(DONE) Contest post for pics/stories / Closed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

huntinnurse
500 Club

Re: Contest post for pics/stories--Please read- new info

Unread postby huntinnurse » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:59 pm

For Dbl Lung per his request:

This is the buck I shot on Friday 10-29-10 @325pm. It was a rough week for me. I hate hunting in the wind and windy it was. However, I could not stay home due to a stand to move. So on Tuesday I went to move a stand to an area of our property with a new water hole. I knew the tree I wanted to hang the stand in as I had hunted out of it several times in the past. When I arrived at the new tree, a huge cottonwood, I did not realize I had left the treesteps in the tree. Normally the treesteps grow solidly into the tree right. Not in this case. After climbing the tree and pulling hard on all the treesteps to make sure they were secure I climbed the tree again with the rope attached to the treestand in one hand. While climbing the tree the 4th treestep pulled out of the tree and down I went. I caught myself with my hand on the treestep above but in the process the end of the treestep pierced my left palm and tore a 2 inch gash in my palm between the index and middle finger. While checking my hand out the doctor made a point to show me my ligaments and tendons. He basically told me how close I came to requiring surgery. While it may sound like it hurt it really did not. I told the doctor I needed to be able to draw my bow over the next few weeks. He aggreed that extra strong stitches would be used in order to keep the gash closed up.

On Wednesday I went to LaCrosse Archery to make sure I would be able to shoot my bow. I had to resight the bow in but everything seemed fine after shooting approximately 25 arrows.

I did not hunt Thursday as I wanted the swelling to go down in my hand. Friday I afternoon would be the end of a week I would have like to have forgotten before my hunt. I was in my stand at 245pm. At 315pm I had a doe come running toward me. I stood up and tried to locate the buck. After a short time I heard a loud grunt down the hill. I located the buck down the hill about 75 yards. The doe was playing hide and seek with him. As the buck started to climb the hill toward me and the doe he seemed quite large. Like 150" large. I don't know if it was the bad week making him seem so large or what but I grabbed the bow and as he reached the top of the bench I was sitting on I came to full draw. I grunted as he turned quartering away from me. He stopped and I smoked him at 325pm. I have never put a better hit on a deer in my life. I watched as he ran 40 yards a tipped over. I had a friend come and help with the dressing and drag. The dressing turned up a broadhead hole in each lung and the heart.

I guess I can say all my bad luck must have been used up at the beginning of the week because at the end of the week everything came together nicely.

--
Save a tree, kill a big buck!!

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:32 pm

Brother Joe and I wrapped up our 9 day bow hunt this past Sunday. Must say it was the best 9 days of whitetail hunting I've ever had. Joe got on the board first Sunday night with a public 3yo freak buck.

Monday morning I was scouting a piece of public I know pretty well. Instead of taking the normal path in, I hung a quick left and dove into a 3 acre patch of Russian olive. All I can say is thank God that stuff doesn't have thorns. I was thru the worst of it and gearing down as I approached the hardwoods when I see legs at 30 yards angling towards me. I couldn't tell if the deer had walked by or was still there when I heard deep grunt followed by branches being horned. The buck moved closer and now I can see his outline and glimpes of very dark horn. It was a classic standoff, there was nothing I could do. I stood, sat down and even slid to the side a foot but I couldn't find a hole, the ball was in his court. Finally he started to move towards my downwind side and I risked a move as he passed behind a thick section, busted! Three snorts and he was gone. I spent the next 2 hours scouring the immediate area and figured he wasn't bedding in the olive but did find his track leading to an open short point with a brushy fenceline on the backside. I prepped a tree at the point's tip just on the down hill side. I knew I'd have to hang low for an eye level shot at the top and keep myself under the canopy branches for a downhill shot to the thicket I'd seen him in that morning. I hung my stand at 5' as gray light broke the next morning. The leaves were wet and I knew I'd have to pay special attention to the top so I kept my eyes there for most of the morning, except when he showed up. I caught movement and looked over to see an eye popping rack angling towards me. He was eye level and well in range. I went for the camera and bow as he started to pass behind 3 large red oaks. I pointed the camera, hit record, clipped on the release and looked up just as he stopped shy of the third oak then looked in my general direction. I can't say he was a booner but the horns were black from base to tip, the tines were average to good height but thick and wavy. He was 20" plus inside and his beams had an upward sweep at the end. And that's the last I ever saw of him. I put my eyes down because I never thought it was a good idea to stare at them but mostly to keep my heart rate from flying off the chart. I heard him start to move, slid the bow back and he walked a straight line the next fifty yards keeping the oak between us, I couldn't even get the camera on him. It was an experience I'll never forget.

The next two days we had heavy wind and scouted a lot. Did see another real good buck, probably 4yo, working the downwind side of a down bedding area in the 50 plus gusts. Thursday morning it finally started calming down and Joe went back to the public he scored on Sunday. I think he's really starting to like this property.

Thursday night I went back to the public I saw the windy buck on. No horns but a doe came in just before dark.

