to read something by a bow hunting legend that basically cuts through the bull and gives hunters some real information. Too bad it's not a more popular magazine.

headgear
500 Club

Re: Scent control article

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:43 am

Nice to hear, very rare these days.
carl1191

Unread postby carl1191 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:16 am

The older and more experienced hunter I become, the less I do for scent control. Basically all I do now is wash my clothes and take a shower before hunting (If I have time). And play the wind.
Recently I was reading an Outdoor Life article about ozone as a scent control product. The results were pretty fascinating.
The basics of the test were that they had six large boxes spread out in a field. They would hide a hunter in one of the boxes and release a trained tracking hound. They have used this same test for basically all scent control products that have come along, even carbon suits. In tests with carbon suits the hunters were found in like 15 seconds. When the hunter was in a box with one of the ozone generating units it took the dog nearly 2 minutes to find the hunter. I believe they said it took the dog 2 times around to each box before he selected the right one. And even then he wasn't acting like he was 100% sure.
Now am I going to run out and drop 200-400 dollars on one of these units? I may be a fool but I don't like to part with my money that much.
Just something to ponder over.
I may see if I can find the article.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:33 am

I read the ozonics testing article too. Silly test though--I don't know anyone who hunts effectively from inside a closed cardboard box. A better test would have been a hunter hiding in a open box about 20 feet up.

However, if they tested this way nobody would be buying ozonics. And really, who wants to breathe that stuff?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:43 am

Magazines are primarily run by advertisements, not subscriptions. I highly suspect you will see an anti-product article posted in a mainstream magazine. It isn't a sustainable business model.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”