Can we really really fool a deer's nose?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Can we really really fool a deer's nose?

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:58 am

dan wrote:
Well then why is he considering using ozonics?

Like a lot of other people he is hoping it works and would like to give it a try... He also tried the other means of scent control that we are discussing in this thread hoping they would work too.. Personally, I don't know if ozonics works or not, but I hope it don't. Deer are fun to hunt because its hard to beat there nose. It ain't easy, and its not supposed to be...

Or to disprove it?

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:22 am

Stanley wrote:
Terry wrote:
dan wrote:[Personally, I don't know if ozonics works or not, but I hope it don't. Deer are fun to hunt because its hard to beat there nose. It ain't easy, and its not supposed to be...

That's how I feel. Take away the deer's nose and it becomes too easy. Not to mention it kills a large part of the skill set needed to consistently kill nice buck. Technology would compensate for a lack of skill.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

The only way to consistently kill big bucks is to take away their nose. :think:

By using the skills we learned and not by using a machine.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
HEADHUNTER

Unread postby HEADHUNTER » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:36 am

I do not believe you can fool a mature bucks nose.

But I believe in putting the odds in my favor by reducing scent and limiting general habitat impact, even if only slightly reducing my scent that will slightly increase my odds of not being winded. I hunt the wind religiously and have lots of stand options. The wind shifts a lot, prevailing may be west but throughout the day it may shift NW, SW, whatever.

Knowing I did everything in my power to put the odds in my favor gives me greater confidence while hunting. I do not have any "booners" to my name because there are none where I hunt in Poacherville, but I have killed several P&Y bucks with my bow and usually harvest the largest buck I know is in the area weather it be a 110" or a 140".

Do what works for you as a hunter with scent control....but always remember to use the wind and thermals to your advantage. If spraying some magic potion on your boots keeps you in the woods longer - go for it!
HEADHUNTER
"The thrill of the kill is in the chase"
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:34 am

Dewey wrote:
Stanley wrote:
Terry wrote:
dan wrote:[Personally, I don't know if ozonics works or not, but I hope it don't. Deer are fun to hunt because its hard to beat there nose. It ain't easy, and its not supposed to be...

That's how I feel. Take away the deer's nose and it becomes too easy. Not to mention it kills a large part of the skill set needed to consistently kill nice buck. Technology would compensate for a lack of skill.

A bow is a machine. It's a "mechanical advantage". Most of us drive to our hunting spots another machine that is used. We use boats, 4 wheelers more machines that we use. We use our computers to learn about hunting and quicken the learning curve. Another machine we use. The young hunters can save years of trial and error by learning on the Beast. Do we use these machines to make hunting easier? I believe we do. :think: We are not the purists we think we are sometimes.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:11 am

Stanley wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Stanley wrote:
Terry wrote:

A bow is a machine. It's a "mechanical advantage". Most of us drive to our hunting spots another machine that is used. We use boats, 4 wheelers more machines that we use. We use our computers to learn about hunting and quicken the learning curve. Another machine we use. The young hunters can save years of trial and error by learning on the Beast. Do we use these machines to make hunting easier? I believe we do. :think: We are not the purists we think we are sometimes.

You got me there. ;)

Now you have me thinking maybe I should walk to my hunting spot tomorrow while carrying a homemade stickbow that shoots stone arrowheads! :think:

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:16 am

That's true but there are different levels of advantage... taking away the deers greatest advantage is a game changer so I can see that being a turnoff.

Make It Happen
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:07 am

Dewey wrote:Now you have me thinking maybe I should walk to my hunting spot tomorrow while carrying a homemade stickbow that shoots stone arrowheads! :think:

Maybe you should think "speer" and remove all question. ;) :lol:
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:11 pm

Another interesting article on dogs & human scent. It doesn't sound like the dogs nose can be fooled so it would have to be assumed neither can a deer's.

https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for- ... p_0001.htm
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:18 pm

cbigbear wrote:Another interesting article on dogs & human scent. It doesn't sound like the dogs nose can be fooled so it would have to be assumed neither can a deer's.

I saw an episode of a real life crime show where you follow actual detectives as they solve real crimes. They were hunting a fugitive wanted for murder where a blood hound was used to track the wanted man 3 days after he was at a motel (the motel had been cleaned ) and they used a coke can that the man drank out of they found in a garbage can in the room as the sniffer for the dog to get the scent off his finger prints... The dog followed the mans scent out of the motel, down a side walk that hundreds of other people used since the man went thru into a park, across a river, and right to a campsight on the side of a hill where they caught the guy... Now, I am saying that if the dog could track that individual guy 3 days after he walked up that crowded side walk, and tell the difference between his scent and the hundreds of others, how long do you think they can pick up some human scent ( maybe not that they can follow) in the area, especially if its not contaminated with other human scent???
You certainly cannot leave a trail thru the woods that a dog could not follow with his nose by "wearing a magic suit" and "rubber boots". Deer smell better than dogs!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:29 pm

cbigbear wrote:Another interesting article on dogs & human scent. It doesn't sound like the dogs nose can be fooled so it would have to be assumed neither can a deer's.

Good article chigbear, thanks for posting.

Reflex011

Unread postby Reflex011 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:57 am

CountryJoe wrote:My wife absolutely hates the smell of all of the "natural earth cover scent" on all of my hunting clothes. I only wish I would have found this website sooner. It would be one less thing for my wife to hate about me hunting. [glow=red]Since I've started playing the wind and not worrying about scent elimination products, hunting has been so much more enjoyable.[/glow]

LOL. Same here! 8-)
[glow=red]Aim Small. Miss Small.[/glow]

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”