Can we really really fool a deer's nose?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Re: Can we really really fool a deer's nose?

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:35 am

Nope, can't fool a deer's nose, but you can avoid it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
62kodiak
500 Club

Unread postby 62kodiak » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:38 am

Holler Hick wrote: I am surprised that there was ever a deer killed before this junk came along!!!

They didn't. Don't you know that no deer was killed before 1992(year scent-lok was formed). :lol: All the deer pictures you see from before 1992 are an internet hoax.
It's not the knowing that's difficult, but the doing.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:39 am

dan wrote:The guy is right about one thing... Deer have incredible noses. I have yet to see any scientific evidence that proves reducing scent fools deer. I have however seen lots of scientific research that lends evidence that you can't fool there nose.
The only people stating you can fool a deers nose are people in the industry trying to sell you something... Plain and simple, no matter how much effort you take to eliminate scent, you can only eliminate a small percentage and to a deer you and everywhere you have gone smells like a skunk sprayed.
If they live in an area and suddenly one day there is human scent there. It don't matter if its a little or a lot, it was not there the day before and smart bucks will now avoid that area.

People will believe what the want to believe... The evidence without sponsor or hunting product influence is out there... Just watch the Myth-busters episode where the scientists don't hunt and don't care either way what the out come is. The guy with all the scent removing gadgets and control is the guy the dog finds 1st... And a dog does not smell as good as a deer... And I have seen about 5 other tests that all have the same results...

I studied this stuff in great detail at one point... A deer has 180 million receptors in its nose, We have 5 million... A deer also has a Vomernasel organ which we don't which allows it to separate odors (which is why "cover" scents dont work). To a deer we smell so bad its like a skunk just sprayed. Imagine going out in the yard and getting full out sprayed by a skunk, then taking a dry rag and wiping off... The rag is going to remove some of the odor, just like scent elimination... Then walk into the kitchen and see if it makes a difference on your wife smelling the skunk on you... Thats what your trying to do with scent elimination....

If it makes any difference at all, its very minute. And it certainly does not mean that you can make bad decisions in regards to the wind... A lot of people like to justify and say things like Dan is in a unique situation and that is why he kills big bucks without scent control... But really, I believe that I am killing the big bucks I am killing because of my understanding of scent control... Once you realize they can smell everywhere you have been and downwind of where you are for miles, you start to plan around your scent footprint and you start to kill big bucks. Plain and simple, scent control is not letting your scent get to the bucks nose. Scent elimination is like carrying a lucky rabbits foot.

What a great analogy with the skunk. It really puts it into perspective.

CountryJoe wrote:My wife absolutely hates the smell of all of the "natural earth cover scent" on all of my hunting clothes. I only wish I would have found this website sooner. It would be one less thing for my wife to hate about me hunting. Since I've started playing the wind and not worrying about scent elimination products, hunting has been so much more enjoyable.

I used to use that in dryer sheet form and the wafers. I don't know what. Is in it but it caused an athsmatic attack in my wife. She couldn't be in my truck for months after the hunting season the year I tried them.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:56 am

I got this far: "..... Carbon Synergy. I learned about this amazing WI made product from Marc Anthony."

To summarize the entire long article - "Buy this product".
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:16 am

seeds wrote:I got this far: "..... Carbon Synergy. I learned about this amazing WI made product from [glow=red]Marc Anthony."[/glow]

To summarize the entire long article - "Buy this product".

Yep, I wonder what good ole Marc is up to these days?
Beartown18
500 Club

Unread postby Beartown18 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:32 am

Didn't read, but I don't think you can.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:40 am

Bucky wrote:
GBTG wrote:In hunting a mature buck in his bedroom your not going to get away with any human scent at all.
The scent control measure I use involving minimizing my scent works for us rut hunters!
I know because I've seen it during the rut on many occasions. That buck is going to follow that doe no matter what and before my scent minimizing efforts a doe in my scent stream would lock ...freeze and blow. Now they might pause at the minimum view the scent as not being near enough to be a threat and continue on his way.... and so does the buck. Do i hunt the wind .... of course but the rut is dynamic and I want to maximize my opportunities. And by the way skip you can skip all the commercial products . I use no special clothing just unscented soap , unscented antiperspirant, baking soda, peroxide and corn starch and attention to every detail. Good luck and have a great hunt!

Do you have a wall full of bucks?

Bucky, as I see your point that a wall full of bucks adds to your credibilty, it doesnt mean that those who dont have zero correct info/tactics. I agree with what was said above, however, a Dan tactic and staying OUT of the wind is much better. I personally have a small wall full of bucks, but would have lots more if I didnt choke at the shot several times in my first years, prepared treestands better, thought more about shot angles, etc etc. Scent "minimization" I believe is only useful for some lucky rut hunters, and for sometimes stand pounders like myself at home. Im not trying to sell the idea, since I agree with you guys that beast/one and done is better. It just doesn't fit every property.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:42 am

I yes I agree the original post was a yaaaawner, going to that extent took the fun out of it for me.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:56 am

I never heard Dan use the skunk analogy quite that way before. It was the best statement on scent I have seen.

About the wall full of bucks. My experience with guys that I know that do absolutely have or could if have if they mounted them all, LARGE walls full of bucks is that the most important thing they do is hunt where big bucks are! And quite honestly, one of their secrets is that some of the places they hunt aren't always legal to hunt to the general public (yes they do a bit of trespassing on government property or they know people to get them in) or they are places the general public would never think about....like right behind the city sewage plant, or right beside a highway overpass, a concrete plant, a small patch of woods next to a elementary school playground (his 6 year old saw the buck), industrial parks.

