setting up on the backside of trees

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

Re: setting up on the backside of trees

Unread postby Zap » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:08 am

There is nothing wrong with any motivation that gets someone out in the woods and fields hunting... :mrgreen:

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:51 pm

Stanley wrote:Great topic for discussion. Interesting how many see an advantage or disadvantage on setting up behind the tree. I am totally surprised how many think behind the tree gives you an advantage. :think: I also wonder if the guys that are saying they are successful behind the tree are talking deer period or big bucks. When I say something is better or worse I am always talking big bucks not just deer. Things are almost always easier on does and small bucks. :think:

I set up on the back side quite a bit. I don't kill big bucks though, there aren't any around. ;)

I have never been picked off by a buck while on the backside of the tree motionless, but on the front side I have… If you are moving when you should't it don't matter which side of the tree you are on.

I see you and Dan are pretty adamant about this because of having a few bad experiences. But I know Dan was picked off last year by a big buck when he was on the front side of the tree, so it goes both ways.

Not trying to sling mud, but things can go wrong in either situation and things can go right too.

IDK, I personally feel naked in a barren tree with a buck coming on a string and trying to draw, but that's just me, maybe that will change a few years down the road, who knows.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:18 pm

Stanley certainly has killed an awful lot of nice bucks..... 8-)
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:27 pm

Stanley wrote:
Dewey wrote:Too bad John Eberhart isn't here to give his take on this. Nobody can come close to matching him with this tactic on killing mature bucks.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I am not familiar with John Eberhart. To be honest I had to look up his name and see he has a web site selling books and DVDs. I am also in no position to talk about the treesaddle either as I have never used one. I wonder why the treesaddle is not the stand of preference for the majority of hunters? It would be interesting to hear his opinion on the subject.

I've read all eberberts books and think he is the real deal... I think the thing about the saddle is u need to really take some time to get used to shooting from that position which most won't do. He very often sets up behind the tree, but also faces the tree at the same time, cause he can rest against it and slowly swing to the side for the shot. The saddle is really a totally different game than a normal stand so it's not fair to compare them for this discussion. The downside I see of the saddle is it takes a lot of getting used to

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Make It Happen
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:01 pm

Swampbuck wrote:
Stanley wrote:
Dewey wrote:Too bad John Eberhart isn't here to give his take on this. Nobody can come close to matching him with this tactic on killing mature bucks.

I am not familiar with John Eberhart. To be honest I had to look up his name and see he has a web site selling books and DVDs. I am also in no position to talk about the treesaddle either as I have never used one. I wonder why the treesaddle is not the stand of preference for the majority of hunters? It would be interesting to hear his opinion on the subject.

I've read all eberberts books and think he is the real deal... I think the thing about the saddle is u need to really take some time to get used to shooting from that position which most won't do. He very often sets up behind the tree, but also faces the tree at the same time, cause he can rest against it and slowly swing to the side for the shot. The saddle is really a totally different game than a normal stand so it's not fair to compare them for this discussion. The downside I see of the saddle is it takes a lot of getting used to

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I second that as well, t takes a little time to figure it out but once you do they don't compare to a tree stand

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:04 pm

PalmettoKid wrote:
Stanley wrote:Great topic for discussion. Interesting how many see an advantage or disadvantage on setting up behind the tree. I am totally surprised how many think behind the tree gives you an advantage. :think: I also wonder if the guys that are saying they are successful behind the tree are talking deer period or big bucks. When I say something is better or worse I am always talking big bucks not just deer. Things are almost always easier on does and small bucks. :think:

I set up on the back side quite a bit. I don't kill big bucks though, there aren't any around. ;)

I have never been picked off by a buck while on the backside of the tree motionless, but on the front side I have… If you are moving when you should't it don't matter which side of the tree you are on.

I see you and Dan are pretty adamant about this because of having a few bad experiences. But I know Dan was picked off last year by a big buck when he was on the front side of the tree, so it goes both ways.

Not trying to sling mud, but things can go wrong in either situation and things can go right too.

IDK, I personally feel naked in a barren tree with a buck coming on a string and trying to draw, but that's just me, maybe that will change a few years down the road, who knows.

I think for me the biggest difference is I have much more control of the situation on the front side. I have a full 180 degrees in front of me to move the bow and pick a shot. Plus I have a few degrees to the left of that and few degrees to the right of that. If I'm on the back side I have a big chunk of real estate right in front of me that interferes with swinging the bow. I also have the safety harness to work around.

Now if the buck gets past midway(on the backside) I have to do a lot of maneuvering to get the bow into a position to make a shot to the left. The shot to the left is most natural for a right hander. On the front side I can draw the bow put the pin on and twist at the hip. This makes the shot so much smoother and less rushed than having to work to get the bow into position on the back side.

A couple other things to point out. A buck in the brush or heavy cover is much less likely to pick you off than a buck in the open. A buck that is moving is less likely to pick you off than a buck standing still. On a windy day you are much less likely to get picked off than on a dead calm wind day. A buck with a doe is less likely to pick you off than a buck that is alone. It also helps immensely if you are pretty sure of the direction the buck will come from.

I think Dewey mentioned something about John Eberhart and his success with some kind of treesaddle? I would want to hear some reports from guys that aren't selling the product. I don't think John Eberhart is going to say anything other than positive on a product he sells and endorses. It sounds like he knows his onions. It's the potatoes he's putting them on that has me curious.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:18 pm

Ironically, due to the angle of the tree, I had to set up on the back side of my tree today... Thought that was funny, made me think about this thread.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:23 pm

:shock:

:P
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:16 pm

:D
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:32 pm

dan wrote:Ironically, due to the angle of the tree, I had to set up on the back side of my tree today... Thought that was funny, made me think about this thread.

I was watching the Steelers game and chuckled every once in a while thinking about this. Still chuckling some. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:35 pm

Zap wrote:Stanley certainly has killed an awful lot of nice bucks..... 8-)

I'll give you the $20.00 later. ;)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:39 pm

Should have set up on the backside of the brush I sat in tonight. Maybe I would have seen what was behind me and bolted! :lol:

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:40 pm

Stanley wrote:
Zap wrote:Stanley certainly has killed an awful lot of nice bucks..... 8-)

I'll give you the $20.00 later. ;)

:dance:

What? You thought that I have not been paying attention?

You are on the serial killer list..... 8-)
fowlskies

Unread postby fowlskies » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:48 pm

Eberhart never sold or got paid from the TL treesaddles. In fact he still touts them today and they have been out of business for years. He actually helped design the new Aero Hunter Evolution but doesn't sell them but very much believes in saddle hunting no matter the brand.

The major reason that tree saddles have not taken off is because they cannot get a safety rating from the tree stand rating committee (cant think of their name offhand). They require a five point harness system which can't be achieved without incorporating a harness that goes around your shoulders and looses the advantage that saddles provide. Without this rating no major market will pick them up.
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:54 pm

fowlskies wrote:Eberhart never sold or got paid from the TL treesaddles. In fact he still touts them today and they have been out of business for years. He actually helped design the new Aero Hunter Evolution but doesn't sell them but very much believes in saddle hunting no matter the brand.

The major reason that tree saddles have not taken off is because they cannot get a safety rating from the tree stand rating committee (cant think of their name offhand). They require a five point harness system which can't be achieved without incorporating a harness that goes around your shoulders and looses the advantage that saddles provide. Without this rating no major market will pick them up.

Not knocking him at all but he did sell them on his website at one time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”