Out of state public ground hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowtarist

Out of state public ground hunt

Unread postby bowtarist » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:08 am

Hello men! First time poster. I've been reading this sight every waking minute since I found it. This place is awesome. I have a question for you guys.

I'm heading to KY the last week of Oct. to hunt a bow only WMA. The land is more of a duck hunting wma and has a lot of shallow marsh. Would it be possible for me to apply these bedding tactics that I read so much about on a hunt such as this? What are some things you would key in on?

Thanks for all your advice!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Out of state public ground hunt

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:15 am

bowtarist wrote:Hello men! First time poster. I've been reading this sight every waking minute since I found it. This place is awesome. I have a question for you guys.

I'm heading to KY the last week of Oct. to hunt a bow only WMA. The land is more of a duck hunting wma and has a lot of shallow marsh. Would it be possible for me to apply these bedding tactics that I read so much about on a hunt such as this? What are some things you would key in on?

Thanks for all your advice!

Marsh is one of the easiest terrains to bed hunt... I like it more early season though... I generally seek out hilly stuff for rut. But I have taken some big bucks bed hunting in marshes in rut.

My main suggestion would be to hunt the thick stuff on the edges where the terrain transforms from woods to cattails. I could go on and on, but I would be writing a book... We have a video in the H/B store called hunting marsh bucks that does go into great detail about every aspect of hunting beds in marshes if your interested. Otherwise search the site for marsh tactics, most of it has been discussed at one time or another.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:58 am

Welcome to the Beast. I would definitely get the marsh DVD and watch it a few times before you head to KY to hunt. Might not hurt to get the Hill DVD also.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:30 am

Stanley wrote:Welcome to the Beast. I would definitely get the marsh DVD and watch it a few times before you head to KY to hunt. Might not hurt to get the Hill DVD also.

I second that get both DVDs the marsh one you can apart different terrains to that DVD
Welcome to the beast

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
chasemukluk

Unread postby chasemukluk » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am

Lot's of great info in the DVD Dan suggested!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:39 am

I have found that you can apply the bed hunting tactics taught through the Beast to any terrain you hunt.

I generally hunt hill country, but have applies techniques from the marsh video to other terrains such as acres upon acres of crp as well.

If you decide to pick up the Marsh and Hill Country DVDs they will be a wealth of information you can view time and time again and pickup something new each time.

Welcome to the BEAST! :dance: :dance:
bowtarist

Unread postby bowtarist » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:40 am

Thanks for the replies guys! I will look into the DVD's.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:41 am

It would be a sin for you to head into that Marsh without watching the Marsh Bucks dvd, trust me, you will just kick yourself later when you do watch it.

If you are expecting some rut movement you don't have to go crazy trying to get right on top of the beds, get on a transition like dan pointed out, between some suspected bedding and HUNT ALL DAY. Some of the best cruising in those areas can be late morning through early afternoon.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”