Overcoming a fear, advice needed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

exojam

Re: Overcoming a fear, advice needed

Unread postby exojam » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:07 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:
exojam wrote:...I had never even thought of marking my car on the GPS, I really like that idea...

Were you aware that you can record and save your route through the woods too?

Yes. I did that a few times while out in the chair. The first time was to mark my camera locations.

Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:47 pm

If you're going to be in an area with any possibility of getting wet, put your electronics in waterproof bags. I got myself in a huge pickle this past weekend during the bow opener and my phone was damaged by swamp water. Luckily my GPS was clipped to my chest otherwise who knows what would have happened.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:51 am

Well after last nights sit and thinking I need to make a different entrance to circle back to be down wind of where I believe some deer are bedded I ordered myself a compass (don't laugh).

I know most of you use them (or have them) all ready but since I have not had a chance to get deeper into the woods till this year I had never had one except on my phone. I rather have a another that can stay in my pouch on my chair. Nothing fancy just a Silva Polaris Baseplate Compass model.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:59 am

Very smart Exo!
Can never be too prepared...

Good luck!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
phishy
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/james.harbaugh.94

Unread postby phishy » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:00 am

..... something i haven't seen... and actually i'm surprised.

I use an ap scout look, i put all my location on this ap with names on my home PC... I don't always know which place i am going to hunt until i park the truck, but once i decide i text the wife which location i am hunting.... now I may not be in the exact location i put on the map, but it figure it would get a search party close if needed, i also text the wife when i'm back at the truck and about when i will be home for dinner.

scoutlook link

http://www.scoutlookweather.com/index.php

plus its another tool, has wind forecast, scent cone is tab i really like, etc,
Happiness is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it, so with that happiness is a choice one can consciously make, although often challenged by what happens to us, it is a choice nonetheless.
welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:00 pm

×2 phishy I like the scout look app too. Good tool!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:57 pm

Just downloaded the program. Tried setting up all my locations on the phone but that was a pain so I logged into the site and set them all up. I am now going to go look at my phone and make sure they are there. Thanks for the info.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:23 pm

Unless than I am missing something anything (besides locations), it does not save to the app on your phone even though you are using the same login for both the web and app. If that is the case that stinks and should be fixed as it is so much easier to setup on the PC.

You also cannot see any maps or scent cones while using an iPad, again logged into their webpage with the same information.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:34 pm

exojam wrote:Thanks guys. I always take the phone with me and let my wife know where I am going. I usually even leave something like google maps up on my computer with the area I will be if it is not a real known place to her.

I guess one of the other things that stinks to admit but have to in this case, is ai am not the best outdoorsmen in the woods. I read about you folks walking into a place a mile away and just wonder how the heck you find your way back to the car in the dark. Does that just come with experience? Thanks again.

They sell little glow orange clip on markers that you can hang on the way in and pick up on the way out.

The HME's are the easiest to see in the dark.....I have never owned a gps.. :whistle:

http://www.basspro.com/HME-Products-Tra ... uct/81276/
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
phishy
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/james.harbaugh.94

Unread postby phishy » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:40 pm

exojam wrote:Unless than I am missing something anything (besides locations), it does not save to the app on your phone even though you are using the same login for both the web and app. If that is the case that stinks and should be fixed as it is so much easier to setup on the PC.

You also cannot see any maps or scent cones while using an iPad, again logged into their webpage with the same information.

there's a learning curve..... not a perfect ap, but a good tool....like all specialty tools you need to learn them....
Happiness is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it, so with that happiness is a choice one can consciously make, although often challenged by what happens to us, it is a choice nonetheless.
Peter

Unread postby Peter » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:19 pm

I drop a pin on Trimble where I leave the truck, where I see sign, and where I sit so I can review for the future. Just downloaded Scoutlook too, eager to try the scent cone feature this year.

I always take a screen shot of my location on the Apple map app and text it to my wife if I'm near home or my buddies if we are on a trip. That way they have a reliable picture to use as a reference if they need to look for me.

Battery drain is an issue with some of these apps, especially when it's really cold, but the external battery packs are cheap now. This is the one I use. Last year in northern WI for gun season it was super cold, and without my iPhone plugged in to the external pack it would just shut down. Plugged in, good to go all day.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B ... UTF8&psc=1
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:03 am

Funny I find this thread.

I was leaving my setup in the dark last night, I walked about 15 yards to far before I needed to turn and cross a creek to head north to the truck the creek runs east to west at the point I need to cross. The creek makes a hard bend and then runs southwest. Well I crossed at the bend, and I thought I was still heading North after crossing the creek.

I was actually heading WNW, which put me into a very large field full of cedars...I knew there were no cedars on this public ground, so I knew I had accidentally crossed into private ground at this point.

Rookie mistake I just figured if I followed the field edge it would bring me back to the public ground, but the field edge was way too thick...I kept getting into really thick groups of cedars that I couldn't walk through. Plus it was very foggy and I couldn't see more than 5 feet in front of me even with my LED light.

My phone had no service, and it kept showing me in different spots on google maps which kept throwing me for a loop.

My boots and pants were soaked from crossing the creek, I had no lighter, no water, no food, and no compass...I was close to panicking but I kept taking deep breaths and trying to regain composure.

I was frustrated, because everytime I thought I could turn and head back NE I would hit a huge group of cedars I couldn't maneuver through. I would be walking on flat CRP one second and fall into a hole with CRP up to my neck other spots.

I finally walked long enough NW that I ran into a fenceline...right before I was about to hop the fence I saw the hotwire on it, so I followed it knowing it had to take me somewhere. It led me back to a house and driveway which put me on the road I needed to be on more than a mile NW of where my truck was parked...

Rookie mistakes, I will now always mark my creek crossings if I cross a creek, always carry a lighter, a bottle of water, and a compass...
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:12 am

Exo: I suggest you get a compass and begin using it in conjunction w/ your phone and/or gps. It will take time but as you familiarize yourself w/ a piece of land, try to find certain landmarks. Then check your gps and take a compass reading in the direction of your vehicle, camp, road, etc.
If your electronics run out of batteries, you have a better understanding of where certain landmarks are in proximity to areas of safety.
It might sound complex, but just start w/ simple things. You will gain lots of confidence over time.
That is my 2 cents worth....

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:22 am

tmarbut wrote:Exo: I suggest you get a compass and begin using it in conjunction w/ your phone and/or gps. It will take time but as you familiarize yourself w/ a piece of land, try to find certain landmarks. Then check your gps and take a compass reading in the direction of your vehicle, camp, road, etc.
If your electronics run out of batteries, you have a better understanding of where certain landmarks are in proximity to areas of safety.
It might sound complex, but just start w/ simple things. You will gain lots of confidence over time.
That is my 2 cents worth....

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I ordered a Silva Polaris Baseplate Compass model yesterday and have watched a few "how to use a compass video". I will watch a few more and try some stuff off out when mine arrives.

Zap, those flags are to much money right now (still have to order my boots!). I know it is funny but I have 300 of those glow in the dark bracelets that I will use until they are gone. They should be easy for me to follow and no need to a light to make them reflect for me.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:34 am

A compass and some markers that you can see will be a good idea.

Electronics will not teach you woodsmanship....they sell other markers that are less expensive.

A little harder to install/remove...but they work.

http://www.basspro.com/HME-Products-Ref ... uct/71297/
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”