Breaking down the big woods. Best tips.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Re: Breaking down the big woods. Best tips.

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:04 pm

Bucky wrote:I always look for water... unless it is abundant.... next is points in both marsh and hills... access... food... then walk it

[ Post made via Android ] Image

What kind of food do you look for? I think I struggle with this unless there are ag fields nearby. Oaks in the woods are good, but require lots of scouting in person I think.

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:18 pm

JD506 try caltopo.com. I recommend using the topo as a base map then adding shaded relief as a layer. The shaded relief gives that 3d look to the terrain.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
SonofUlam

Unread postby SonofUlam » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:28 pm

Justin85 wrote:Check out bowhunter15 going in blind video. He really breaks it down on what to look for and narrow down areas.

Went out and found the video- it's very good, at least in my uneducated opinion.

[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pg17-CIXSU&list=UUrWvet_L5H1_AV3kATmydnQ&index=3[/bbvideo]
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:38 am

Thanks for the video and for the caltopo info. Ill check both. Im using Onxmaps for mapping aerials on google earth and its pretty helpful. I cant seem to get topo and the onxmaps overlays to work at the same time.

When using topo's, are you guys generally looking for likely pathways for all season (like a creek crossing, a bench next to creek), or funnels during the rut (saddles)?
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:27 am

I'll second "micro topography". Most of the beds I've found in areas you describe are on small rises, especially if surrounding area is swampy/marshy. I also look at the bases of any good size tree that is in a marshy area or is overgrown/brushy , like Dan shows in the Marsh bucks video

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”