Jared ( Whitetail Adrenaline) buck, 2014

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Jared ( Whitetail Adrenaline) buck, 2014

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:10 am

Here's a few more angles and pictures of the buck I was fortunate enough to take earlier this month. As you can see he was probably a day or two away from being out of velvet and this was actually my first velvet buck to date. A little more about what happened which will be showcased in the next video: Shey and I tried sneaking in on him the previous day and we got inside of 90 yards before he and 3 other bucks walked off and we couldn't cut him off in time. The following day we hiked up on a tall hill and after a couple hours of glassing spotted him get up and disappear in some taller grass. The wind was blowing furious on the hill but as we closed the half mile distance to the general area he disappeared we found the wind dissipated which made for a slow crawl. Then without warning as we were crawling through some knee high grass we caught a glimpse of him trot out of his hiding spot and over the crest of a hill where there was some alfalfa. After disappearing for a couple minutes our patience began to run thin. Do we hold tight and assume he's grabbing a quick snack and coming back or do we completely expose ourselves in an attempt to relocate and keep an eye on him. We were still very exposed in the short grass when suddenly his rack snapped above the horizon at about 60 yards. Meanwhile sneaking through the grass from our blindside was a nice 9 pointer that easily pegged us and sprinted off in plain sight of the big one. As luck would have it he didn't notice the 9 pointer fleeing until it was too late for him to determine where the danger came from. A doe that was standing next to him started getting nervous from the alerted 9 pointer and by this point the big one and the doe were both twisting there heads looking for danger and clearly they were about to flee. Suddenly the doe turned and started running right to us and he followed on a trot. The pressure was high knowing full well we were about to get spotted as we were coming into full view for him. I knew it was going to happen extremely fast. This wasn't going to be the take a deep breath you have plenty of time scenario. As he closed to inside of 20 yards he suddenly jerked his head and I drew! It was now or never! His entire body cavity was impossible to see as he stopped right in front of a thicket of grass between us. Shooting a fixed two blade head I knew the grass wasn't as big of a concern as trying to picture where exactly his body was behind the grass. There's several things that in that 1-2 seconds runs through a persons head and I knew he was probably less than a second from evacuating the area. I quickly decided to follow his neck down about a foot below where I couldn't see it anymore and back a bit trying to land the arrow behind where I visualized the shoulder would be. As I released he started to naturally duck and I felt like I sent the arrow too low but then I heard what I thought was an impact. As he bounded away and through the grass he didn't appear to really be hit and then he disappeared. As usual I ran to a spot where I could hopefully see where he went or where he was going but I never saw him. For probably 10 minutes we couldn't find the arrow or blood. We all know that hopeless feeling, I truly felt that I had hit him and there was know sign of it. We were just about to pull out and give him some time if he was hit when Shey spotted some blood. There had been a creek a few yards behind him and after the shot he ran into the creek and his side brushed the bank. It wasn't a lot of blood but at least we had something. At this point we pulled out for a couple hours, came back and followed a very faint blood trail for about a hundred yards before his rack I could see in the grass. His body was stiff already and on further evaluation the arrow entered in front of the shoulder on the neck and exited about 6 inches behind his opposite shoulder. How that arrow turned 90 degrees boggled my mind for a while but I think what happened was when that arrow started to enter he was just starting to turn his neck and I think the thrust and direction of that motion sent the arrow right up in his cavity. Either way everything worked out better than I could hope for and I thank God I had a longbow because in that situation getting drawn and pulling off the shot in that amount of time with a compound would have been unlikely. And thank you for hanging in there for all the deer I missed a couple years ago! - jared

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Jared ( Whitetail Adrenaline) buck, 2014

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:30 am

Awesome buck and awsome story! Congrats!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:39 am

Way to start the year off! Sounds like they will have another great video for next yesr. :clap:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:09 am

Bravo. :clap:
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
bowtarist

Unread postby bowtarist » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:10 am

Great deer! I'd love to hunt like yall do on your videos, but my terrain doesn't permit it.
Beartown18
500 Club

Unread postby Beartown18 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:07 am

8-)
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:18 pm

Didnt know jared was here on the forum? Congrats nice buck!

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:23 pm

Jared keeps gettin better every year, true big buck slayer. I love watching their videos

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:26 pm

Doesn't sound like a shot I would personally take... but I'm glad he got lucky!

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:54 pm

Easy to be a fan... Awesome buck.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:01 pm

:clap:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:26 pm

Darin wrote:Didnt know jared was here on the forum? Congrats nice buck!

dreaming bucks is free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he is Jared from Whitetail Adrenaline. I read this article on another site too so he probably just copy and pasted the article into this thread.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:25 pm

whitetail_addict wrote:
Darin wrote:Didnt know jared was here on the forum? Congrats nice buck!

dreaming bucks is free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he is Jared from Whitetail Adrenaline. I read this article on another site too so he probably just copy and pasted the article into this thread.

Exactly, I just posted the story is all, it was on their Facebook page.

Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:49 pm

Ohhh.

E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:41 am

Beautiful deer