Game plan... I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Exophysical

Game plan... I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

Unread postby Exophysical » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:43 am

Just curious what kind of a game plan you guys use for a typical day of hunting and why? Mine varies with the species as well as a bunch of other factors but mostly being a big timber rifle hunter my typical day goes as follows...

I've busted more deer trying to get into a stand before dark than I've ever actually shot as a result of being on stand for the crack of dawn, as well I've often been frustrated as changing winds and conditions ruined a stand hunt as the day develops, so for day break I'll usualy be still hunting in an area where I've got multiple options for modifying my hunt as the day develops. By 10-11 I've got a pretty good idea how the wind wants to act and after lunch I will usually switch areas and hunt a stand for the evening, picking my location according to the wind and what the sign is telling me.

Looking forward to learning some new things from you guys.

They say millwrights can fix anything except a broken heart, but I've even got a tool that can do that!
christian1
500 Club

Re: Game plan... I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

Unread postby christian1 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:55 am

For gun hunting I really like what you are saying. My only thing would be that I would like to be on stand as I haven't had much success still hunting. I should probably just try to get better at it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Beartown18
500 Club

Unread postby Beartown18 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:53 am

I like the concept you laid out, I normally get in an hour before dark but have never killed a mature buck before nine o clock in the morning. I usually hunt in a stand until eleven or so get down and eat lunch then go back around 2 and hunt an evening stand. I realize I need to be more mobile and I am gonna work on that this year. My biggest change is I am gonna eat a good breakfast,lol, and shoot to get in my stand around eight or so in the morning and hunt all day if the wind is in my favor, if the wind changes I will climb down and move which I have never done in the past, I usually just stuck it out in the stand thinking that getting down would ruin my hunt.
Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:25 am

christian1 wrote:For gun hunting I really like what you are saying. My only thing would be that I would like to be on stand as I haven't had much success still hunting. I should probably just try to get better at it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I hunt stands in the morning sometimes too if I have a really good prevailing wind but I've all but stopped trying to get in before legal light, and I go slow, more or less still hunt to my stand. What inspired me to post this is that today I went to hunt an area where most of the deer movement occurs in a bottleneck so I figured I may as well just watch the bottle neck, I went in at legal light but I was moving too fast and carrying a lawn chair in one hand, without any prevailing wind it was anyone's guess what might happen. So when I blundered over a hill and spooked a group of 3 nice bucks all I could do was watch them run off into the bush and wonder why, once again, I'd cut a bunch of corners that I knew I shouldn't have. I sat in my lawn chair and watched the bottleneck for a few hours but the wind wasn't really behaving itself and I didn't see anything, I guess that's what early season hunts are for... working the kinks out again.
They say millwrights can fix anything except a broken heart, but I've even got a tool that can do that!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”