Friday morning I cut up the doe and knew I needed a break from the deep plunge hang and hunts. It was relatively calm so I opted for a valley hunt on my Dad's 11 acres. It's basically just a weed field, short wood line and some strips of no till oats I'd planted in August. I'd been getting some good bucks on camera there including a main frame 10 with split G2's so I figured it was as good a place as any. The deer should be on a feeding pattern after the high winds and the oats had been getting clipped pretty good. The 200 yard walk and straight shot up the tree were much appreciated but darkness was setting in and the only action I had was listening to a group of turkeys roost on the neighbors hill. A late squirrel came hopping in and I considered some target pratice but he got thru before I could zip a judo at him. I gave the oat strip one last look and there stood a shooter at 40 yards, how he got there I'll never know. I swapped the judo for a broad head and peaked over my shoulder, the bucks head was down feeding. I went for the camera and had to wrap the arm around my backside to get an angle on him when I see a doe at 15. She was head bobbing and licking her nose, I felt the degree of difficulty ratchet up multiple notches. I stayed still and the doe calmed down enough to start feeding her way thru. Her course would take the buck to my extreme back left and I started to inch out on the edge of my stand. Just when I thought I was going to pull it off she caught movement, busted me and started high hopping away thru some goldenrod. The buck took this as a sign of lust, grunted short, then long and chased after her. It took three heavy bleats to stop him just above a small hole in the branches of the tree I was sitting in. I bent my knees till he was centered in the hole, figured about 40, settled the pin and touched it off. I heard the arrow tick and lost sight of it. For the shortest of moments I figured to be coming home with only a story but then heard a crack as his hind end dropped out from under him. He rolled into some golden rod and all was quiet. Knowing it was a bad hit, I sat quiet as a church mouse for the next 5 to 10 minutes with arrow ready. I heard movement in the golden rod, then saw a horn rise and fall followed by a groan.

Not my proudest of shots, it clipped the bottom of the pelvic and he more than likely bled out thru the femoral. But like I've said before, I've had more than my share of misfortune with hunting so I'll take the good fortune when it comes along.

Couldn't have asked for a better vacation but it was one of a lot of work. I had taken another doe that Monday we never took a picture of. All in all, we took 5 animals in 6 days of hunting and everything was butchered by the 7th day. Our freezers are full and it's time to start zeroing in on some of the other big ones we've been keeping tabs on. The next vaca starts November 12th and takes us right to gun season.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:02 am

Finally I closed the deal November 6th after an obnoxious morning in the woods! It started just after i got into the tree i heard deer approaching. When they got under the tree i could see it was 2 does and a fawn. They hung out beneath me for about 30 minutes as it got light when i heard some fighting just beyond the next ridge over..shortly after, here come the boys! There were 3 1.5yo bucks, two 8 pointers and a fork-horn followed by a would have been 10 point half rack which looked like a 2.5yo...they all chased the same doe into a small patch of brush and had her surrounded! i almost felt bad for her. i was contemplating on shooting the half rack because my goal was to shoot a 2.5yo buck and beat my personal best archery buck. I just couldn't get myself to draw the bow on him knowing there were better bucks around...After about 20 minutes of grunting, stomping, and snort-wheezing the gang of young bucks finally made their way over the ridge from which they came and left the doe alone. She eventually wandered over to a different piece of brush on my right that wouldn't keep her safe for long...i could hear a slow moving buck making short low pitch grunts heading for the doe. She bailed from hiding and started to head for the field above. The buck must have smelled she was not ready and turned in my direction, he was a shooter! When he closed the distance, I stopped him and sent my arrow flying. the hit looked low but good, and he ran up over the field, surprisingly not looking hurt too bad :roll: . i meant to range some trees that morning but with all the deer around me i couldn't move! so what i thought was 25 yards was closer to 32... i found the arrow with lots of tallow and good blood so my dad and i decided to give him a few hours before taking up the track job. lots of good blood for about 200 yards as he crossed the field towards a nasty thick stand of pines. as he neared the pines our blood trail started to run out but we could see the likely place he entered. We decided to split up and just look for a body, but i didn't get 30 yards in the pines and there he lay :D my best buck with a bow so far! it was a special moment for my dad and i because on the same day last year we recovered a buck he hit that went 300 yards with no blood, and we found him in a thick stand of pines(different property). i was glad my buck didn't take as long to find but if the hit was an inch lower i might not have found him at all. The buck has 9 points and a 16" spread. And to top it all off my dad scored on a 1.5 yo 8 point, so we made it a double!

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz14 ... ure197.jpg
When better is possible, good is never good enough
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:36 am

after spending countless hours in the field just like everyone else..i finaly connected! i had my eye on some great looking bucks and have been passing some great bucks that are bigger than the one i shot but i couldnt be any happier than right now. i was sitting on a ridge top in a woods and saw a buck making a scrape on the edge. i pulled out primos buck roar and made a few grunts along with a snort wheeze hoping to get a better look at him..as soon as that happened..he came trotting right for me..he stopped out about 80 and i hit the snort wheeze again..that sold him! came right into my 20 yd shooting lane and i let him have it..Rage in the Cage! Immediatly i could see blood pumping out as he ran off..the buck made it about 50 yards and crashed right away! Called my dad and a few other people to let them know what just happened..the bucks has 11 points! i have to give credit to the Rage 2-blade broadhead..iv had very good luck with them!this was a buck that i never knew or seen before..the rut just got him crusing for does in the wrong place.. its just a great feeling letting an arrow fly at a whitetail! nothing id rather be doing at this time of year than being in a tree..now that im tagged out..im headed out to film some friends! Good Luck to everyone else!
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:07 am

