When you don't find sign in season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

briar
500 Club

Re: When you don't find sign in season

Unread postby briar » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:17 am

I do really need to do that...funny thing is we don't have any marshes or hill country.. :cry: Our woods are patch work row crops and small woods. Generally here you get permission on 50-maybe 200 acres and have 20-75 of that being woods. You go in and find 2-5 ladder stands or find that when the woods start getting good, the property line ends. Thats more or less how our private land is set up. Its great because access is easy to get and people are nice, but on the other side of that coin, there are people with access everywhere and tresspassing just isn't really something folks are concerned about. If even one person messes up a little woods, the deer just move to the next property that has the same small woods and row crops. Our biggenst bucks in the area tend to come from the very suburban areas of pittsburgh where homes and extreme limited access keep bucks alive. I could go there but got tired of hunting with the sound of a leaf blower, lawn mower, kids playing, or dogs barking in the background...plus hunting isn't very accepted in that area and you feel like you are sneaking around all the time and I find that uncomfortable. We have some ok large blocks of public land but it gets attacked pretty good during a very popular rifle season every year. We also have a high amish population and they can be pretty tough on a deer population.

Do big deer get killed around here every year? Sure they do!! But most are by more or less accident or chance rather than a well set up and deployed beast program!!

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:49 am

briar wrote:I do really need to do that...funny thing is we don't have any marshes or hill country.. :cry: Our woods are patch work row crops and small woods. Generally here you get permission on 50-maybe 200 acres and have 20-75 of that being woods. You go in and find 2-5 ladder stands or find that when the woods start getting good, the property line ends. Thats more or less how our private land is set up. Its great because access is easy to get and people are nice, but on the other side of that coin, there are people with access everywhere and tresspassing just isn't really something folks are concerned about. If even one person messes up a little woods, the deer just move to the next property that has the same small woods and row crops. Our biggenst bucks in the area tend to come from the very suburban areas of pittsburgh where homes and extreme limited access keep bucks alive. I could go there but got tired of hunting with the sound of a leaf blower, lawn mower, kids playing, or dogs barking in the background...plus hunting isn't very accepted in that area and you feel like you are sneaking around all the time and I find that uncomfortable. We have some ok large blocks of public land but it gets attacked pretty good during a very popular rifle season every year. We also have a high population and they can be pretty tough on a deer population.

Do big deer get killed around here every year? Sure they do!! But most are by more or less accident or chance rather than a well set up and deployed beast program!!

Boy do you sound just like me. :shock: I think the key might be to go where everybody says the hunting sucks, cause those areas tend to get less hunting pressure. I've walked the nastiest crap I could find down in southern Mi public and there just isn't the sign. I could walk a transition line for days and not find anything that says hang a stand here. Also every time I find something that says well there might be some potential for a nice buck to be here, even though I don't see sign, there's a dang tree stand hanging there(left out all year, illegal). Lets face it, on these small public lands close to high population they get pounded and "WE" are not the only ones who will truck through the brush to try to find a secluded area. You get back as far as you can and oh look somebody is coming in from the other road. Back to the theory of crappy area = good area. I'm real tempted to go north to the famous TB zone of MI. They had a killing spree and people now complain there are no deer and many hunters have stopped hunting the area due to that and restrictions. Sounds like a good place for a deer to get older. The problem with that is I can drive 3.5hrs north to hunt MI, or 3.5hrs south and be in Oh or IN, so why bother with MI?
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:57 am

kenn1320....you know exactly what I am talking about!! I fought it with frustration for years and then just kinda accepted it and enjoyed doing what I could with what I have to work with. I scout in the spring, kinda script out the first half of my season with my scouting and as the rut approaches I adapt and hunt the sign more and more. IF somebody comes walking through I wave and breath...if I see deer its exciting, if i get a shot, its great...if not, its ok
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:21 am

Hey if you guys are ok or happy with it just keep doing what you are doing, if not all the info you need is on this site. I will say that I don't really have any marshes or big hills in the bigwood areas I hunt but a lot of the bedding tendencies are the same, bucks have habits to bed in areas that keep them safe and a lot of these habits are universal, you just have to apply them to the land you hunt. I've seen bucks bed in small ridges with 10-20 feet of elevation and in small pockets of swamp that a lot of people would walk right on by, if there is a will there is a way.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:52 am

headgear you are 1000% correct and I completely believe that with the right amount of time and effort big bucks could be scored in this area. I don't mean to sound like I have a "poor me" or defeatist attitude about it, I just know what killing a big buck isn't personally worth the sacrifices of time and money it would take me to do so. Maybe at one point it was, but I have moved past that point.

I have learned a ton from this site and really tried to apply a lot of it to "deer" and not just big bucks or bucks in general. We will see if any of my efforts and hours pay off this season. Its fun and I like learning, but constant effort with no payoff for years on end really changes your perception of what you are capable of.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:53 am

Sounds good briar, I was once a frustrated public land hunter but things really turned around for me once I found this site. I think my first 10 years bowhunting produced one encounter with a mature bucks, the last 4 years have produced a couple of kills and a several other encounters. It may seem like a massive investment of time and effort, at times it can be but when you scout and hunt with a purpose it can really shorten up the both the learning curve and time on stand. I've got 3 young kids at home and not a lot of free time, I scout when I can in the spring and hunt when I can in the fall, pretty much let the wife sleep in and hunt the evenings on the weekends plus a few vacation days I use here and there. I know I won't get a mature buck every year but I do feel like my odds have greatly improved.
obrion

Unread postby obrion » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:22 am

kenn1320 wrote:

Boy do you sound just like me. :shock: I think the key might be to go where everybody says the hunting sucks, cause those areas tend to get less hunting pressure. I've walked the nastiest crap I could find down in southern Mi public and there just isn't the sign. I could walk a transition line for days and not find anything that says hang a stand here. Also every time I find something that says well there might be some potential for a nice buck to be here, even though I don't see sign, there's a dang tree stand hanging there(left out all year, illegal). Lets face it, on these small public lands close to high population they get pounded and "WE" are not the only ones who will truck through the brush to try to find a secluded area. You get back as far as you can and oh look somebody is coming in from the other road. Back to the theory of crappy area = good area. I'm real tempted to go north to the famous TB zone of MI. They had a killing spree and people now complain there are no deer and many hunters have stopped hunting the area due to that and restrictions. Sounds like a good place for a deer to get older. The problem with that is I can drive 3.5hrs north to hunt MI, or 3.5hrs south and be in Oh or IN, so why bother with MI?

Living in SE Michigan i agree with this 100%. I don't have any leased land in Hillsdale/Jackson, so the hunts I am most excited for this year are all big woods going in blind hunts 5-6 hours away. I have planned one week for bow and one week for rifle. It's unfortunate that scouting these areas in the spring is a really hard thing for me to pull off with my family due to the drive. So, in season scouting it is, but honestly I am more optimistic due to the lower pressure, amount of acreage, and lack of access. And just like you I keep eying these other states and wondering if the grass is really that green....

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”