Will she live??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ohmyrod

Will she live??

Unread postby ohmyrod » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:43 am

I shot a nice lone doe last night at 645pm I have a lighted nock and saw were I hit. The shot looked like it was perfect I thought either I blew out the heart or missed. The arrow had blood but grease on the shaft. Not a real good blood trail but bunch of blood on the ridge were I saw her standing for few seconds when I was in the tree. I started tracking 45 min after the shot and backed out after 100 yards. This am went back a tracked her for another 50-100 yards blood was decent but only in the tall grass then boom I kick her up she looked healthy and didnt look injured when she ran. When I inspected were she was bedded there was a blood the size of your fist it was bright red but felt like it was sitting there for a while (thick) starting to dry. Im thinking I shot too low missing the heart and anything vital. I know I didnt gut shoot her. I think she'll live. Any Thoughts??

liv4rut

Re: Will she live??

Unread postby liv4rut » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:50 am

If she made it through the night i would have to say she will make it unless the coyotes run her down or she gets infection. Sounds like a low, maybe brisket shot? I have done this myself and shot the deer again during gun season.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:53 am

Sounds like she may very well live.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:17 am

If u hit vitals in that situation she would be dead... I'm voting she lives on

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:16 am

I agree with the brisket shot theory. There is a lot of fat there and the deer will bleed a bit, but she should live.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:59 am

I one lunged a doe one year that ran 75 yards and bedded down. I beileve she laid on the wounded side. I came back 4 hours later to track her and jumped her out of her bed. She ran hard and bled out fast. I came back the next morning and found her laying dead 60 yards from the first bed that I jumped her in. My theory is that she was able to breath on the one lung and enough weight on the punctured lung to stop the bleeding when she laid on it.

They are al different though!
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:07 am

What part of the arrow had blood on it. From what I have seen a non vital hit will have blood on the fletching but not much on the shaft.

Maybe the deer that you jumped was another deer?

Sometimes you will benefit from pushing a deer and not backing off, especially when the hit is not thru vitals.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
ohmyrod

Unread postby ohmyrod » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:35 am

Thanks guys.
Zap, yeah the the shaft had the fat and the vanes had the blood on with some short white hairs. The blade also didnt really have any knicks on it that I could see...
Also I know its same same deer that I kicked up fallowed the blood right to where she was laying.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:08 pm

Sounds like she will be fine. She made it through the night an you bumped her an she moved good. She will be okay.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Sounds like a low brisket shot... ive tracked a few just like it... the fat on the shaft is usually the give away... however with my xbow ive also killed a few where the arrow looks like a bad hit... not sure if the speed of the arrow doesnt give time to get bloody or what.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”