The areas between

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigburner

The areas between

Unread postby Bigburner » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:13 am

There have been some great discussions regarding hunting transitions and the parallel trails on the down-wind side of bedding especially during the rut, so I'm curious to see if people have had success in a scenario that wraps these features into one. I hunt flat coastal plain but this would be present anywhere. Here is an example of two hard transition lines which are really abrupt. Mature woods and young pine plantations in my case. They are in very close proximity and I think that would be key with the areas not being so spread out. The young pine always holds the does. I have a tendency to pick a corner or intersection on one bedding area or somewhere along the transition rather than sit between the two features. Especially, if I have a rock solid bedding location. And it’s always so tempting to sit on the primary scrapes on the downwind sides of these areas which is a solid tactic in its own right. Seems like if you were going in blind or didn't have time to scout and find the trail between the two areas it could produce some serious activity during the cruising phase. You wouldn't risk pushing the bedding areas and your in/out would be clean. Another way of cutting the bucks off when they connecting the dots. Thoughts/ kill examples.red=transition
yellow= buck movement
blue lines+ winds direction

Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: The areas between

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:29 am

Are you saying these would be the bedding areas?

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:59 am

Looks like a parallel trail to me. And a transition edge.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:49 am

Stan the one bedding would be the area to the left that you circled. the other would be to the south of the transition line on the right side (circled bedding in black). I put a likely stand site as well (orange star).
Definately lots of desirable features. Basic question, have any of you ever gone in blind in a scenerio like this during the rut, disregarded the parralell trails on the downwind side of the bedding and sat in the general area that would likely hold a trail between the two bedding areas have been successful just based off of cyber scouting . In this example, any southerly wind influence would work. If the bedding areas were spread to far apart I think there would be to many variables involved to waste your time in empty space. I actually hunted this a few times in the past its a cool spot. never saw a big'un just little bucks and does scooting around. It was entertaining.
Montani Semper Liberi
Beartown18
500 Club

Unread postby Beartown18 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:03 am

I like the looks of it, I am interested to see what the others say and how they would set up.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:48 pm

Yes. Shortest distance between bedding areas is what I think of as a 'subtle' or 'invisible' funnel. I have very good success on them during rut. I have gone in blind many times and killed in very similar setups to what you posted, but that is with firearm. Bow is tough to predict the buck travel on a micro level, plus in flat ground they may travel the area anywhere within a hundred yards or so.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:55 pm

This is how I would hunt it with those winds as indicated. I always see more buck movement in the thick than I do in the thin.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:27 pm

Bigburner: is that a creek north of your yellow line?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:25 am

No sir. There is and access road and some fire breaks.
Montani Semper Liberi

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”