10 Point water hole buck

The work putting in these little water holes was worth it! It started out fast. On the first hunt of this water hole, I found it completely dry :evil: , I had filled it the week before, so I knew they were hitting it pretty good. Also, the ground was worn bare around this little hole. Although I didn't realize the barrel was dry until after the hunt when I went to check on the water level, I still had action that first hunt. A fawn and and a 3 1/2 8 point both stuck there heads in there within the first hour. The wet leaves remaing in there must have fooled their noses into believing there was actually water. Since it was the first morning of the hunt I elected to pass the 8 point. About an hour later, I see a doe quietly sneaking towards me, and then I here a grunt, and eventually see a HUGE buck! They are both making their way to the water hole, and I already have visions of this guy on my wall. Unfortanetly as it usually does during crunch time, things went sour, the doe had spotted me in the ladder stand a mere 7 yards away, the buck was only 20 yards behind her, but in some thick brush and facing me, with no chance for a shot. The doe eventually bolted, taking this slob with her, and out of my life forever, so much for his beatiful head gracing the walls of my den. Now, I really wanted to get the hole full again, but didn't want to make any unnecessary trips in ther to fill it. A couple of days later, I got my break when one of the guys in my camp shot at a decent 10 point not the slob, but a pretty nice buck out of a different stand, but the blood trail took us right past the water holes, we lost the blood trail, but I went back and got to 5 gallon jugs of water and filled the hole again. The weather forcast was calling for a warm up in a couple of days so I saved the stand for one of those nights. I also, had to head to Madison to watch my daughter in a gymnastics meet. I decide to skip the evening and the following morning hunt. She competed early Sunday morning so I would have time to get back for the evening hunt on Sunday. On the ride back it's approaching the mid 60's for temp. and I am thinking this is the perfect night to sit the water hole, as I get back to the property, the wind is not good for this stand, and I regretfully decide not to hunt the water. I only have tommorow (Mon) to get it done. I decide if the wind is right, I'll sit there Monday all day. We'll in the morning I catch the break I need the wind, has shifted enough that I believe I can pull it off. So to the stand I go, full of anticipation. I got set up an hour before shooting light, and wait, just as light is begining to peak through the trees, I here footsteps in the crunchy leaves, comming to the water. I can make out a deer shape, but honestly can't tell whether it's a buck or a doe. The deer takes a drink, and heads off as I gain light I can now see antlers as he is walking away. I plan on letting him get a little further, and then try to grunt him back. This is when I hear mor footsteps in the leaves, comming from the same direction. As they get closer, I can tell again they are heading for the water. But what I thought was a deer, was actually a coyote, that I believe was trailling the deer as he came in just up wind of the bucks trail, well the buck heres the coyote, and then blows out of there, so much for the grunt plan. Oh well, it's early and I still have time. Much to my disappointment the morining passes with only a nubby sighting. I am starting to second guess my self for sitting all day as I am getting hot now at 1:00pm., with the sun beating down on me. I should have brought some sunscreen. Well after a gruelling 3 and a half hours a doe and fawn make they way to the water. The fawns drink, but the doe doesn't. :? Maybe she is on to me. About a half hour later, I see antlers bobbing up and down behind the hill below me. I resist the urge to grunt at him, as he is already heading my way. He isn't the huge 10 pointer I had seen earlier in the season, but a nice buck none the less. As he inspects the water hole, my carbon arrow tipped with a Slick Trick broadhead, shot from my Forge Ventilator, pierces both lungs. He sprints a short distance and stops and turns back, trying to figure out what just happend. After a short while, his legs begin to get woosy, and over he goes, just like that the woods fall silent again. It was a long exhusting hunt, but on the last night I finally got it done,so I decide to just sit and take it all in. As I am gaining my composure, I begin to reflect on all the ideas and advice I have gotten off this site that contributed to taking this buck. How to play the wind and thermals, placing this water hole close to bedding, in an area where the deer feel safe, not over hunting it and timming the hunt for the best time,etc. Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this site, it truly has made be a better hunter!
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:28 pm

