Beast setup and shot opportunities

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Al D

Beast setup and shot opportunities

Unread postby Al D » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:20 pm

Hey everyone,
so I have been reading(actually reading obsessively) the beast method of hunting slobs. I agree with everything said about being completely portable and trying to kill a mature buck on the first sit near his bed. I have purchased LW climbing sticks and a alpha loc on, and they perform flawlessly. I can get a good solid setup in about 10 mins-incredible when you have quality equipment. I have been bow hunting for about 25 years out of stands that we set up over the years and move around each season, but it is truly liberating to know I can go anywhere I want now.
My question is: seems that good setups near a mature bucks bed are usually very thick. I have done a ton of scouting(quite doing that a few weeks ago though) and I am having a hard time finding the perfect tree that will give me shot opps of only more then a few yards. I am used to really creating shooting lanes with all my other setups, but now being portable and trying not to disturb anything, this obviously is something I dont want to do. So many places that appear to be the perfect "spot" for a setup seem really difficult (especially in the early season) to have many clear windows of any magnitude. I have always liked to get pretty high, but I guess i just need to get lower? I'm paranoid about getting pegged being to low though. Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks, Al D

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Beast setup and shot opportunities

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:48 pm

If the lands private and you scout it in winter/spring you can clear a few shooting lanes as long as you don't over do it and have them create a new exit from there bedding... On the public I hunt you can't cut any living branch. So I have gotten real good at picking the right tree and the right spot in that tree. About all you can do... In some spots you have to hunt off the ground.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:12 pm

If I have time I will trim when I am scouting, otherwise you just have to roll with it and try and get in the best position possible. When you bed hunt you just aren't going to have perfect lanes, you sometimes have to let the cover and layout of the bedding/staging area dictate how you hunt.
Al D

Unread postby Al D » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:13 am

Thanks gents!
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:52 am

Most times Ive found the "perfect tree" is only perfect for me! There might be a better tree suited to kill a deer. For example, you may have to climb a really small tree and stsy low or maybe take your LW strap around two trees and seat your stand/stinks on one. Just my .02. Think outside the box

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:24 pm

I shot a buck Tues night with no back cover at all... it is the essence of Saaaaaaaprise that kills em. Hunting spots that are fresh or rarely ever hunted. The more I bounce around the more I see how deer work around over hunted or traditional stands/hunting spots

Where you access and put ground scent also plays a huge role in success or failure.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:24 pm

Bucky wrote:I shot a buck Tues night with no back cover at all... it is the essence of Saaaaaaaprise that kills em. Hunting spots that are fresh or rarely ever hunted. The more I bounce around the more I see how deer work around over hunted or traditional stands/hunting spots

Where you access and put ground scent also plays a huge role in success or failure.

SPOT ON...
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:44 pm

Can you all please explain how you see bucks working around over hunted stands? Is this primarily a visual observation of then moving in the woods or more of seeing the sign they leave behind?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Bhuntin

Unread postby Bhuntin » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:24 am

dan wrote:
Bucky wrote:I shot a buck Tues night with no back cover at all... it is the essence of Saaaaaaaprise that kills em. Hunting spots that are fresh or rarely ever hunted. The more I bounce around the more I see how deer work around over hunted or traditional stands/hunting spots

SPOT ON...

I always knew access and ground scent played a role in success but my eyes were really opened this year. This was my first year using a trail camera. I have a no flash no noise camera. Four or five days after setting the camera I had a 3.5yr old or older come in at midnight and got about 10 pics of him. I could tell from the series of photos that he either knew somthing had changed or could smell that I had been there. I didn't think my scent would hang around that long to make that kind of difference that many days later. I was WRONG!
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:06 am

Get creative when looking for shooting lanes. Bring twine to tie branches. Throw deadfall on top of a limb. I can get away with some of this on rut hunts away from bedding. Too much noise/ground scent on beast style set up.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”