setting up on the backside of trees

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

briar
500 Club

setting up on the backside of trees

Unread postby briar » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:34 am

Anyone do this intentionally to use the tree that are in as cover expecially when cover isn't prevalent in the tree you need to be in? It does mean you have to stand a good bit but for a couple hours I have found it works pretty good. Anyone else?

Dewey

Re: setting up on the backside of trees

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:42 am

I have done this and some spots it may be the only option. Works fine for short hunts but wouldn't want to do it on an all day rut hunt.
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:46 am

Same here. Usually when I have to be lower than I would like in the tree.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:51 am

I have done it before. Usually in spots with limited cover.

Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:53 am

The trees are to my front everytime because I use a tree saddle most times, it is deadly camo

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:55 am

I personally think it is a huge error. First off you have to see what is coming no matter what. If making that harder and more difficult then it is not a good idea. If you have to move more than your eyes to watch you are moving too much. Now the shot. It is so much harder shooting around a tree your options are very limited that way.

You have to have a shot, and the more shot possibilities the better. I never could understand the concept. I have taken a few shots over the years behind the tree and it usually didn't end good. The odds of killing a buck behind the tree are greatly reduced. This is not opinion but a fact.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:05 am

Stanley wrote:I personally think it is a huge error. First off you have to see what is coming no matter what. If making that harder and more difficult then it is not a good idea. If you have to move more than your eyes to watch you are moving too much. Now the shot. It is so much harder shooting around a tree your options are very limited that way.

You have to have a shot, and the more shot possibilities the better. I never could understand the concept. I have taken a few shots over the years behind the tree and it usually didn't end good. The odds of killing a buck behind the tree are greatly reduced. This is not opinion but a fact.

Stan I think the method is let them walk past you and shoot them broadside or quartering away. I used to do that a lot, but it sucks twisting around to look every time you think you hear something. No I cant stand for hours, my lower back goes out. That being said and I say this jokingly, doesnt the deer always seem to end up on the other side of your tree? Maybe sitting on the backside you will end up on the right side? :lol:
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:19 am

kenn1320 wrote:. I used to do that a lot, but it sucks twisting around to look every time you think you hear something. :lol:

That's why they made the "Deer View Mirror" :mrgreen:
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:43 am

Southern Man wrote:
kenn1320 wrote:. I used to do that a lot, but it sucks twisting around to look every time you think you hear something. :lol:

That's why they made the "Deer View Mirror" :mrgreen:

Shsssssssssssh now everybody will get one or two..........
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
ajack

Unread postby ajack » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:44 am

I used to do this but got bust way to many times. I face where there coming from if I have to options for now on.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:28 am

Stanley wrote:I personally think it is a huge error. First off you have to see what is coming no matter what. If making that harder and more difficult then it is not a good idea. If you have to move more than your eyes to watch you are moving too much. Now the shot. It is so much harder shooting around a tree your options are very limited that way.

If I had been doing this Monday night it's a very high probability that I would have a 150"+ buck in the Kill Zone right now. I was sitting facing in the direction I thought a buck might come from but my gut was telling me to watch over my left shoulder as well. By the time I heard the buck behind me the shot opportunity was gone. The wind completely died down and the thermals were dropping straight down so he never smelled me even though he was what was straight downwind earlier. Lesson learned was always stand and watch 360 degrees if possible.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:31 am

kenn1320 wrote:
Stanley wrote:I personally think it is a huge error. First off you have to see what is coming no matter what. If making that harder and more difficult then it is not a good idea. If you have to move more than your eyes to watch you areo moving too much. Now the shot. It is so much harder shooting around a tree your options are very limited that way.

Stan I think the method is let them walk past you and shoot them broadside or quartering away. I used to do that a lot, but it sucks twisting around to look every time you think you hear something. No I cant stand for hours, my lower back goes out. That being said and I say this jokingly, doesnt the deer always seem to end up on the other side of your tree? Maybe sitting on the backside you will end up on the right side? :lol:

That is my method. I set the stand just about parallel with the travel route and that way I am out of their view until they are broadside. This puts them to my left and gives me a nice comfortable shot.

I think Stanley is talking about when the tree is between you and the deer, in which case I agree your always compromising your shot.

Beartown18
500 Club

Unread postby Beartown18 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:44 am

I always face where I think they will come from, it is easier for me to see them, and it limits my movements.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:14 am

The reason I ask is, what if the tree has a backward lean? How do you set the stand? At least if I am on the backside of the lean I don't feel like I am going to fall off the front of the platform...I can set the stand for that.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:02 am

Stan when you are mobile and hunting dozens of different beds/trees not everything can be perfect every sit. Sometimes you have no cover and have to put tree between you and where you expect the deer to come from. Sometimes the wind isn't right for the tree you picked out and you have to make other less desirable trees work for you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”