Baiting or Not-What's the Difference

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

buck_junkie

Baiting or Not-What's the Difference

Unread postby buck_junkie » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:14 pm

Where regulations exists, what's the difference between hunting over a cut cornfield, or a green soybean field, and hunting over a feeder or corn pile. To even thicken the plot what's the difference hunting over a food plot or over a white oak dropping acorns ever couple seconds. Or what's the difference hunting over those persimmons that you planted 5 years ago attracting deer knowing that's their primary food source for that particular day. Bait is bait is bait any way I look at it. What are the restrictions in your area and what are your views on the subject.

tmoney22

Re: Baiting or Not-What's the Difference

Unread postby tmoney22 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:26 pm

First off, I am split on this subject. Secondly, your sparking a possible huge flare up with this subject. For me, it basically comes down to when I hunt the Big Woods of Northern Wisconsin, baiting there is key for me due to the fact that it is next to impossible to get big bucks to consistently walk within bow range. Other than that I am pretty much opposed to the pile of corn or apples. I am well aware that some guys are capable to hunt big bucks up there year after year without the aid of bait. My opposition to that type is that the pure fact that you turn the deer nocturnal. In Wisconsin you can hunt over 2 or 2.5 gallons, and only in certain counties. As for the foodplots and crop fields. Thats just the way the land is. Your hunting in its natural state, whether you or a farmer plants it. To me its like using a release or a sight. Time has evolved and you use every advantage you can get on mature deer.
mcmidc

Unread postby mcmidc » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:46 pm

I don't care either way if people bait when it's legal to do so. I don't personally because I don't think you have that good of a chance to take down a mature buck over a bait pile. If some want to and it's legal more power to them, it's not my place to judge. I think it's a great way for people who physically (disabled, elderly, ect.) can't get way in to hunt to still be able to enjoy the sport. Plus all the people who bait are sitting in the same stands all the time, and not sitting in the staging areas that I want to set up in :lol:
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:51 pm

I have my feelings about this subject, that is if it's legal and you want to sit over bait go right ahead. If in your area it's NOT legal to bait, I would highly suggest not even thinking of baiting because it would not be worth the trouble you could get in.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:27 pm

I don't have any problem with baiting if it is done according to the laws. Unfortunately where I hunt in Northern WI it is not. I have seen plenty of very excessive amounts of bait and guys hunting way after dark over a bait pile. Another problem is people that claim an area on public land because "they have been baiting there for years" and don't want anybody near them.

I gave up baiting 15 years ago and found that I enjoyed hunting much more with out sitting over a corn pile all the time. The sad thing is that there is a whole generation of kid's that only know how to hunt over bait and were never taught any woodsmanship or real hunting skills.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:32 am

buck_junkie wrote: What are the restrictions in your area and what are your views on the subject.

In Wis there are areas you can and can't bait.
This subject has been beat to death on the internet. Each person has to decided how they feel about what is bait and what isn't and how to hunt these situations. The most important thing is that each hunter does what makes him happy (as long as it's legal) and don't worry about what the next person is doing.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:58 am

Most baiters put out bait just to draw a deer into shooting range during hunting season.When the season is over or they shoot a deer they no longer supply food.When someone plants food plots they are giving all wildlife food all year long.Whether it be clover for spring feed,or corn to help them get threw a long cold winter.Most that i talk to take pride in planting plots and use them as a land management tool more than a bait site.
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:03 pm

I think to each his own if its legal. Here in Mn its not legal. For me i think sitting over a bait pile would be boring. I like to try a figure deer out over the course of the year. Me and my dad arent always successful filling tags, but we very rarely dont at least see deer on a sit. As far as bait pile vs. crop field its hard to pin down where the deer will come out into a field on a daily basis where sitting over a small pile you know they will likely be there. Im not big on hunting right on food anyway, used to do that alot with lower success rates than pushing in further closer to bedding.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:22 am

The Difference: Nocturnal vs. Daylight movement
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:17 am

First off, let me say I have baited in the past, but haven't in a while now. I don't plant food plots either, but do hunt in farmland where there are an abundance of crops. I believe the difference between baiting and not, is that one group modifies the deer behavior, while the other group learns the behavior, all in the name of killing a deer. Both ways are effective at killing deer. I choose to learn deer behavior, because I enjoy scouting and learning how deer use the land. This is my decision, I don't believe it to be the right or wrong way to hunt, just my choice. I am fortuante to have time to scout and learn deer behavior specfic to where I hunt, this kind of extends deer season to a year long process. Some hunters don't have the, time, resources or the desire to do this, again it is the indivdual's choice base on circumstances. In the end, each group enjoys the way they hunt, and isn't this the reason we hunt?
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:02 am

I don't know many food plots or crop fields that are 3 feet square ;) I guess you know my stance on baiting now!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:22 am

I don't bait but have in the past... I think it should be a legal form of hunting. Most people who hate baiters blame huge bait piles on the lack them seeing deer. Could be possible, but most areas that allow baiting have strict restrictions on the amount of bait you can use. With Wisconsins current 2 gallon limit they might as well ban it. They want to outlaw it but are afraid of hunters that bait getting mad so they made a ridicules amount.
Who am I to tell an 80 year old man who can barely walk more less scout that he can't throw a bucket of corn on his back forty to try and get some food for the table? To each there own... For me, I prefer to outsmart them and hunt a one on one game... Who knows, maybe someday I will roll my will chair out into the back yard to "hunt" deer over a pile of cprn my grandson put out so that I could still partake in the hunt...
To each there own, as long as its legal.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:49 am

I agree with Black Squirrel on this one. Baiting is not for me, nor is it legal during the hunting season in Indiana. However the difference in addition to what BS said is that with a bait pile you create a singular destination spot where as in a field or even a large area of say oak trees the deer are in there randomly and like BS said you have to adapt to the behavior. The other consideration I think is your goals. If it is to put meat on the table, or to simply kill deer then I guess if you are doing it legally no problem. However if your desire is to become a better hunter, I don't see where baiting will benefit you.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”