Looks like my season is over before it started

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Looks like my season is over before it started

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:13 am

Can't imagine something like that happening right before the season but just like anything else if there's a will there's a way. Hope you can heal up enough to salvage some of your season.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

exojam

Unread postby exojam » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:46 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Ground Blind?
Heal quickly...!

Same thing I was thinking.

Hope the recovery is quick and proper.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:10 am

I mainly hunt rocky hill country. So not sure how/if I will be able to get out. Last Sunday I yanked a double ladder stand I use with my 7 year old son, off my friends farm, it was in a ravine off an equipment trail between two fields. Was a short walk from the truck too. Would of been perfect for my crippled tail.... Was going to move the double to a spot where bucks funnel to, during gun season in Dec, on another friends property.
Not used to sitting around watching Tv all weekend. Finding it hard to keep entertained though, keep the live from stand post rolling! And all the other great posts. Hopefully I have a appointment scheduled with a very good surgeon, who is my friends brother in law tomorrow. Thanks for all your well wishes! Good luck guys, looking forward to seeing all the kill pics!

Did manage to see my son score his 1st goal in Hockey today in his 1st real game! So that was AWESOME! 8-)
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
chasemukluk

Unread postby chasemukluk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:37 pm

Hey man, sorry to hear about your acl. I actually completely tore my ACL a month before my senior year of college baseball. Trainers thought it was an mcl injury and I never went to get an MRI. I started the first game of the year about 6 weeks later. I did lots of PT to get it to that point, but started nearly every game that season and into the summer. Because it stopped bothering me I never actually got it fixed. Two summers ago, it started buggin me a lot so I finally went into the doctor. Got an MRI, and they asked when I tore my ACL. They told me it was shredded. Lol. I told them 7 years ago. So, my point is, you could wait and may be able to hunt in 4 weeks or so. Obviously talk to your doctor and let him know what you want to try to do.

Like the above guy said you can function without an acl, you just need to be careful as your knee will slide in and out in funny situations when you least expect it.

The guy who said he tore his in September and was hunting before the leaves fell, DON'T do that. Your acl takes several months to actually heal. All he had to do was step on a stick wrong and it would have been a whole new procedure.

Anyways, I ended up having surgery on my acl, medial and lateral meniscus on December 20th, 2013. A bit different procedure than yours because they repaired my meniscus by stitching it. I actually couldn't be weight bearing on it for 4 weeks because of that. I think if it was just an acl, you could be weight bearing pretty quickly after the procedure. I was able to do some scouting in late spring. I had some complications, so actually had to go back in on August 13th to repair my meniscus which re-tore at PT and they also had to do a microfracture.

That was a month ago Saturday, and I got to get out and hunt this weekend. I can't hunt with my LW sticks yet as my knee is a bit sore. However, I can climb a ladder and hike around pretty pain free. Trick to climbing a ladder is to lead or climb with my good leg for now, at least until my leg can handle the more drastic bending and climbing. MY LW sticks don't let me do that.

Good luck!
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:46 am

Saw the surgeon yesterday, he pulled over 25 cc's of blood out of the knee yesterday. Initial thoughts are the MCL is shot and the ACL is also possibly shot due to the lack of movement, swelling, amount of pain, and where the pain is. He got my insurance to pre authorize the MRI yesterday, I have a follow up visit and will find out on 9/22, unless he calls me in sooner with the results. He wants me to limit my walking till then. I am so thankful that he is a relative of a close friend, he is out of my network and told me not to worry about anything. His office called me in, 1st thing yesterday. He is also a top rated surgeon in the nation. Otherwise I would probably be still waiting to see a surgeon. He caught me asking his Physicians Assistant when I can start hunting, he chimed in and told me to wait to see what is going on 1st.

Sorry for going on and on, just need to ramble here, as this is really got me bummed. Have some great spots scouted out with good bucks in them.... Looking forward to following all the stories and congrats to all the successful killers so far! Good luck Beasts!
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:17 am

I played college football with a guy that had torn ACLs in both knees, he was crazy and obviously tuff as nails, but you may find in a couple weeks you regain some mobility after swelling goes down. I bow hunted one year with a cracked radius and ulna in my right arm. It was painful, but I figured if it was going to hurt regardless of what I did, I might as well continue with normal activity, against doctors recommendation of course. If you find out that you do have a torn meniscus and/or an acl tear, make sure you ask what further damage you could potentially do before you push it.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:26 am

Oh dude that ain't good. That put my stomach in a knot.

Good luck.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:51 am

Just got back from the doctors office. It's official, I nuked my knee, tore my ACL & MCL. Have surgery scheduled for Halloween :angry-banghead:
Really frustrated right now, was half thinking some how I would get out. They know me well enough and told me specifically no Hunting, MX riding, skiing... Will take a full year to heal properly. But the new brace I got today has me thinking I could probably use a climber still.... :twisted:
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:04 am

Man that sucks! Sorry to hear it
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
chasemukluk

Unread postby chasemukluk » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:37 am

Milk Weed Seed wrote:Just got back from the doctors office. It's official, I nuked my knee, tore my ACL & MCL. Have surgery scheduled for Halloween :angry-banghead:
Really frustrated right now, was half thinking some how I would get out. They know me well enough and told me specifically no Hunting, MX riding, skiing... Will take a full year to heal properly. But the new brace I got today has me thinking I could probably use a climber still.... :twisted:

Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear the bad news. To be honest, you should be able to get out and do some early spring scouting with it. It will get tired quickly and you will have some swelling. You will be able to hunt the opener next year! And all your spots will have deer that are one year older! :) Hang in there and good luck!
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:07 pm

Sorry to hear man. Hope you heal up good.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:50 pm

Sorry to hear that! As a guy who looks forward to this time of year it has to be tough.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:07 pm

Sorry to hear that. .. id go crazy n have to figure a way out to hunt.. a pop up blind off the rd or something... hope u heal up quick

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”