What stand do you guys use to hunt?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

What stand do you use?

Climber only
9%
Hang and Hunt Every time (lone wolf or something similar)
34%
Fixed stands on property only
5%
mix of Hang On Stands set up - other spots hang and hunt/climber
52%

Total votes: 102
Putt4Doe

What stand do you guys use to hunt?

Unread postby Putt4Doe » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:09 am

Hey guys - I'm curious to see how y'all set up the places that you hunt. Do you guys take a climber in every time? Do you hang and hunt every time? Do you set up some hang on stands in certain spots and then hang and hunt in others?

Please let me know what system you've found works best, and let me know any tips or tricks that you recommend or why you've decided to use that system....

Thanks!

Thermals
500 Club

Re: What stand do you guys use to hunt?

Unread postby Thermals » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:18 am

I mainly use a treesaddle but I got a assult to use as well this year, I always have hang and hunted and took everything out with me, I guess I always was a beast and did not know it lol

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:19 am

I hang and hunt every time out. No set stands for me and I use my lone wolf. I do use a climber in rifle season when I'm trying to get real high up in a tree

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Beartown18
500 Club

Unread postby Beartown18 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:24 am

Summit Goliath here, just love how comfortable it is, but do not like being limited on trees.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:42 am

I believe you need options for every situation. Most times I choose my Alpha and sticks and other times a climber is a nice convenience and it all depends on the area you are hunting. Also don't just limit yourself to treestands. Hunting from the ground can be very exciting and puts you in spots that others won't hunt. Been learning over the years that some big bucks avoid trees and travel in areas you would never think about hunting. A ghillie suit or just some good camo and a great ambush spot can yield some extremely exciting hunts.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:12 am

I use a mix of pre-sets, climbers, hang-on's and hunt the ground also. A lot of situations are different and call for different set ups. I once hunted a 60 acre farm and had 11 stands on it for several years. Any where I needed to hunt, I had a stand there. Some stands I didn't hunt in a given year. Some I would move in the winter to a different spot. Just depends on where I needed to be. I was the only one who hunted there, so it didn't matter. Hunting public ground or a farm where other people hunt, I use a climber or a hang on, or hunt the ground.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:40 am

I have a few fixed stands in good rut locations on the private I have access to, but in public ground or new private I have a lone wolf and sticks that I use.

lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:16 pm

Because I mainly hunt private land I have a mix of pre-hung sets and hang it hunt it spots, I am cautious to hunt pre-hung sets only a couple times a season so the deer do not get too wise on where we are hunting.
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:07 pm

Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks. The only stand I own.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:14 pm

I use a climber every hunt.

SonofUlam

Unread postby SonofUlam » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:08 pm

I'm surprised so many of you guys use sticks and hang in stands with the style I hunting I read about here. I think of myself in decent shape- but hiking half a mile or more with 30-40 pounds (I'm figuring 15 pound stand, 10+pounds for sticks, plus bow, and pack) on my back through thick brush would make me a sweaty mess by the time I reached my tree.

How do you guys that use that set-up work through that or deal with that? I'm also not ignoring the possibility I'm just not in nearly as good of condition as I need to be to be an effective hunting beast. What are your thoughts or suggestions?

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:15 pm

SonofUlam wrote:I'm surprised so many of you guys use sticks and hang in stands with the style I hunting I read about here. I think of myself in decent shape- but hiking half a mile or more with 30-40 pounds (I'm figuring 15 pound stand, 10+pounds for sticks, plus bow, and pack) on my back through thick brush would make me a sweaty mess by the time I reached my tree.

How do you guys that use that set-up work through that or deal with that? I'm also not ignoring the possibility I'm just not in nearly as good of condition as I need to be to be an effective hunting beast. What are your thoughts or suggestions?

When hunting beds it's all about being mobile and being quiet so a stand and sticks are usually your best option.

Admittedly it's not for everyone because hunting Beast Style is a lot of work but the rewards can be very high.

cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:48 pm

Like Dewey, I use an alpha and sticks and a summit climber. The hunt decides which one goes.

I work to stay in shape so when hunting season rolls around packing my stand is no big deal. I got a toddler backpack for my daughter last year and have been carrying her around all summer. It's been great conditioning!

Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:53 am

Aero hunter saddle and sticks. But I need to unload a summit and a ladder so I can buy an alpha. the saddle has limitations in small trees especially when hunting marsh. the lone wolf and sticks is more versatile in that case.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:05 am

SonofUlam wrote:How do you guys that use that set-up work through that or deal with that? I'm also not ignoring the possibility I'm just not in nearly as good of condition as I need to be to be an effective hunting beast. What are your thoughts or suggestions?

I bungee my outer layer(s) to my stand while hiking in. Also,I've become a huge fan of a merino wool base layer.

40lbs on my back for 1/2 mile isn't that big'a deal but I do physical work for a living and I'm a young guy - turn 51 this...OH,last week. Opening day. Forgot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”