How would i shoot two bucks with bow in Wisconsin?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

How would i shoot two bucks with bow in Wisconsin?

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:37 am

Seeing other members tag out early led to this thought. If I killed a buck early what do I have to do to kill another?

I know I need to kill a doe but in some other unit? CWD zone?

chasemukluk

Re: How would i shoot two bucks with bow in Wisconsin?

Unread postby chasemukluk » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:18 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:Seeing other members tag out early led to this thought. If I killed a buck early what do I have to do to kill another?

Well, there are no longer CWD zones in WI. So, first step is to read the reg. book. They actually explain the procedure really well in it.

I can try to explain....
So, if you have an earn a buck sticker from last year you can use it in any Southern Farmland Zone. Your earn a buck sticker needs to be attached to a valid antlerless tag. In the southern farmland zone, you can use the one issued with your buck tag.

In your case, it sounds like you will need to shoot a doe in the southern farmland zone. Then take it in and register it. Request an earn a buck sticker at registration. Then you would need to buy another bonus antlerless tag for the are you are going to hunt so you have a tag to stick your earn a buck onto.

You may actually want to save your farmland doe tag (you can use it in any farmland zone), and buy a bonus tag for the area you know you can take a doe. Use the tag you purchased seperately to get your doe and earn a buck sticker. Then hunt any southern farmland zone to get your second buck.

I shot my biggest with my bow on opening day this year. So my plan is to use my antlerless farmland tag and bonus buck tag from last year to try and take a second buck.
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:07 am

chasemukluk wrote:
BigHills BuckHunter wrote:Seeing other members tag out early led to this thought. If I killed a buck early what do I have to do to kill another?

Well, there are no longer CWD zones in WI. So, first step is to read the reg. book. They actually explain the procedure really well in it.

I can try to explain....
So, if you have an earn a buck sticker from last year you can use it in any Southern Farmland Zone. Your earn a buck sticker needs to be attached to a valid antlerless tag. In the southern farmland zone, you can use the one issued with your buck tag.

In your case, it sounds like you will need to shoot a doe in the southern farmland zone. Then take it in and register it. Request an earn a buck sticker at registration. Then you would need to buy another bonus antlerless tag for the are you are going to hunt so you have a tag to stick your earn a buck onto.

You may actually want to save your farmland doe tag (you can use it in any farmland zone), and buy a bonus tag for the area you know you can take a doe. Use the tag you purchased seperately to get your doe and earn a buck sticker. Then hunt any southern farmland zone to get your second buck.

I shot my biggest with my bow on opening day this year. So my plan is to use my antlerless farmland tag and bonus buck tag from last year to try and take a second

Similar to my plan. I am saving my regular buck tag for up north rut hunting. Down here I have an extra buck tag I earned by shooting a doe in December in a CWD zone. I plan to be less picky down here with that second buck tag :lol:

chris
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:46 pm

BigHunt asked me the same question earlier in the week after harvesting his public land doe. It is important to note that you DO NOT need to purchase an additional SPECIFIC anterless tag if you have a conservation patron license or both a gun and archery license. You get two antlerless tags with the conservation patron license and one each with the gun and archery license. If you only have the bow license, purchase your gun license and you will have your necessary antlerless tag for your buck tag. If you burned the first antlerless tag in the central WI farmland zone, you will need to purchase the additional tag for your second buck. In fact, from a whole state strategy standpoint, you are better off buying an antlerless tag for a central WI farmland if you intend to shoot an antlerless deer in that zone.
chasemukluk

Unread postby chasemukluk » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:45 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:BigHunt asked me the same question earlier in the week after harvesting his public land doe. It is important to note that you DO NOT need to purchase an additional SPECIFIC anterless tag if you have a conservation patron license or both a gun and archery license. You get two antlerless tags with the conservation patron license and one each with the gun and archery license. If you only have the bow license, purchase your gun license and you will have your necessary antlerless tag for your buck tag. If you burned the first antlerless tag in the central WI farmland zone, you will need to purchase the additional tag for your second buck. In fact, from a whole state strategy standpoint, you are better off buying an antlerless tag for a central WI farmland if you intend to shoot an antlerless deer in that zone.

Yes I agree. Buy a bonus tag where you know you can shoot a doe. Save the Farmland doe tag to use with your buck tag in the southern zone.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:06 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I would have to look around for some good public in the Southern zone if I did kill my buck early.
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:11 am

I have a buck sticker for the southern zone that I will not be using as I lost access to the land. I wish I could just give it away, but it is by customer# so I get to look at it until is expires! :violin:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”