Ozonics works or does not work. Poll

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ozonics from my experience.

Yes Ozonics works, I will list my supporting evidence below.
5%
No Ozonics does not work. I will list my supporting evidence below.
14%
Yes I think Ozonics works but realize my opinion is worthless.
18%
No I don't think Ozonics works but realize my opinion is worthless.
63%

Total votes: 78
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Ozonics works or does not work. Poll

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:13 am

Interesting. :think:

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:23 am

Great discussion. I like the way options 3 and 4 are listed in the poll. :lol: I absolutely hate it when I read product reviews on Amazon or Cabelas and they say, "Haven't used it yet. Great Product! [5 stars]". Or they say it it's great, give it 3 stars, and don't elaborate on why.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:27 am

Seems pretty easy to use, I'm sure it happens but hard to see how people have had trouble not following directions. Still waiting for them to send one to Dan for some serious testing. ;)
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:12 am

headgear wrote:Seems pretty easy to use, I'm sure it happens but hard to see how people have had trouble not following directions. Still waiting for them to send one to Dan for some serious testing. ;)

Set up is very simple. There isn't a lot of ways to mess this up. IMO this is their way of getting out of backing up their product. As I stated in my previous post I had the machine set up exactly as they tell you to set it up once you are in the tree and two does locked up and blew once they hit my scent stream. Whether it was the smell of me or the machine I have no idea but the deer blew and took off before ever getting within 60 yards of me. Public land deer so yeah maybe on private land low pressure deer they will tolerate the smell the machine puts off if that in fact was what the does smelt but if you hunt public land pressured deer I think it is a waste of money. No disrespect to Todd but I don't think he is hunting heavily pressured public land. Pressured deer are totally different animals than deer that aren't pressured. I've hunted some private land before and had bucks walk up downwind of me and stop once they hit my scent stream, stand there for a bit with their nose in the air then turn and make a loop just around my stand still heading for the crop field. That same encounter on public land the buck hits your scent and takes just a second or two and he turns and bolts. Have had it happen many of times.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:19 am

Stanley wrote:
Bowhunter4life wrote:
Stanley wrote:
Bowhunter4life wrote:I have the machine and have used it for 2 years. I was busted last year by two does coming in downwind. Wind was 8 mph and pretty consistent that day. The locked up and stood there a few seconds then blew and took off. I also had a buck lock up on me the first year I had it. He didn't bust out of the area but when he hit my scent stream he locked up and didn't like what he smelt so he turned and trotted off. I called ozonics after the buck encounter and they said I must not have had the machine positioned correctly. Both these encounters were public land deer. Maybe deer that aren't as pressured on say private land would react a little differently to them. They put off an odor that I can smell myself. Did these deer smell me or the machine?.?. I have no Idea but their reactions were enough to lead me to believe that they do not work. I hunted most of last year without it and played the wind to my favor. IMHO save your money

Good to hear from an unbiased tester. Wish I could test a machine. I just can't afford the $450.00. How did they suggest to position the machine so it would work as advertized?

They told me to make sure I had the unit positioned 4 to 6 inches above my head. Make sure it is pointed downward at a 30 to 45 degree angle. They said this creates the ozone blanket between me and the deer. I had the machine set just like this when the does locked up downwind from me. The buck encounter I had it positioned about a foot over my head but still at about a 45 degree angle.

Could you smell/hear the machine when it was running?

They do indeed put off a very noticeable odor and yes if you have the machine up on high on a quiet day in the woods 4 to 6 inches above your head it is quit annoying. It seems very loud to me on a quiet morning or evening in the stand. You can hear the fan running. On calm days they claim it is less effective so I guess it wouldn't need to be ran. They say that a consistent wind 8-10 mph you will have your best results with the ozonics machine. Maybe worth a try if you hunt land that isn't pressured and the deer will tolerate a foreign smell, for me on the public land they just don't seem to like it. That's my 2 cents

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:52 am

Ok I watched the setup videos. How do you set it up for a hunt when you're normally sitting, but stand for the shot? I'm guessing you use 2 units.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:18 am

bowhunter15 wrote:Great discussion. I like the way options 3 and 4 are listed in the poll. :lol: I absolutely hate it when I read product reviews on Amazon or Cabelas and they say, "Haven't used it yet. Great Product! [5 stars]". Or they say it it's great, give it 3 stars, and don't elaborate on why.

I agree nothing worse than someone condemning/bad mouthing a product that hasn't used it. I would love to try one out. Not for helping to cover my scent to kill a buck but just to see if the thing works period.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:23 am

Stanley wrote:
bowhunter15 wrote:Great discussion. I like the way options 3 and 4 are listed in the poll. :lol: I absolutely hate it when I read product reviews on Amazon or Cabelas and they say, "Haven't used it yet. Great Product! [5 stars]". Or they say it it's great, give it 3 stars, and don't elaborate on why.

