New to using climbing sticks.... Help

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mzldr2

New to using climbing sticks.... Help

Unread postby mzldr2 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:27 pm

Hi All,

I've made the switch from climber to the XOP lock on and 4 climbing sticks. I've watched Dans video as well as every other I could find. I have developed a good system of packing the stand and my gear, and I also have a good system of climbing.

Now I need a better plan or way to navigate obstacles, branches, Knots, etc on way up tree. I can climb a straight trees with no obstacles with no problem.. Quiet, relatively quickly, etc. But the reason I went to the sticks was to have more flexibility with tree selection etc.

It seems I am always encountering an issue on the 3rd or 4th steps and sometimes where the stand will go. It always seems that after I get stuck, I realize I should have had the sticks in a different spot but I am not seeing it originally. I also think I am over estimating how high I will get or where the sticks will get placed and end up with a branch in my way that I thought I would be above,below, etc.

Any tips on how you guys evaluate where you will put your stand and how you plan your route up the tree?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

HoosierG5
500 Club

Re: New to using climbing sticks.... Help

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:35 pm

Its a lotta feel really. When you pick a tree pick a side also and look for obstructions. I have many a time had to raise or lower a stick above or below the branch or knob. You will get it. Just takes time. When in doubt redo it. Its not worth falling.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:20 pm

I try and look for a gap in the branches as tall as I am and in a spot that sets up good for what ever way you're going to shoot. If you think of the direction you want to shoot as noon on a clock, i like to set the platform up facing around 2:00 direction if your right your handed shooter (10:00 if your a lefty) and I set my sticks up at around 5 o clock to keep the tree between me and the suspected direction of approaching deer.

With branches, if the branch is on the left side of the tree, I disconnect the left side of my line man's belt to pass it, vice versa if it's on the right. Less movement and I can keep three points of contact.

I like to put the stand so the seat is just above the top step of the top stick. Personally, I don't like trying to step up onto the platform, I prefer to step laterally onto it.

There is definitely a learning curve, but it gets easier with practice

Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:50 pm

Just need to gain experience, and you will get more nailed down on your sets. Hang in there... ;) no pun
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
mzldr2

Unread postby mzldr2 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback....I've been hunting 30 years and after finding this site and all of this new knowledge, feels like I'm starting all over.....in a good way!
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:13 am

The biggest thing that helped me was simply stopping to try to do it perfect. The first year I had the stand and sticks I was trying to hard to do it right and have the sticks in a nice neat row going up the tree...I was really ready to quit using them and then my frustration actually helped me. Now when I got to a tree I just have the mindset of getting where I need to be. If that means a stick isn't straight, or I stand on a branch or the sticks have 5 feet between them so be it. As long as I can get from point A to 20 feet up I just do it.

If your trees are real bad I always keep a couple cranford rope steps in my bag. In a pinch where a stick wont' fit I use one of them. This would be a rare case.
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:22 am

mzldr2 wrote:Thanks for the feedback....I've been hunting 30 years and after finding this site and all of this new knowledge, feels like I'm starting all over.....in a good way!

I'm in same boat, first year going mobile and feel like my tires are spinning a little bit, but it is a good thing!
"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:28 am

I'm not sure what the XOP sticks look like, but the lone wolf ones are incredibly adaptive. Always strap your stand or sticks above an obstruction so if they slide or slip they get hung up on that obstruction. Also with your last stick, it is safer to be able to step DOWN onto the platform. I like to position my stand so there is a branch somewhere between the bottom of the platform and the top of the seat, so you can shoot over it but it still gives you plenty of cover. If using an even number of sticks always put your first step to the side your stand will be on, the last step on your 2nd, 4th or 6th stick will be opposite of your stand, allowing for an easy transition to the stand.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:53 am

mzldr2 wrote:Hi All,

I've made the switch from climber to the XOP lock on and 4 climbing sticks. I've watched Dans video as well as every other I could find. I have developed a good system of packing the stand and my gear, and I also have a good system of climbing.

Now I need a better plan or way to navigate obstacles, branches, Knots, etc on way up tree. I can climb a straight trees with no obstacles with no problem.. Quiet, relatively quickly, etc. But the reason I went to the sticks was to have more flexibility with tree selection etc.

It seems I am always encountering an issue on the 3rd or 4th steps and sometimes where the stand will go. It always seems that after I get stuck, I realize I should have had the sticks in a different spot but I am not seeing it originally. I also think I am over estimating how high I will get or where the sticks will get placed and end up with a branch in my way that I thought I would be above,below, etc.

Any tips on how you guys evaluate where you will put your stand and how you plan your route up the tree?

I normally just find a tree then a spot in that tree & go. Years ago I switched to a rock climbing harness as a safety harness & it opened up a world of opportunity. I can now climb to any height with any number of sticks I want or need. Say you need an extra 3' to get your stand where you want it, but you're on your last stick simple hook into your tree tether & sit in the harness & move your stick up. I know climbing with one stick as shown in this post isn't for everyone nor every application, but I think everyone can benefit from using a rock harness. No matter how many stick you carry there are going to be times when that last stick needs to be a couple feet higher with a rock harness you have the flexibility to move it.
viewtopic.php?t=20108
mzldr2

Unread postby mzldr2 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:41 am

@ seazofcheeze -- thx - great visual using placement of everything with the clock!

@briar - excellent point..I think I am trying to be to precise instead of just getting up the tree....good tip on the extra step

@ redman232 -- Thx for the tips! BTW, the XOP are identical to the LW...

@ cbigbear -- THx! i have watched your 3 stick and 1 stick videos a bazillion times. To be honest, it really intrigues me but I am also fairly intimidated by the harnesses, knots, ropes, etc that are noted in the thread for setup. I can barely tie a knot in my shoes let alone tie one that will hold my fat a$$ in a tree....I would love to try and adapt it at some point in the future....

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”