And now the rest of the story... It was Friday 11-05 and didn't know which part of my 40 acre property I would sit that Saturday morning.I finally decided around 9p.m. that I would take my stand out by the road(around 50 yds from the road).The deciding factor was I didn't want to distrub the property by walking in 20 acres to get to another stand.I was able to park at a neighboring farm that morning so I did not have to walk half way around the property.I pull up at around 5:30 a.m. and hop out of the truck and all of a sudden I hear ir ir irrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! I almost crapped my pants right then and there.I guess I just woke up his ROOSTER!! After getting ready I made the 200 yard walk to my stand not bothering my 40. It was a quiet morning to start.I was sitting on the edge of one of my food plots scanning every little crunch I heard.Around 7:40 I caught a glimpse of a deer to my east about 100 yards from me on the move coming from a doe bedding area.I knew it was a buck but couldn't tell how big.He was headed south to go to the next woods 40 acres away.The buck gets up to the road and stops near the ditch.Coming down the road is a car,and the buck waits until the car is right by him and then bolts back to where he came from.This is when I could see the size of the rack.As he is heading back way from me I threw him a Hailmary!! I hit the rattle and he stops in his tracks!I thought to myself Whoa :shock: So he was stopped and looking around so I decided to throw out two buck grunts.The deer starts swinging downwind of me.Thank GOD there was not much wind at the time.He gets pretty much straight north of me and decides to make his way to the south towards me. He got to my 35 yard lane but was quartering toward me so I passed.Finally he makes it out to my food plot but still no shot. He continues to the south 15 more yards and I released my arrow.Right of way I saw the shot was further back. So as he trotted away I told myself GO DOWN! GO DOWN!He stops 80 yards from the shot by the edge of the food plot.His legs start to buckle and then he falls.A huge deep breath by me and then I am doing fist pumps into the air!!I ended up catching the femeral artery and he bled like a pig. My first Bow Buck ends up being 10 points 18 1/4 inch spread and weighing 174 lbs. Normally I would have hunted this property a dozen times.This year was twice.I stayed away and didn't want to go to far to stir things up.It's really tough to stay away but it has paid off.Thank you fellow Beasts!!

wibowhntr

Unread postby wibowhntr » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:20 pm

First I would like to thank Dan and all the members on this great forum! By using the information that you freely shared it helped me have one of my most memorable hunts.

"A Hunt to Remember"

3 am came quickly Sunday morning as I rose to get ready for my hunt. Looking out the window I saw the ground was covered with a fresh blanket of snow. I couldn't get ready fast enough to take the hour drive down to the public land I hunt in Jackson County. I just knew today was going to be a great day because everything was perfect...the fresh snow, wind out of the west and the moon was underfoot around 8:15 am.

Even though I hurried I still arrived at the parking area a little later than I would have liked, but thankfully no one else was there. I finished getting ready and took off on the 3/4 of a mile hike back to where I was going to be hunting.

Once to the finger that headed NE off the side of the ridge, I found a perfect looking tree and hung my stand. By the time I finished hanging my stand it was already about 7 am.

I climbed up into my stand and started to put my safety strap around the tree when I noticed a deer coming from my right. I froze and watched as the button buck approached the base of the finger straight down-wind of me. As soon as I saw that he was going to continue to walk by I finished getting strapped to the tree. When I turned around I realized that I wasn't going to be able to use the bow holder attached to the side of my platform. While looking for a suitable place to hang my bow I noticed another deer in valley that nubbin had just entered. It was a large doe.

Shortly after spotting the doe, I heard grunting. I quickly took an arrow out of my quiver and got ready for action. The doe proceed to come up the side of the finger and crossed 40 yards in front of me. Not far behind her was a huge 6x4 buck! With my heart pounding through my chest I quickly ranged some opennings that the doe had passed through. I drew back and waited for the buck to reach the next openning. When he entered the openning squeezed the release. Ting...my arrow deflected off an unseen branch and flew harmlessly over the back of the buck. Not knowing what happened the doe and buck went up the finger and over the ridge.

Crushed by missing such a huge buck I texted my brother to see if I should move close to where the doe had crossed the finger. After discussing we decided that I should stay put in case another buck was following her trail.

About 45 minutes later I caught movement in the valley to my right. Here came a doe following the same path as the first doe. She crossed at exactly the same spot as the first doe. Within a minute or two here came the same 6x4 buck that I had missed following the doe that just passed through. My heart again began to pound out of my chest. I picked a spot that the buck would pass through and waited. All of a sudden the buck stopped and I panicked. He had stopped in an openning and I came to full draw and released. I watched as my arrow flew right under the buck. The buck again went up over the ridge. I couldn't believe that I had missed a second shot at the same buck!

Immediately I began to take my stand down...I was moving! I quickly found a good tree that was about 25 yards from the trail that the hot doe and buck had traveled. Within about 20 minutes I retrieved both of my arrows and was up in my new tree. Even though I retrieved both arrows only one was still usable so that left me with three good arrows in my quiver.

Around 11 am a doe came out of the valley to my right and passed 5 yards in front of me. She kept looking over her shoulder so I stood frozen watching where she had just come from. While waiting I heard a noise to my left which was straight in front of my stand. I slowly turned my head and to my utter suprise there was the big 6x4 that I had already missed twice. He had quietly snuck in on the wet leaves and was already through my first openning. Again feeling rushed I looked for the first opportunity for a shot. There was a fallen tree between the buck and I but I drew back and squatted down for what looked like a perfect shot. After releasing the arrow I heard a loud crack and stood there in disbelieve as I watched the doe and buck ran up to the upper part of the finger. Later when I got down and looked for my arrow I found part of the fletching and the bottom half of the arrow...the rest had exploded when it hit the tree.

To be continued in next post...
wibowhntr

Unread postby wibowhntr » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:07 pm

"A Hunt to Remember"...the conclusion

Now with the hot doe standing 40 yards from me on the upper part of the finger and they huge 6x4 standing about 30 yards above her all I could do is stand there wandering what had gone wrong that morning. While I was thinking I noticed that the doe was staring back down in the valley. The next thing I knew here came a nice buck following her trail that passed 5 yards in front of me. Looking at his rack I noticed he had decent mass and was probably a bordline shooter for me. But just seeing that the giant buck was still comfortably standing 70 yards away kept me from drawing back on the passing buck.