The best thing these guys do is get information! They don't use scent control, one guy is deaf and dumb, can't hear and can barely talk but he finds big mature bucks every year somehow in the weirdest places. They are like CIA agents when it comes to finding big bucks and they don't let anything get in their way of killing them....and they always use a bow.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:07 am

johndeere506 wrote:
Bucky wrote:
GBTG wrote:In hunting a mature buck in his bedroom your not going to get away with any human scent at all.
The scent control measure I use involving minimizing my scent works for us rut hunters!
I know because I've seen it during the rut on many occasions. That buck is going to follow that doe no matter what and before my scent minimizing efforts a doe in my scent stream would lock ...freeze and blow. Now they might pause at the minimum view the scent as not being near enough to be a threat and continue on his way.... and so does the buck. Do i hunt the wind .... of course but the rut is dynamic and I want to maximize my opportunities. And by the way skip you can skip all the commercial products . I use no special clothing just unscented soap , unscented antiperspirant, baking soda, peroxide and corn starch and attention to every detail. Good luck and have a great hunt!

Bucky, as I see your point that a wall full of bucks adds to your credibilty, it doesnt mean that those who dont have zero correct info/tactics. I agree with what was said above, however, a Dan tactic and staying OUT of the wind is much better. I personally have a small wall full of bucks, but would have lots more if I didnt choke at the shot several times in my first years, prepared treestands better, thought more about shot angles, etc etc. Scent "minimization" I believe is only useful for some lucky rut hunters, and for sometimes stand pounders like myself at home. Im not trying to sell the idea, since I agree with you guys that beast/one and done is better. It just doesn't fit every property.

johndeer - agree, there any many ways to skin the cat. But if GBTG replies with a wall full of 20 trophies I will take what he says more serious. Results speak for themselves... you can talk about deer all day, and some do it very intelligently mimicing what they have read here and other places... the people I pay attention to are Dan, Stan, Mooddoon, SpySpar, RidgeRunner, Dor, Muddy etc that have actually stacked em up. Lots of new people here... I'm all for learning something new 8-)
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:21 am

If the stuff worked that good there shouldn't be a deer left lol

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:50 am

Bucky wrote:
johndeere506 wrote:
Bucky wrote:

johndeer - agree, there any many ways to skin the cat. But if GBTG replies with a wall full of 20 trophies I will take what he says more serious. Results speak for themselves... you can talk about deer all day, and some do it very intelligently mimicing what they have read here and other places... the people I pay attention to are Dan, Stan, Mooddoon, SpySpar, RidgeRunner, Dor, Muddy etc that have actually stacked em up. Lots of new people here... I'm all for learning something new 8-)

Totally agree. If all my hunts were in beast type setups, Id be hunting with far less worries for scent. Man I cant wait to get there and find more buck beds!!! I'm thankful to have guys like you and the others you mentioned to open my eyes on many new (to me) tactics. My house has some great bucks, and my local does are not so smart for the most part, and can become tolerant of minimal scent left behind. As long as I fool them for a few days, the mature bucks will be there. My goal is to beast hunt other places.

The guys mentioned, and Dans DVDs really slapped me across the face with new info, ideas, tactics. I'm grateful for that!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:58 am

As far as the wall of bucks... I am not the worlds greatest shot by any means, and have lost, missed, or blown way more opertunities than I have successful endings... And I have passed on a lot of bucks. I went the clean / scent free wrought for a while and saw no differance in the deer reactions. Some spook, some don't, some don't show any reaction...
As far as rut goes, believe it or not, I hunt rut too... I think I passed on 5 or 6 bucks in Iowa that were between 140 and 150, and had dozens of smaller bucks in Iowa and Wisconsin walk past. Many of which were down wind. Of the ones that appeared to be down wind, about 20% reacted. Actually that number is less than when I used scent control, but I figure that is because my set ups are better now, because4 of my better understanding of wind flow and thermals.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:52 am

dan wrote:As far as the wall of bucks... I am not the worlds greatest shot by any means, and have lost, missed, or blown way more opertunities than I have successful endings... And I have passed on a lot of bucks. I went the clean / scent free wrought for a while and saw no differance in the deer reactions. Some spook, some don't, some don't show any reaction...
As far as rut goes, believe it or not, I hunt rut too... I think I passed on 5 or 6 bucks in Iowa that were between 140 and 150, and had dozens of smaller bucks in Iowa and Wisconsin walk past. Many of which were down wind. Of the ones that appeared to be down wind, about 20% reacted. Actually that number is less than when I used scent control, but I figure that is because my set ups are better now, because4 of my better understanding of wind flow and thermals.

Dan were these deer in your scent stream ie milkweed floating into their nostrils? If so do you think the lack of pressure causes a lesser reaction?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:21 am

cbigbear wrote:
dan wrote:As far as the wall of bucks... I am not the worlds greatest shot by any means, and have lost, missed, or blown way more opertunities than I have successful endings... And I have passed on a lot of bucks. I went the clean / scent free wrought for a while and saw no differance in the deer reactions. Some spook, some don't, some don't show any reaction...

Dan were these deer in your scent stream ie milkweed floating into their nostrils? If so do you think the lack of pressure causes a lesser reaction?

I meant to say that the rut action I was refering to was last season... Many of the bucks that did not show reaction were where my milkweed was flowing, but not all and there is no way to know for sure they were in my stream when they passed. Yes, I do see better reactions to human scent on managed land.

Andrae would have the worlds record for number of Boone & Crockett bow killed animals if he had them in the book. He wears leather boots, and hunts the wind... He is talking about trying Ozonics though. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”