Oak Tree Locations

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

Oak Tree Locations

Unread postby kwaldeier » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:17 am

What are some tail tail areas that hold oak trees? I have a few located but I think they are red. Have a camera I need to put out and I figure oaks are a good spot now..

[ Post made via Android ] Image

obrion

Re: Oak Tree Locations

Unread postby obrion » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:48 am

You can try using Google earth or some other satellite imagery and find images from the fall. Areas with lots of red are pretty much going to clue you in. Red and white oak trees leaves both change to red/orange in the fall so you are going to have to look at the acorns or leaves to determine the type of oak. Outside of that I think boots on the ground is the only other way.
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:51 am

Oh that is a very good idea!

msailor

Unread postby msailor » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:06 pm

I've also noticed that oak trees tend to hold their leaves longer. Review aerials of late fall, colors won't be there but usually the only trees that have leaves are some type of oak. No way to really distinguish between species but a good starting point.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:38 pm

Silly question maybe...is it possible to look at a property with a different season on google earth other than what they initially show?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:41 pm

What state are you in? I know Michigan DNR posts the major species in every timber stand on state land.

nater

Unread postby nater » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:45 pm

Depends a lot on where you are, but...

In my part of the world (SW MN) the oak trees (mostly bur oaks) are pretty obvious on a summer aerial--they tend to have large, sprawling canopies above the rest of the trees with a very dark green leaf color. I've confirmed this time and time again with groundtruthing my guess that the primary trees in an area are oaks.

Now more mixed/eastern hardwood forests are a different story, though generally oaks will be found with hickories on ridges/hillsides or otherwise better drained soils, at least in the upper midwest. Then you'll have mostly elms, sycamores, walnuts, maples, cottonwoods, in the bottoms. What I mean here is that there are topographical clues about where oaks will tend to dominate, with the uplands being your best bet.

Logging history can also tell you whether or not many oaks will be in the area. If a woods has been recently high-graded--timbered for primarily short-term gains--there will most likely be few oaks except for gnarly/twisted trees with minimal value. If a woods was timbered 20-30 years ago, chances are there will be some nice acorn-producing oaks coming up in the gaps since oaks thrive in disturbance/open light. If you have mature second-growth woods or possibly old-growth woods, you might have some some nice oaks but eventually those woods will start "climaxing" to a beech-maple woods, even in the upland areas, with the oaks becoming less represented in the overall forest composition. The historical photos in Google Earth can be revealing in this regard.

The south is a different game and I can't tell you anything about that.
Last edited by nater on Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nater

Unread postby nater » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:47 pm

All that being said, it really just takes one oak with a good acorn drop to draw the deer in. It might even be better to find that one isolated tree in an area without many other oaks as that gives you more of a target than a woods full of acorn-producing trees. For that there is no substitute for boots on the ground.
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:51 pm

Im in Indiana

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:09 pm

I'm in mo... I'll have to take that into consideration

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:10 am

kwaldeier wrote:What are some tail tail areas that hold oak trees?

Over here just about anywhere there are trees, there are oaks. Oaks in the bottoms, on the ridge tops, on the ridge sides, pretty much everywhere you look.

I don't know what part of MO you are in but I think the southern side is close to about the same as us from what I've seen.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”