The new buck continued to following the does trail down the other side of the finger and down in the valley to the left. He must have come to where she turned and ran up to where she currently stood because he turned and then saw the other buck standing on the upper part of the finger. He stood motionless starring at the larger buck but the 6x4 was only concerned about his doe.

During this time the doe decided to bed down. I couldn't believe what was happening. Two shooter bucks and a hot doe and I couldn't do anything. I had tried my calls but it didn't even faze the big buck. After about 5 or 10 minutes the new smaller buck decided to bed down. For the next 30 or 40 minutes I got to enjoy watching a true monster buck.

After about 30 or 40 minutes the big 6x4 decided that the doe needed to get up and get moving. All I could think was...is it possible that I was going to actually get a forth shot at this giant. The giant moved closer to the doe grunting and bellowing as he walked. Finally the doe jumped up and trotted a few yards towards me. Slowly she continued to walk at an angle to my right back down into the valley. As his girlfriend was departing the giant buck slowly followed at a distance. He was actually walking straight to me when he decided to turn left and head a an angle away from me to stay above the doe. Knowing that the buck would soon be out of range and gone again, I found an small openning and drew back and released. The buck was slowly walking at 40 yards when I released and again my arrow seemed to finded a small branch an deflected behind the buck.

After this shot and miss I was totally devestated! I texted my brother on what had happened and told him I was done and was going to quit bowhunting. He told me to keep my chin up and it had to get better. After missing the same buck for a forth time I had forgotten about the other buck that was bedded to my left. Now with only the two arrows in my quiver from my first two misses I decided that I better clean the one off in case another buck came in.

I knocked my somewhat clean arrow and put my bow back in the holder. When I looked up I noticed that the other buck was now feeding on the side of the finger. The buck then started to head in my direction. I decided that if he gave me a good shot I was going to take it. This time I took my time and waited for the buck to come to the spot that I had picked out. He was slightly quartering towards me when I placed the pin behind his shoulder and released. I watched as my arrow disappeared in his side. It was about 5 inches back and right in the middle of his body up and down.

He ran a short distance and then started to walk. You could tell he wasn't feeling very well. He first bedded down about 50 yards from where he was shot. He stayed there for about 10 minutes and then got up and walked out of sight around the end of the finger. He then appeared to my left and again bedded down for a second and then got up a moved a few feet and bedded down again. After about 5 minutes he threw himself down the hill twice and then all was still.

I called my brother and excitedly told him that I had just shot a buck and he was down. He then left his hunting area and came and helped me drag the buck back the 3/4 of mile to the car. After a day of ups and downs I was glad to have my hands around this guys antlers.
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:56 pm

My very first kill with a bow & my first journey in Texas.

I decided 14 month ago to learn to be a bowhunter (and start my hunt in TX with some friends I make over there. So at that point began to learn about archery and bowhunting. I have taken this very seriously. I learned first buy reading some books (in English, you must understand it’s not the easiest way for me) practicing alone in my basement, filming me and send buy internet the video to some friend to receive some advices…
A few months after, I finally found a good 3 D club. So regularly training all this time to prepare me and perfect my archery skills. I should precise I had a very old generation of compound bow (a Bear “Silent Hunter”) with an draw length of 31” and I’m 28,5”… So it was not a piece of cake, but I think I get trough…
I bought an second hand bow to Nate and Jerry prepared to my so well that he looks like a new and on the good size! I pick it up in Texas when I land…Kevin bring it on the airport, like that I was able to see it directly.

Finally the 23rd of October I took of from Belgium to go in Dallas aria (7956Km of distances) for 3 weeks.

Kevin received me for the first week.
Spending all Sunday long on shopping (Granger, Cabela`s and some brand of Texan and US food restaurants) it’s so fun!!! But when we decided to coming back at Kevin House in Corsicana, we were stopped on the high way by and huge storm with 3 tornados and the stronger was as 15 miles from the house and we drove trough the damage aria... I was a little nevus to driving on those clouds (Kevin teasing my on this)...

Monday, we went on night hog hunt, I did shoot my very first prey with a bow!
And not an easy target...ok it was not a hog..."just" a racoon.
But I feel so proud of me to be a real bow hunter now...
First we were going late afternoon on Kevin spot. On the way I saw my first armadillo but not opportunity to take a shot...

After some time waiting quietly...at 7:05 the racoon come at +/-25 yards and Kevin asked me if I wanted to try a shot on him and in just on the time to say yes I aimed at it and shot it at a little less then 20 yards on a good spot. You know the result!

We were waiting for hogs but it was a full moon, warm and windy so we heard them from very very close but they decided to not go out on the feeder...
Today the wind condition will be better, so we will try again.

After Kevin spot we left and reach Deb and Michael in the Stretch a String Ranch close to Tyler TX...
What a spot!!!!!!!!!!! (Well, maybe not good as Deb’s!? You’ll see next why...).
There, I saw plenty of deer (female & young)...
I heard many Coyotes and hogs... But no kill. In fact I did a very nice approach on a doe, but just missed her at 38 yards (the shot was a few inches under her)...

