Overcoming a fear, advice needed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

exojam

Overcoming a fear, advice needed

Unread postby exojam » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:40 am

I asked this in the on the stand thread but it will get lost and never answered so I am going to start a new thread.

I have a little place in NH that will probably only have some does coming through. Since I am by myself I know the the entry and exit will not cause me any issues. Problem is, I do not believe bucks are there.

There is another place in NH I would love to check out but I get pretty nervous when I am by myself not knowing if I will have some kind of mechanical failure and get stuck. Anyone have any ideas on how to get past that fear? If I could I would be checking out some (what I believe) to be better places.

Thanks.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Overcoming a fear, advice needed

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:47 am

I mostly hunt alone. Only pieces of advice I can offer is to carry a cell phone, communicate your location to trusted loved ones prior to leaving for the woods, and if possible, send your exact coordinates to the same people once you are set up. I do all of the above.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:51 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:I mostly hunt alone. Only pieces of advice I can offer is to carry a cell phone, communicate your location to trusted loved ones prior to leaving for the woods, and if possible, send your exact coordinates to the same people once you are set up. I do all of the above.

X2
With experience and time alone, you will gain confidence. Take your time, think things through, and don't do anything crazy.
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:06 am

Thanks guys. I always take the phone with me and let my wife know where I am going. I usually even leave something like google maps up on my computer with the area I will be if it is not a real known place to her.

I guess one of the other things that stinks to admit but have to in this case, is ai am not the best outdoorsmen in the woods. I read about you folks walking into a place a mile away and just wonder how the heck you find your way back to the car in the dark. Does that just come with experience? Thanks again.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:12 am

exojam wrote:Thanks guys. I always take the phone with me and let my wife know where I am going. I usually even leave something like google maps up on my computer with the area I will be if it is not a real known place to her.

I guess one of the other things that stinks to admit but have to in this case, is ai am not the best outdoorsmen in the woods. I read about you folks walking into a place a mile away and just wonder how the heck you find your way back to the car in the dark. Does that just come with experience? Thanks again.

In areas where it is easy to get turn around, I'll set a route with a GPS. This will keep you out of those difficult to see swamp holes too.
WKPTodd
Facebook: Todd Pringnitz

Unread postby WKPTodd » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:14 am

It took me starting to hunt alone to start to realize I wasn't the problem - it was the area's I was hunting - and who I had been listening to. The best teacher is the earth. If you have a cell phone with google earth or one of the other mapping ap's you can't get lost.

Carry a saw, a knife and some matches just in-case and you will be ok. Worst case you end up on Moutain Men - Year 39 or something right??? Baby steps...
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:20 am

'Find my friends' app is nice if hunting in areas with reception.

What I can tell you is just slow down and pay attention to the little things. Position of sun, distant highway noise etc. otherwise just carry a compass.

I hunt some places that are like a maze of swamps/flag ponds, even with a compass it can get nerve wracking. Need to keep your head on straight. Another thing I have done when in serious doubt is just leave a very good trail of orange ribbon from trail/truck and take it down on the way out.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:20 am

Trail markers can also be very helpful and are very visible with a headlamp or flashlight. These can easily be set on the way out from your chair.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:35 am

PalmettoKid wrote:'Find my friends' app is nice if hunting in areas with reception.

What I can tell you is just slow down and pay attention to the little things. Position of sun, distant highway noise etc. otherwise just carry a compass.

I hunt some places that are like a maze of swamps/flag ponds, even with a compass it can get nerve wracking. Need to keep your head on straight. Another thing I have done when in serious doubt is just leave a very good trail of orange ribbon from trail/truck and take it down on the way out.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Well on the note of the tape - tacks, after I got into a small mess just trying to get a camera out a few weeks ago I ordered some of those glow brackets. My thought was since I need somewhat flat ground for my chair it seemed to be a good idea to my to have some of those in my poche and hang them as I go in before night fall. Than by the time the sun set they will be easy for me to see and I can take them down as I go out. It may look strange to see glowing brackets for a few hours but.....

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:38 am

exojam wrote:Thanks guys. I always take the phone with me and let my wife know where I am going. I usually even leave something like google maps up on my computer with the area I will be if it is not a real known place to her.

Do you have cell service everywhere you go? Knowing you have the ability to contact someone is good piece of mind. Do you have a gps? If not what about a smartphone or you could use the ipad (maybe a little large but doable) download the GPS Kit app. I've never used it but gps kit has a squawk option where you & another user can see real time tracks from each others devices. Whatever type gps you use get familiar with it & learn to thrust them. I'd start in places you know or just around the house to build confidence.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:49 am

So far the places I have been to have service. I have an iPhone and a few of the hunting apps on it, pretty much have only used the Trimble GPS Hunt one. I also have the AnterlerInsanity installed but I have not used that one as of yet. The one thing that stinks on the iPhone I have is that when you have "location services" on, it drains the battery at a higher level. I also have the "find my iPhone app" so my wife can use that if needed to see my location.

Buying a dedicated GPS is on my list but the next thing I need are boots. Maybe a Christmas request:)

I also let her know that that I will text her when I am back at my van so she's know if it gets to late and she has not heard from me, she will ping me to see what is going on.

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:53 am

There are apps you can share your GPS locations with others via text or email. I use them often when I am out of state on solo hunts.

cbigbear

Unread postby cbigbear » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:00 am

backstraps wrote:There are apps you can share your GPS locations with others via text or email. I use them often when I am out of state on solo hunts.

Yes I use the gps to sms app & text the wife once I get to my tree.
cbigbear

Unread postby cbigbear » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:04 am

exojam wrote:So far the places I have been to have service. I have an iPhone and a few of the hunting apps on it, pretty much have only used the Trimble GPS Hunt one. I also have the AnterlerInsanity installed but I have not used that one as of yet. The one thing that stinks on the iPhone I have is that when you have "location services" on, it drains the battery at a higher level. I also have the "find my iPhone app" so my wife can use that if needed to see my location.

Buying a dedicated GPS is on my list but the next thing I need are boots. Maybe a Christmas request:)

I also let her know that that I will text her when I am back at my van so she's know if it gets to late and she has not heard from me, she will ping me to see what is going on.

I hear you on the battery drain. One of the backup battery cases (mophie juice packs are good) is nice & still cheaper than buying a good handheld gps. I currently use a couple cheap portable battery chargers to get my iphone thru a day of scouting. I depend on my phone a lot to get me in & out of deep bigwoods or swamps, but also carry a compass for dead battery instances.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:24 am

backstraps wrote:There are apps you can share your GPS locations with others via text or email. I use them often when I am out of state on solo hunts.

I just installed Google Earth on my wife's PC and sent her a file from the Trimble app and showed her how to import it to show exactly where I was, just in case.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”