Climbers vs Stand/Sticks?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Re: Climbers vs Stand/Sticks?

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:17 pm

I have both and prefer my hand climber. I mainly hunt hill country hard woods that have lots of white ash, oaks, beach, etc. Telephone pole trees. I use my climber maybe 90% of the time.

[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:42 am

I saw a sale on the cheapest XOP climber wihout the rail for 210. It seems like a good price for a light climber, but Im buying LW sticks, muddy sticks, and a LW stand right now too. This is getting expensive.... Ive had issue finding the right tree to use a climber in before, so I decided the sticks were the way to go. Does seem much harder than a climber though. Would you buy the cheap XOP climber or other?
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:56 am

When I hunted with my climber I was always finding great sets where there were no climable trees. Now that I have my sticks, I keep finding good climber trees where I want to be. However, I'll use the sticks. MUCH quieter for hunting near beds

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:00 pm

What I do while scouting once I pick out trees for various winds is I then take notes if I can hunt the spot with hang on, climber or both. I mark these spots in my gps with what type of stand I need so at a quick glance I can choose.

Just started using a LW hand climber and really enjoy how quick and easy it is for my climber spots. Alpha and sticks is still my goto stand for most cases but it's nice to have another lighter option available.

briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:38 pm

I have both also and do it just like dewey. I do find the hand climber much easier to use but it has limitations. Both are great tools and you have to use the best tool for the job. I

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:36 am

kenn1320 wrote:I've got both and given a tree that could use either, I'm taking the climber. Climber is faster, safer, more comfortable. The only advantage to the sticks is multi trunk trees, or large diameter trees. I have the sit n climb and more than once have sat suspended while removing the platform to go up past limbs. Not the safest practice, but doable.
[glow=red]I wouldn't waste my money on a cheap climber, they are heavy![/glow] If I was tight on money and didn't have a stand, I'd buy (4) LW sticks and a cheap hang on. I'd upgrade the stand when I could afford it. If you are allowed screw in steps, I'd choose those and a LW stand if money is tight. I've slipped off LW sticks wearing big lug cold weather boots, never had that problem with screw in steps. Safest I ever felt was trophy line saddle and screw in steps.

x2

The LW stick steps do feel a little 'iffy' (I haven't slipped, yet), ESPECIALLY if the tree is leaning to the side at all. I recently bought some Muddy Hunter Sticks and those steps are rock solid, much better footing. But they are a bit heavier.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”