And the 1st of November, we are on the Debbie spot! So the things are changing...
I just start with an armadillo kill the first night hunt on at 20 yards.
After, 5 does and yearling crossed our tree stand without coming closer.
In fact we put some papers for check the distances and they just didn’t like that...
After the shot (the Dillo) and other does cross our stand from an other direction and no way, she gone.
But the 2nd of November, this was my day!
After the visit of a old doe (She was pretty smart) a young male come right from my front left side (this time we were in a ground blind) at +\- 38 yards and stop for eat at 20 yards.
I didn’t let him end his meal and just shoot him! He makes a small way before die, just 7 yards. So we were thinking first it was a doe because we didn’t sow is spindles.

I did gave him the honours of the game, like we use to do here in Europe (Deb. film it…).

I can't believe it my very first big game with a bow!!!!!!!!!!!
What a different world then with a rifle...
A so big way makes for this conclusion. I’m so happy and yes proud of me.
It’s not an antler trophy, but you should understand that for me, it’s the most beautiful deer ever seen…

What a blast when it comes together!!!!! We started out just before sunrise.
We went to several spots. The 1st 3 we had cows and horses. No song dogs moving at any distance. He called in crows for us as well. Then we were headed to another spot, when, all of a sudden, Arron decided to go to another spot as I wanted to try with a bow. What an experience. A yote came out at 35 yds from me, but from a different spot than we were expecting. We all saw it at the same time. However, there was a tree between me and the yote. When the yote was about to turn and leave as it caught motion from me, Arron shot it with the shotgun from 20 yards. What a cool day!!!!!! I’m ready for the next time, I training me on the rabbit injured call...
Thanks Arron, it was a great day!

The journey was not finish! The 7th of November, Deb & I went on the Max boat, for an amazing bow fishing evening (7:00 PM to midnight).
I gat it in my blood. The first hit was a Gar! Carp and other fish did fallow!

THANKS KEVIN, DEB, ARRON, MAX and all the friends crossing!!!!!
THIS IS MY BEST TRIP EVER! AND I’LL NEVER FORGET IT!!!! NEVER!
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Mike K

Unread postby Mike K » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:40 am

Ok here it goes. My bow hunting season wasnt going the greatest. Only seen a few deer. Nothing big and only two little bucks total. I hunted mostly by switching my stand set-ups and only hunting them once or twice through out the season. I hunt the majority on public land and some on private land mainly because its close to home. On friday November 12th I decided to try a piece of public land that I've never hunted before. As I was walking in it started to look better and better. I reached a spot where the river bottom met the hardwoods above mixed in with a grove of pine trees. I thought to myself this looks very promising. I found a tree for my climber and up I went. Once up in the tree I noticed alot of trails that I couldnt see from the ground. My hopes were high. A hour into my sit the nieghbor to the west decided that he was going to clear all his paths for the upcoming gun season. Of course this is where I expected all the deer to come from. After his hour of snapping every branch as loud as he could it seemed he finally left. I was like great there goes this hunt!!! So I was sitting there kinda rejected and about 10 minutes before closing I notice a deer coming from where the nieghbor was. I stood up got my bow ready. 20 more feet to a shooting lane and just my luck the wind swirls. The deer sensed something was up and just slowly walked away back where it came.
Fast forward two days. November 14 and its my birthday. The morning hunt was nothing but strong winds and me freezing my but off. Got back home and my two kids had a present for me. I open it and its a new camo hat. My son who always brings me good luck says Daddy wear this today when you go out hunting it will bring you good luck. So I get ready for the afternoon hunt, slap on the new lucky hat and head out to the spot I was on friday. Get all set up wind is perfect today. It felt like something good was going to happen. At 340 I notice a buck coming from the same place the other deer was on friday. I stand up get ready. Sure enough same trail as last time. Gets into a shooting lane and I grunted to stop him. First time I ever done that. I place the 40 yd pin right behind the shoulder and whap of he goes. At first I thought I shot him in the paunch. He ran a semi circle a total of 40 yds and stopped. I was like ok he will bed down there. Nope he just fell over dead as can be. Not my biggest bow buck but with the lucky hat and it being my birthday I was tickled pink. Ended up being a double lung shot but I pierced his shoulder blade thats why he was running funny.
Mike K

Unread postby Mike K » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:03 am

