Trust your instincts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DropTyne
500 Club

Trust your instincts

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:33 am

I learned a valuable lesson this Saturday that I wanted to share with everyone on the forum. I had trail cam pics of a really big 8 pointed that I saw last year again this year. I knew where he was bedding and I knew what he was eating. When I checked into camp one of the guys I hunt with had just made me aware that he had hung a stand a few months back in the corner of the field this buck was using. He wasn't going to hunt it so he told me that I should climb in there. I knew from tracks and the way that the wind was that if this buck was in that bed and still on the same pattern he would access the field 60-70 yards from the stand.

Instead of outright taking his advice my plan was to take the LW and sticks and go find a tree near his entrance and exit rought which was more towards the center of the field. I found his track again while I was walking along this field edge looking for a tree nearby. To my surprise none of the trees near his staging area were climbable, a wind storm of sorts had them all on a 45 degree angle leaning away from the field. I kept telling myself I was where I needed to be and decided I was going to sit on the ground upwind of the trail/staging area he had been using. Thats when I started to question my decision..........

I am so used to hunting out of a stand and I sat there for fifteen minutes contemplating what to do. That pre-hung stand started to look better and better, and with time ticking I made the decision, left the LW where it laid on the ground and climbed in the pre-hung set.

An hour later that's when it all happened. I was sitting in the pre-hung set when I heard a ruckus running through the CRP field back by the eight pointers bedding area, I caught a glimps of a large rack chasing a smaller racked buck. I grabbed my bow and got ready. 2 minutes later the biggest eight pointer I've ever seen while hunting during shooting hours emerged into the field 15 yards from where my LW was laying on the ground. This buck was all of 140" and If I had a camera you would see him and my LW laying just downwind of him. I could of kicked myself. This buck was 70 yards from me in the pre-hung set I was in. I watched in absolute disbelief as this buck milled around for 10 minutes and then dissappeard back into the timber.

Lesson learned, this experience has taught me to trust my gut next time and not question what my experiences have taught me. If I had just trusted my intincts I would be posting pics and telling you a success story instead of this stupid sob story......... :evil:

DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Trust your instincts

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:42 am

That sucks, but thanks for sharing, we can learn from your experince.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:47 am

Oh yeah, I hunted Sunday too and this time I sat the ground. No dice didn't even see a deer.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:48 am

Been there... Those lessons that are learned hard. Usually keep the hunter from making the same mistake twice. Good luck on him in the future.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:31 am

I know how you feel!! Next time you will prevail.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:58 am

2nd guessing is a very real BIG problem of me and whitetail hunting... live and learn. good luck.
You can't kill em on the couch
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:03 am

Sucks man I know the feeling and im sure many other people on here do too from second guessing themselves all you can do is chalk it up as a mistake and move on. But thanks for sharing the story.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:35 am

Yeah, I know the feeling....Did nearly the same thing on Sunday night on one of the bucks I have been chasing. It sucks but atleast I got to see him.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:04 pm

I think we're all thinking the same .I too really wanted to set-up on my buck about 30 yards closer ,but it would.ve been a ground hunt.I scratched my head all day long and set-up in a tree instead.And not sure but a deer almost reached me by sundown.Now i,m kicking myself thinking that the ground hunt woulda put me on him during daylight.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:23 pm

thanks for the reminder. as a sidenote-i have killed a buck while bowhunting from the ground by simplyhiding behind a tree, i also wounded a nice buck while crouching in some weeds under a spruce tree-ground hunting can be done-even without a blind and nothing beats hunting at the deers eye level!
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:49 pm

Oh SNAP! I too have learned that lesson the hard way, either from trying to rush or just being lazy. I am trying to be more methodical about things now, but some of us are a little slower then others. Go get him buddy!
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”