maps and choosing stand location

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

zcher

maps and choosing stand location

Unread postby zcher » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:26 pm

Hey fellas, i stumbled onto this site while looking to learn about bowhunting deer. This season will be my second season of any sort of hunting ever. Last year, i ate all my tags, so i need to learn. I've gone through the "all time best tactical" thread and have learned so much. I am excited to put into practice some of the tactics and strategies I've been reading about. I do have a few questions though...more like a test of my understanding.

Here is one public spot I plan on hunting this season if the conditions are right. It's about a 2.5 hour drive from where I live, so I need to make sure it's not a waste of a trip. My brother-in-law hunts nearby, on the other side of the river, and asked me about joining him. I will be going in cold, having never actually scouted or seen the area. I would like to know if the spot I picked out is a good spot, based on the surrounding land structures. Basically, I need a little confirmation/critique on my understanding of the tactics found on this site.

I included three pictures of the target area; a topo map, a terrain map, and an aerial photo. Depending on the map, yellow or gray trapezoid on the upper right is a field of some sort, i do not know if it's corn or beans. The red line is the boundary, everything west of the red line is public hunting land. The green line is a cleared path for a power-line, which is easier to see on the aerial photo. There is a river that runs along the north and west sides of the area. The black dot/circle is my guess at a good stand spot.

I am wondering if the area i chose to hunt, as well as the stand place makes tactical sense? I chose this area because of the food source to the east of the woods. I am assuming that the the finger or patch of land between the two draws(?) would be a good bedding spot. Having assumed that, the draws should create a natural funnel in which deer will most likely follow to get to the food source. I would be trying to intercept them on their way back and to the field. My route in would be to follow the coast along the west end, enter the area through the power-line clearing, and follow that path to the my spot.

For a potential morning hunt, I would need a north, northeast, or east wind. As for an evening hunt, I assume i would need a northwest or north wind.

Thanks for taking the time to check this out. Any and all feedback is extremely welcomed. Please let my know if i neglected to think of anything. I need to learn how to assess a piece of land for potential and how to successfully hunt that land.

Bucky

Re: maps and choosing stand location

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:34 am

Looks like a good spot to me... what kind of crop is in the field? That will make a big difference on whether deer are using it or not

The inside corner straight North of that spot towards the river would be a killer rut funnel too 8-)
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:18 am

I wouldn't mess around in the morning until you get closer to the rut and as Bucky noted, I would put some significant time on the inside corner funnel. It looks like a slam dunk.

Anything sooner, I'd only do evening hunts with the right wind. I'd access high rather than use the power line. The areas below power lines are often very thick (unless recently cut) and I wouldn't be surprised if you have good bedding where you find relief and the power line. Due to the large amount of native browse under power lines, I'd also expect it to be an established travel corridor for a lot of deer.

Great looking spot.
zcher

Unread postby zcher » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:40 pm

thanks bucky - when you say "inside corner", do you mean spot "A"? I never even thought about that spot; deer coming from east and west using that funnel. I was so stuck on deer bedding in that middle "finger" area. No idea on crop, but guessing either corn or soybean.

ditto to you bassboys - I may sound ignorant, but why only evening hunts?
-When you say "access high", do you mean come in from the north? Right up the hillside (looks doable)?
-If entering the area from the north, going up hill, and during an evening hunt, I would then need a S or SW wind, if I am assuming deer are bedding to the west of location A? correct?

I have another question; From what i have read, it appears deer like to bed in pieces of land that jut out. In this case, I'm assuming that middle "finger"? But why? Don't deer corner themselves if they bed in those areas? Are they not essentially locked on three sides?

Thanks again for all the help. I am learning a lot.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:08 pm

zcher wrote:thanks bucky - when you say "inside corner", do you mean spot "A"? I never even thought about that spot; deer coming from east and west using that funnel. I was so stuck on deer bedding in that middle "finger" area. No idea on crop, but guessing either corn or soybean.

ditto to you bassboys - I may sound ignorant, but why only evening hunts?
-When you say "access high", do you mean come in from the north? Right up the hillside (looks doable)?
-If entering the area from the north, going up hill, and during an evening hunt, I would then need a S or SW wind, if I am assuming deer are bedding to the west of location A? correct?

I have another question; From what i have read, it appears deer like to bed in pieces of land that jut out. In this case, I'm assuming that middle "finger"? But why? [glow=red]Don't deer corner themselves if they bed in those areas? Are they not essentially locked on three sides?[/glow]

Thanks again for all the help. I am learning a lot.

I'm referring to spot A for the funnel

When I say "access high" I am referring to elevation. My preferred access is across the relatively flat ridge south of your stand location. North access would be great if you are trying to hunt the middle finger with a S/SE wind.

I'm a bit confused by the statement I highlighted. How is the deer locked in? He can move in all directions and has a tremendous advantage both by sight and scent (thermals/wind).
zcher

Unread postby zcher » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:57 pm

haha, you're fine bassboys, I'm the confused one. I guess I keep thinking about those structures as peninsulas, I'm thinking about tracks of land that jut out into a river/lake/pond. But in my example, it wouldn't be very difficult for deer to just escape downhill. thanks again for taking another look at this piece of land.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:05 pm

zcher wrote:haha, you're fine bassboys, I'm the confused one. I guess I keep thinking about those structures as peninsulas, I'm thinking about tracks of land that jut out into a river/lake/pond. But in my example, it wouldn't be very difficult for deer to just escape downhill. thanks again for taking another look at this piece of land.

No problem. Access is huge component to success on this property. The best stand location is worthless if you can never get to it clean. I'm confident you will figure it out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”