Buck bed on oxbow/river bend

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaHunter

Buck bed on oxbow/river bend

Unread postby DaHunter » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:28 pm

Before I found this site, I shot a buck and ended up finding him on this oxbow. Well, I went back to the spot today, and sure enough, I found a nice bed right against some brush along the creek (yellow dot). There was fresh hair in the bed and tracks all over. Would the buck only bed here on a North wind? Assuming his back is to the water, he would be facing (nose) to the wind on a N wind. But that's where he would be most susceptible to human pressure. Corn the N, Clover and Acorns to the W.

I found a tree to hunt (red dot) and I'm thinking it might only be worth hunting on a NW or maybe N wind. Might be tricky. Thoughts??

Bucky

Re: Buck bed on oxbow/river bend

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:35 pm

Hunt it on West or North West.... your red dot is about right

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:10 pm

I agree with Bucky... I would lean a little more N.W. though. Buck will face the river most likely. All the oxbows I have hunted had the bucks facing down wind (the river) with wind telling them if a predator was entering the oxbow.
DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:39 am

Thanks Dan - Is that because their nose is better than their eyes? I just figured since there's a thick bush in between the bed and the creek, that the buck would have his back to that. But I guess even if his view is obstructed, he still needs to watch it because he can't smell it.

The bed...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:51 am

Look close at your picture of the bed... A buck bed that is used in the same position over and over often takes the shape of a bedded deer. The back of the deer has a rounded radius. buck beds are kinda banana shaped. with the outside radious being where his back is. They can bed facing the wind, its just not a smart thing to do cause then they can neither see or smell in one direction.

DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:12 am

Ahhh, you're good! That makes me feel better about getting up in the tree without him seeing me...IF I get a NW wind where he hopefully won't scent me. Do thermals follow the wind direction? The hunt tree is about 10ft higher in elevation than the point where his bed is. Will my scent get pulled down into the falling evening thermal down to that point even on say a W or NW wind? Thanks again.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:18 am

I don't think you will have a problem with thermals if the river stays colder than the air. Stagnant water that heats up usually pulls scent in the evening when the air cools below the temp of the water.

As far as the deer not seeing you them suckers can see pretty good with eyes on the sides of there heads. One sound and that head can swivel 180 degrees without the bucks body having to shift... Be quiet and slow. Go in midday when he is groggy.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:46 am

You could drop down in the creek and use it to get closer to the beds and have more options east side or west side, depending on the water level and bank and nosie level to access.
DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:55 am

Keb - didn't think of that! Might be worth a "silent" slow stalk through the creek to get within shooting range during gun season.

brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:04 pm

Hey guys just wondering your thoughts on oxbows and hunting them. Do you have luck? Like hunting them? Not like hunting them? Reason i ask is because i found a public land spot with a TON of oxbows way back deep and just was curious on other beasts thoughts? Thanks guys!!

brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:08 pm

Any thoughts beasts???

Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:36 pm

DAhunter, your buck you are pursuing is a 9 pointer!!
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:05 pm

Brad wrote:DAhunter, your buck you are pursuing is a 9 pointer!!

:lol:

DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:32 pm

Small body though. One more year.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:37 pm

DaHunter wrote:Ahhh, you're good! That makes me feel better about getting up in the tree without him seeing me...IF I get a NW wind where he hopefully won't scent me. Do thermals follow the wind direction? The hunt tree is about 10ft higher in elevation than the point where his bed is. Will my scent get pulled down into the falling evening thermal down to that point even on say a W or NW wind? Thanks again.

If you hunt in the river bottoms with any kind of wind the thermals won't come into play. On calm no wind days is when the thermals can kill you in the river bottoms. Those oxbows have water on 3 sides of them and the banks are usually tapered not cut bank. This means coming in from the water is next to impossible. If you set up N or NW you will have no problem with thermals with a westerly wind.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”