Training for hill country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckfever
500 Club

Training for hill country

Unread postby Buckfever » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:23 pm

This year the nest is empty and I'm hoping to get back to it. So without needing to get back home early, I want to focus my effort on the public land hill country that is a little further away. So I got out there post season earlier this year and discovered that I'm a good bit older and traversing those hills and ravines is no joke. Seriously wondered how long I could do this let alone how I could pull a deer out of there. So this year I started in April twice a week going up and down a sledding hill. First walking with a pack but for the last 2 months running up and down working up to about an hour of running up and down the hill. Last week I went to pull the cards on the cams I had set for a 2 month soak and let me tell you my legs were laughing at those hills.

So don't let a little bit of hill training stand in the way of getting to some good hunting in the remote hill country.

Zap

Re: Training for hill country

Unread postby Zap » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:38 pm

:character-oldtimer:

:lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:00 pm

You did it right. I trained by carrying my stand on my back with a 25lb plate attached to it, along with carrying a 3lb weight to simulate my bow. I would walk several miles 2-3 times a wk and when I got to the hills I failed. It takes climbing hills to condition for hills!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:00 pm

Hill sprints are one of the best ways to REALLY get into shape. On a hot humid day I am gasping for breath in no time. :lol:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:27 pm

Hiking with a heavy pack and mountain biking are great too. Good luck! Feels great to be king of the mountain 8-)
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:40 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Hill sprints are one of the best ways to REALLY get into shape. On a hot humid day I am gasping for breath in no time. :lol:

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Yes, and they minimize the impact on your knees. If you are like me and do not have 'hills' anywhere within hundreds of miles, stair bounds are a great alternative.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:55 pm

Those hills are killer for sure. I exercise 30 minutes every day minimum. When I get into the hills I am gassed easy, the first few times out. I have to take my time rest a lot and go some more. I try and go at a pace where my legs don't burn. I'm just too stinking old to go fast. I find it the worst when the new batch of leaves hits the timber floor. Now it's slippery to boot.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mtmaggard

Unread postby mtmaggard » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:29 pm

I just got crushed by some rough hill country where I went in unprepared/out of shape with a stand + 5 sticks, simple pack, and bow. I knew i was in for a tough hike but had no idea how hard it was going to be.

An exercise plan is in the works now to get ready to try and hunt this spot at some point this season. It may be late but it cant hurt to start now.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:13 am

Buckfever wrote:This year the nest is empty and I'm hoping to get back to it. So without needing to get back home early, I want to focus my effort on the public land hill country that is a little further away. So I got out there post season earlier this year and discovered that I'm a good bit older and traversing those hills and ravines is no joke. Seriously wondered how long I could do this let alone how I could pull a deer out of there. So this year I started in April twice a week going up and down a sledding hill. First walking with a pack but for the last 2 months running up and down working up to about an hour of running up and down the hill. Last week I went to pull the cards on the cams I had set for a 2 month soak and let me tell you my legs were laughing at those hills.

So don't let a little bit of hill training stand in the way of getting to some good hunting in the remote hill country.

Go George go. You know I'd have figured you would be in pretty good shape after those marathon runs. Age has a way of creepin in.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:36 am

Buckfever wrote:This year the nest is empty and I'm hoping to get back to it. So without needing to get back home early, I want to focus my effort on the public land hill country that is a little further away. So I got out there post season earlier this year and discovered that I'm a good bit older and traversing those hills and ravines is no joke. Seriously wondered how long I could do this let alone how I could pull a deer out of there. So this year I started in April twice a week going up and down a sledding hill. First walking with a pack but for the last 2 months running up and down working up to about an hour of running up and down the hill. Last week I went to pull the cards on the cams I had set for a 2 month soak and let me tell you my legs were laughing at those hills.

Im right there with you. I can run stairs at work , box jumps , body squats and lunges. At home, some light weight work and incline treadmill with a weighted pack. Not the same as being out there but I know how those hills can beat you up , so do what you can to be ready.
Beartown18
500 Club

Unread postby Beartown18 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:45 am

I usually run on the treadmill with the biggest incline because all I have are hills here, works well for me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”