bow or gun opening day?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

welded34
500 Club

bow or gun opening day?

Unread postby welded34 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:42 am

What do you look forward to more opening day of gun or bow? I used to look forward to opening day of gun more but I think I like opening day of bow more besides the tradition are family has for gun hunting.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

C&T Archery
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ctarchery?ref=hl

Re: bow or gun opening day?

Unread postby C&T Archery » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:57 am

For me definitely BOW! I used to enjoy gun season opener a lot, but that was because as i aged, my dad, stopped bow hunting and did just the gun, so it was time spent with him. Honestly, gun season now, I could take it or leave it.

Just waiting patiently for my 6 and 4 year old, to become regulars at deer camp :)
http://www.ctarchery.com
email: sales@ctarchery.com

[glow=red]Farmers Insurance -- Chad Ratzburg Agency
FOR A FREE LOOK AT YOUR AUTO, HOME, ATV, BOAT, LIFE OR BUSINESS INSURANCE NEEDS. PM ME OR EMAIL ME
Email: cratzburg@farmersagent.com
[/glow]
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:26 am

I get way more excited about bowhunting. Just to give you an example of how excited I get...........last night I didn't sleep a wink because I laid in bed wide awake plotting the next three days and where I plan to hunt. Just got to work and it should be an interesting night with no sleep especially if I end up working a 12 hr shift. :doh:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:58 am

Let's not forget bow opener is two months earlier too. Just excited to be back deer hunting!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:11 am

Bow. I cant recall being happy about gun season for a while now.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:20 am

Bow, no comparison. It's been over 40 years since I killed a deer with a gun.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:22 am

Stanley wrote:Bow, no comparison. It's been over 40 years since I killed a deer with a gun.

Wow! Had it been 40 years since you carried a gun with the intent to kill a deer?

Mibowhunter91

Unread postby Mibowhunter91 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:33 am

Hands down bow season I kinda sorta dread gun opener every year. At the same time gun is fun I spend more time with friends trying to get them a deer it was more about the people your with during fun season where bow season I'm way more into it hands down

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
tcop7
500 Club

Unread postby tcop7 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:37 am

Definitely bow season for me. In my opinion bow season is a lot more challenging and who doesn't like a challenge?
[glow=green]Experience Is What You Get When You Didn't Get What You Wanted![/glow]

[glow=blue]McLaughlin Athletic Center[/glow]
[glow=blue]Northwest Ohio's Youth Sports Complex![/glow]
[dropshadow=blue]Visit us at --->[/dropshadow]http://www.macgymohio.com/ [dropshadow=blue]<---[/dropshadow]
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:26 am

It all depends on what you mean by opening day. Since making it out on opening day of bow season is tough and the weather is usually a little too warm for me, I don't look forward to the opening day of bow season. I do look forward to the first day I can actually get out and bow hunt though, that I am always really excited for....even more excited for that first cool day in late October.

While it's not popular on here, I really look forward to the opening day of gun season. The night before we are getting ready, talking about hunting, where we are going to hunt, going over maps, revisiting trail cam photos for the year. Its just a special time. The next morning as I settle in the stand, I just sit giddy in anticipation. It's the one day I can sit there and think of thousands upon thousands of hunters in a tree all excited with anticipation. When I hear that first shot ring out, I always smile. It brings me back to my childhood and sitting in the deer blind for the first time.

I'd much rather shoot a mature buck with a bow and spend much more time planning to my bow hunting, its just something about gun season I love. If I can kill a mature buck, then thats a bonus but everything that goes along with friendship and fun is seen during gun season.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:55 am

Bow hands down. I wish they would take the rifle season away here in Missouri and maybe do a shotgun season but shorter. Biggest problem here in the southern part of the state is the bucks get shot before they ever reach maturity. I see guys with fork horns and basket racks hanging out of their trucks just riding through town like they killed a 180. To each their own but would love to see more deer reach maturity

Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:42 pm

Bow for me. Have not gun hunted in almost 20 years.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:27 pm

As a kid there was a lot of tradition about opening day of the gun hunt... But the last 15 years I have been more excited about the bow opener

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:19 pm

I much prefer my bow in every way possible but its hard to beat hunting with family and friends with gun, even more so with my boy along for the hunt.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:40 pm

Both are awesome but I lean towards gun. The family and town tradition are great memories.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”