Marsh or Hills?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigRed

Marsh or Hills?

Unread postby BigRed » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:10 pm

I dont know if this has been covered yet, but what does everyone prefer to hunt and why? Swamps or ridged, we do both here in SE MN. Is there a certain time or reason when you would choose one over the other? Just curious.

venisonassassin
500 Club

Re: Marsh or Hills?

Unread postby venisonassassin » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:35 pm

I'm from SE WI and we have a lot of marshy areas around here and not much for hills, in fact it's downright flat. I hunt it mainly because it's close by. I'd love to get out to the western part of wisconsin and hunt the ridge country more. As a matter of fact I may be headed out there for a weekend in Oct. to visit with some family, so I may get some hill country hunting in.
Do you guys have pretty good deer hunting over there in SE MN?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:31 pm

I prefer hunting in the marsh since I live a few miles from the largest cattail marsh in the U.S. and holds some of the largest bucks I have seen anywhere in the state. :D :D I love the challenge of hunting large public marsh's and have to admit it's not for everyone since it takes way more effort than most people are willing to put in but that is what I enjoy about it. Most people try it a few times and give up. I always say if you don't have ducks and muskrats swimming under your stand you are really not hunting in the marsh!! ;)

Not much for hill hunting in the area I live and probably the closest I come to hill hunting is in Northern Kettle Moraine State Forest but that isn't much at all compared to western WI or SE MN.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:28 am

Both...
Its easier to get big bucks in early and late season in the marsh, but hilly country is much easier to get big bucks in rut... This is because I can get really close to buck bedding areas in the marsh, sometimes within 50 yards undetected, but in hill country Its easy to look at a topo and know exactly where bucks should be cruising come rut...
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:37 am

Hill country is all I know and I am learning everytime I head to the hills. I don't claim to know alot about hill hunting, but that is what I like about it is you are always learning something new.
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:58 am

Hill country for me as it is all I really have hunted ever. Like Dan said I like being able to look at a topo and have a good idea where they may be.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:27 am

Marsh. Nothing beats the sound of a deer walking through the water and seeing tines sticking out of the cattails.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:30 am

I'm a swamp guy....don't know why just am. Don't have to dive in all the time, but one as to be near for my confidence.

Hill hunting is difficult for me, still don't have the wind effects and thermals down pat, yet. Dan's Hill video is honestly one of the only videos I sat and watched with a notepad jotting down information.

Just haven't applied it in the field but may next year.....
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:19 pm

Venison- our hunting here is pretty good, we do public with quite a bit of success. There are lots of good deer running around especially on the swamp. Currently we are after a 12 or 14 point 160's+ beast. The hills are good as well, but the asians like to shoot anything that moves so that has hurt the quality a little, but the big boys are still around. We hunt right across the river from Buffalo, in my mind theres not much difference, except publicity. Genetics here are just as good. I wouldn't want to hunt any other part of mn.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:57 pm

I am very interested in starting to hunt swamps, but have NEVER hunting marshy areas. Im going to order the Marsh bucks video. How much acreage do you need to use these tactics?
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:57 pm

I am very interested in starting to hunt swamps, but have NEVER hunting marshy areas. Im going to order the Marsh bucks video. How much acreage do you need to use these tactics?
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:05 pm

GRFox wrote:I am very interested in starting to hunt swamps, but have NEVER hunting marshy areas. Im going to order the Marsh bucks video. How much acreage do you need to use these tactics?

No specific acreage, Any size property can hold mature bucks. It all depends what your scouting reveals.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:09 pm

solocam88 wrote:Marsh. Nothing beats the sound of a deer walking through the water and seeing tines sticking out of the cattails.

I couldn't have said it better myself solocam88!! ;)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:06 pm

solocam88 wrote:
GRFox wrote:I am very interested in starting to hunt swamps, but have NEVER hunting marshy areas. Im going to order the Marsh bucks video. How much acreage do you need to use these tactics?

No specific acreage, Any size property can hold mature bucks. It all depends what your scouting reveals.

Solocam is right on... But I would like to add that many of the tactics discussed in Marsh bucks can be used in any terrain.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:00 am

Ive hunted both and I'd much rather hunt hill country. There is just something about it. I get really frustrated sometimes with the thermals/wind, but thats what makes it tough and fun.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”