Gun Hunt 2010
The friday before the opener I picked my some up from school. I started taking him gun hunting 2 years ago. This is the third year now. He makes everything so much more exciting. So we go home back everything up and head up north. On the way up I ask him hey what kind of deer should we shoot if one comes out. His response was anything bigger than the spike we got last year dad. I was like sounds good to me buddy. We hunt public land up north so its always a crab shoot as to how many people are hunting there.
430 wake up call and my son is not a morning person. I tell him hey we cant shoot one here in the cabin right so lets get dressed and go. We drive to the spot and I couldnt believe my eyes. Ive never seen so many cars parked were we usually go. So my brother and I decide hey lets just go back there and see if our spots are still there. We make the walk back and get to my spot. Nobody there sweet. I get the ground blind set up orange on top so its legal. My brother comes walking back. Someones in my spot where I normally sit. He went the other way and found a spot. So about a half hour before light I had to shine my flashlight at about 3 other people to let them know where we were.
I told my son hey there are alot of people out here today so we may not see anything. Lets just make it fun I told him. 630 the first shot rings out. Now hes excited because its light out and he can hear gun shots. 645 and I hear something coming through the woods. I slowly get my gun ready and I can see it now. Big Buck I tell my son. It stops about 70 yds out. Get my scope up and its behind a tree. But I notice orange right above where the deer is standing. I cant shoot. Now this other hunter is 40 yds from the deer in a treestand but he cant see it because of the low growing pine trees.
The buck takes another step and I dont know if it smelled the other guy but here he comes running right at us on a all out sprint. I was like Mase here he comes. He cuts down right in front of us and stops at 20 yards. I settle the crosshairs on him and shoot. He takes off running across the river.
I said to my son did you see that and he was like wow dad he was really close. He showed me with his arms how big it was. I knew it was a good buck but my sons explanation was priceless. I flag my brother to come over and help look. I wanted to get on the trail as soon as possible. We get down to where I shot it and no blood. I was like what the heck.
I could see where he ran in the soft mud of the river. We crossed that and saw where he was pushing the leaves with his front end. My brother was like found blood. I said hes right there!!!!!
I said lets go get him buddy. We got over to the buck. Perfect heart shot and he ran maybe 40 yds. I couldnt see him fall because of a huge tree that blocked my view. This was by far my heaviest deer. I had trouble trying to budge him.
My son says to me dad I think I'm your lucky charm. We shot 3 bucks in 3 years now.I said you sure are and gave him a great big hug.
Heres a picture. 10 pointer with a nice crab claw on the end
My sons smile says it all. Gotta love the great outdoors
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:11 am

I took this buck last week wednesday. This is a very emotional and difficult story for me to write. Just over three years ago my 20 year old son died in an auto accident. He loved nothing more than he did bow hunting. His last year of hunting he bought a new bow. He never did take a deer with that bow. I always wanted to take his bow and get a deer for him. But I found it to be just to difficult to even pick up his bow. Well this year I decided I was going take his bow into the woods with me. Last weds. night I set up along an edge where a rub line appeared every year. I had seen nothing all night until the very last minutes of shooting light. I could hear the steady and deliberate pace of a deer and I new it would be a buck. Sure enough the first thing I see is antlers. Well he walks through the first opening and doesnt give me a shot. If he continues straight ahead I will have no shot but at the last moment he veers to his right and enters an opening. I am at full draw and mouth bleat to stop him. The shot is tight behind his shoulder and hits his heart. After a few seconds all is quiet and I know he is down. This season I have seen 12 bucks and I have had the most fun I have ever had hunting. While none of these bucks were giants the one I killed made me as happy as any giant could have. Last I want to thank Dan as well as all the other BEAST members as I have learned more about hunting from all of you than I ever thought possible. God I cant wait for next year.[/img]
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:52 pm

Buck of a Life Time

Well... lets just say I just won the 2010 Missouri Rifle Opener Lottery!

I made two trips this past spring scouting a large chunk of Missouri public with some hunting buddies. The plan was a few of us would bow hunt the property this year and few would gun hunt. After the bow guys got back they said the pressure was way more than expected (guys from Michigan, Wisconsin, Georgia, Arkansas, Iowa, etc). Still wanting to make the trip I got out plat books and started exploring areas from scouting/observations and from information from bow hunting buddies that I thought the deer would get pushed into.

The next week I contacted a landowner via phone and was able to work out a deal to be able to hunt with him and his son (they were also non residents living in Iowa = I offerred to purchase their licenses to be able to hunt with them). I wanted to hunt the West end of property and it worked out that the landowner had his favorite gun stand on the East end of the property. On the topo there were multiple ridge points dumping down into a huge river bottom on the West side of the property. I marked on a topo an X where I thought I would like to go and showed the landowner on Friday when we met in Missouri. He was fine with the spot I selected and informed me that no one had hunted or walked into that part of his property in the past 5 years since it had been select cut (my excitement level went up slightly at that point 8-) ).

After the meeting, I quickly headed out to where he instructed me to park and hiked back roughly 60 acres through rolling ridges to get back to the spot marked with an X. The river bottom below was thick with slashings and fallen trees from flooding last year or this year = MEGA bedding area. I hung up on one of the ridge points so I could cover multiple ridge points/drainages coming out of the bottom.

Opening morning did not disappoint, when by noon I had seen 7 different bucks and almost 20 antlerless deer. Around 2:00 PM I looked to the sky and asked for just one opportunity at a shooter class buck... then around 2:45 PM this giant chased a doe out of that thick bottom up a ridge point/drainage about 150 yards across two other ridges from the one I was sitting on, I was able to make a neck shot on the deer (all I had) and he dropped. At first sight I thought nice 140 class buck, then minutes later while contacting my buddy via cell phone to let him know what had happened (he had already shot an 11pt that AM on the public) I saw a deer in the same vicinity as where I had shot, the deer looked injured and was stumbling toward the top of the ridge! I quickly threw the phone in my pocket and prepared for another shot. I picked him out through the brush/trees and took another shot. I don't believe I hit him on this shot. Next, I got down from my climber, changed out of my heavy close and went to the spot I thought I had shot the deer. I called my buddy back and told him I thought the deer was much bigger than 140 the second time I saw and figured he was closer to 160 class deer due to the mass of the rack. I found where I had tipped the deer over on the ridge top and had a super blood trail to follow over the ridge top.... On the other side of the ridge he was standing about 50-75 yards down and looked to be bleeding out. I shot him again he went down. This is where my excitement went through the roof as I could tell he had way more than 8pts and MEGA MEGA Mass! As I walked up to him I knew I had just shot the buck that I had always dreamed about! That is when I again looked to the sky and said THANK YOU for the Opportunity!

