Early season does with fawns... to shoot, or not to shoot?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: Early season does with fawns... to shoot, or not to shoo

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:20 am

Redman232 wrote:I've done it a few times, no doubt they can survive on their own, but it's not a real great experience having to run a fawn off while it is standing there bleating next to its' dead mother.

I agree; it is not a great experience. Even when you run the fawn off it doesn't go far and it isn't any fun field dressing mom when the fawn is watching. But, my freezer is empty so if I have the opportunity she will go down though I would prefer to shoot a "dry" doe.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:32 am

Redman232 wrote:I've done it a few times, no doubt they can survive on their own, but it's not a real great experience having to run a fawn off while it is standing there bleating next to its' dead mother.

That's pretty much why I don't hardly shoot does. That thought just bothers me more than an empty freezer... there's nothing wrong with it I just have a weak stomach lol

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Make It Happen
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:49 am

I haven't shot a doe since 2007 and only did that year because of EAB. When I did hunt does the ones with fawns always got a free pass from me. I just enjoyed watching the fawns interact with the doe and enjoyed learning from them and how they communicate.

I heard enough stories about fawns bleating over their dead momma and know I never want to experience that myself. I would much rather have an empty freezer or just go buy some beef instead.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:03 am

tim wrote:if a doe cpmes by me il kill it early season. i havent had venison in 3 years. plus l earn a buck sticker.

It's legal and you can put food in your freezer and earn a buck tag. The fawns will live.

I understand the flip side too.

I'm just saying do what you want and don't feel bad about it.

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:19 pm

Dewey wrote:I haven't shot a doe since 2007 and only did that year because of EAB. When I did hunt does the ones with fawns always got a free pass from me. I just enjoyed watching the fawns interact with the doe and enjoyed learning from them and how they communicate.

I heard enough stories about fawns bleating over their dead momma and know I never want to experience that myself. I would much rather have an empty freezer or just go buy some beef instead.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Same here lol.. think it was 2009 for me... I just feel bad killing does... I know it's stupid. But i just get over it when they have horns!!

Make It Happen
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:31 pm

If I know there are fawns there I will let them go.

My only doe kill was last year and I did not realize she had fawns with her till it to late. The only thing that made me OK with it was they had lost their spots and I felt (after talking about it) that they would be fine.

If a single doe comes by and I have a tag she will be shot at.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:00 pm

This is not stirring the pot intentionally but should be included in the conversation.
Take a fawn. That leaves the family in good condition to deal with winter and other challenges.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:19 pm

I've done it, but 99% of time won't, even after spots have well gone. I shot a lone doe in Fl. one time and found out when I got to her she'd just given birth. Had the fawn hid and I couldn't get the the image of the little newborn laying in the woods waiting on it's momma to come back and knew it was history for it. So in some areas just because she's alone doesn't mean too much.

I've seen plenty of time and have lots of images and video of spotted fawns browsing along with the doe, just don't know if they still need milk also to make it.

But..I do keep telling myself to shoot if the spots have gone, even though I haven't killed a doe in about 3 or 4 yrs. I still pass..just too kind hearted I guess. This year I'm going to if the chance arises.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:29 pm

Opener is tommorow for me too. I will shoot a doe with fawns because they should know how to survive on their own. Or like Bucky stated, the fawns could get into another doe group.

If one comes in tomorrow AM, it's meat for the freezer.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:31 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:This is not stirring the pot intentionally but should be included in the conversation.
Take a fawn. That leaves the family in good condition to deal with winter and other challenges.

Nothing wrong with taking a fawn. I know someone who prefers them. If he has the option of a fawn or the older doe he will take the fawn. I have always been a meat hunter so my shoot/no shoot decisions have always been based on body size. FWIW In some states (Connecticut is one) shooting a spotted fawn is illegal.

At any rate, when to drop the hammer is a personal decision and is made for a variety of reasons. So my take on it is that they are your tags fill them as you see fit.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:35 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:This is not stirring the pot intentionally but should be included in the conversation.

This is actually true... the doe will surely survive, doing the opposite both may perish so this makes more sense to me than shooting the mom and leaving the fawn to fend
Make It Happen

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”