I agree nothing worse than someone condemning/bad mouthing a product that hasn't used it. I would love to try one out. Not for helping to cover my scent to kill a buck but just to see if the thing works period.

They do work in the process of getting rid of odors. I have used it in my truck and on other things to take the odor out and it works great for that.

Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:50 am

If it is about ozone saturation than there is no way ozonics can produce enough in an open air environment to out number the molecules of other pollutants... In a closed environment ozone works because you are saturating the air with O3 so it can actively react with other pollutant molecules converting to O2..Hence masking ythe pollutants because in theory no new poolutants are being introduced. Plus in an un controlled environment so many factors are going to play into O3 ability to react.. Temperature, humidity, existing pollutant sources... To me its a crap shoot and a waste of money... Just roll around in the swamp water for awhile its cheaper and would work just as good ;)

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:23 pm

Bowhunter4life wrote:
headgear wrote:Seems pretty easy to use, I'm sure it happens but hard to see how people have had trouble not following directions. Still waiting for them to send one to Dan for some serious testing. ;)

Set up is very simple. There isn't a lot of ways to mess this up. IMO this is their way of getting out of backing up their product. As I stated in my previous post I had the machine set up exactly as they tell you to set it up once you are in the tree and two does locked up and blew once they hit my scent stream. Whether it was the smell of me or the machine I have no idea but the deer blew and took off before ever getting within 60 yards of me. Public land deer so yeah maybe on private land low pressure deer they will tolerate the smell the machine puts off if that in fact was what the does smelt but if you hunt public land pressured deer I think it is a waste of money. No disrespect to Todd but I don't think he is hunting heavily pressured public land. Pressured deer are totally different animals than deer that aren't pressured. I've hunted some private land before and had bucks walk up downwind of me and stop once they hit my scent stream, stand there for a bit with their nose in the air then turn and make a loop just around my stand still heading for the crop field. That same encounter on public land the buck hits your scent and takes just a second or two and he turns and bolts. Have had it happen many of times.

Thanks for the report, it confirms what I guessed might happen if I were to buy one.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:38 pm

headgear wrote:I think a lot of things can work in low pressure areas with high buck populations, not so much in the rest of the world.

X2
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:20 am

Stanley wrote:

Seems to me like that would be a hard thing to do. To truly have a good answer (or test) would require a very controlled situation, for a hunter anyway.

First, you would have to know for sure that a buck would be able to smell your scent from a stand. Not just a guess or "he should be able to", but know for sure. It's already been said that thermals can take your scent away from where you think it's going without you knowing it. Milkweed is a good way to see that. Every situation is different with the wind currents and it can change at any time.

Second, you would have to know that the particular buck was alarmed by foreign scents and not tolerant in the least to something out of the ordinary. I've seen deer catch my scent or some kind of scent and not be alarmed and then some panic with the slightest reaction to smelling something. Deer are individuals too. Plus the unit puts out a scent of it's own. Will that be tolerable to all deer?

Third, you would have be absolutely sure there were no other scents around that would alarm the buck except what was coming from you, on the stand. Who knows what's floating on the air? Most of the places where I hunt, deer can encounter human scent, or a lot of other human related scents at any time.

I've had bucks (young and older), does, and yearlings walk by me and not smell me for whatever reason, or did smell me and paid no attention to it (which is doubtful), with me thinking I was going to get busted at any moment.

You might be able to make a "controlled test" with penned deer but how would that compare to remote deer, mature deer, or high pressured deer?

Too many variables. And without a controlled test, it's just a guess as to whether this thing really works or not. I'm not saying it doesn't for sure, I don't know. And I don't think it can really be proven to be 100% or even close to that. And again, it may work, Todd is sold on them for sure. For me personally, I wouldn't buy one for that amount of money when I couldn't rely on it. Besides the fact I don't want anything else to pack into the woods, I have enough already.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:24 am

From the little bit of research I come up with this device is nothing more than a air purifier. It creates an ozone layer by breaking down Oxygen (O2), converting it to trioxygen, or ozone (O3) through electricity, and or UV treatment. When O3 is created, the molecules absorb contaminates, thus purifying the air or water. Ozone in high quantities is not good for life on earth. What I have read and researched, this device would not be able to purify air in a large area. I think this device would be ideal in an enclosed ground blind, but on a tree stand on a day with just a slight breeze, the purified air (O3) would dissipate before hitting the ground, or last for a short period of time.
Last edited by Crazinamatese on Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:01 am

I'm just not into carrying machines to my treestand for the sake of killing deer. It would reduce the experience I think. Kind of like shooting a high fence buck.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:36 am

mheichelbech wrote:I'm just not into carrying machines to my treestand for the sake of killing deer. It would reduce the experience I think. Kind of like shooting a high fence buck.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Your bow is a machine. ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”