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

KS public land bow kill & MN Forgot my Bow buck

Unread postby Dor » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:41 pm

Forgot My Bow MN BUCK
Well I had been logging some long hours in the stand the week and 1/2 prior with very little to show for it in terms of mature buck sightings. As most of you know it's hard to lug your stand in pre-dawn set it up, sit till 12 or 1 daily and then get back out by 230-3. This hold especially true when little is seen in terms of mature buck sightings. This particular hunt goes to show that you need to keep at it because things can change fast and when least expected.

On the morning of 11-2-10 I decided to hunt a newer spot that I had little confidence in, but I knew some mature bucks traveled it despite the lack of sign. I awoke early and got all the way there only to realize I had forgotten my bow. Frustrated and annoyed, I turned around and went back home to grab the bow. By the time I finally made it back to my stand it was 7:45am....way late. I sat down, sent my buddy a text stating I had made it in safely and nocked an arrow. I looked up and there he was coming down the ridge. I had him down within sight at 8:02am. Officially the shortest hunt I have ever taken part in. :mrgreen:

KS DIY Public Land Bowkill 2010
Back from another year in KS. The crowds on the public chunks we hunt were thicker than the bucks this year no doubt, but it came together the last morning for me. Just when I started to consider heading elsewhere for 2011 a very average hunt became excellent in about 5 minutes. Just goes to show that the best thing you can do when in doubt is to be in a tree! You can't get lucky any other way.

The story was one of frustration for most of the hunt and I don't care to relive the tribulations with this years hunt. I will just say that I am more than frustrated with liberal tag issuance that is ruining the peace and tranquility we use to enjoy in our area. Enough of my whining. Besides, the good news far outweighs the negatives as I came home with the biggest buck of my life and I'm still on cloud 9. I may have not had a single evening hunt that went uninterrupted by another hunter, but all it takes is one good sit and thats exactly what I received my last morning there.

At 7:50 AM a stick cracked and then a thick webbed G4 popped out from behind a cedar and that was the only look I needed to know it was a big shooter. A rare no doubter. He then proceeded to step out next to a pre-ranged cedar I knew to be exactly 30yards. I drew and settled my 2nd pin (30 yard pin) in the middle of the chest. It NEVER comes together so perfect as it was going at this point. I had everything exactly how you would want it to go...EVERYTHING. However, that ended quick. As I shot he ducked ever so slightly and whirled away. My heart instantly sank...I knew I had just backstrapped a text-book chance at a true slob. The shot appeared way high. I sat there dejected reviewing the memory of what had just taken place.

I re-drew my bow to try and figure out how I had shot so high. I immediately realized that I had indeed settled my second pin alright....the second bright green pin (40 yard pin), completely disregarding the true 2nd pin, which is a duller orange color. What a boner move!:confused: As I continued to sit and think it occurred to me that I hadn't gotten a pass thru, which one would expect with a back strap shot. I had heard some crashing and snorting sounds. Maybe there was hope?

I texted my hunting partner and told him to meet me at the tree. With some hope (less than 5% chance in my mind still) we took up the trail and quickly found the arrow. It showed about 10 inches of penetration and a bent broadhead.....some bone had been encountered. Blood was good right off the bat, and after very short walk along an excellent blood trail there he laid. Speachless would be the best way to describe my state after we got to him.
I had hit him just below the spine. In fact I would later discover I deflected off the lower spine. The autopsy showed a high double lung shot. So much for the VOID conspiracy theorists.
I will let the pics due the rest of the talking.
ImageImageImage

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
tresleggos

Unread postby tresleggos » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:53 am

Well my WI gun tags are filled. I was tagged out by 930 yesterday morning in my normal area around buffalo cnty. ended up seeing 20 plus deer in 2.5 hrs...... doe came in early and i smoked her with a good heart shot on video at 60 yards. about an hr later i had 4 more deer making there way at the top of the ridge. first deer was a mature doe followed by a solid 170 plus looked main frame 10 next was my buck and a dink behind that. i couldnt find a hole in the world to get a shot on the first bruiser and the second buck stopped around 150 yards and i took a shot in some brush. the deer took off and i didnt no if i had hit him or not. the deer blazed thru the revign and i thought i missed. About a min later i heard my buck taking his last 2 deep breathes from his lungs and at that second i knew i had him dead. I taped my recovery since i wasnt able to catch in all on video. i go and check out the buck and until about a hr or so later when i went to drag it out with my dad i then noticed that it had a 7 inch Flyer/ drop tine on the left side that was buried in the dirt and leave. i was jacked and i still am pumped about this awesome buck! i havent put a tape on him yet but he has huge mass all around. and im aging him at 4.5 at leas.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”