Full moon and the rut

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rochester coops

Full moon and the rut

Unread postby rochester coops » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:37 pm

Ok, I know typically full moons are not the best days to be hunting, as deer tend to move all night. However this yr we have a full moon landing on Nov 6. I'm trying to decide what days I want off for the rut. Typically this would be a great week to be in the woods with the rut, but I'm wondering what your experience is. Am I better off the week before or after when the full moon is right there? Or will it not matter since it is prime time anyway?
Thanks

SamPotter
500 Club

Re: Full moon and the rut

Unread postby SamPotter » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:57 am

I'm shooting for the week after myself.... Who am I kidding? I'll be out there every day I can the 1st 3 weeks of November. Alsheimer is saying the 9-12 should be the best days.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:52 am

If I could only choose one it would be the one after the full moon.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:09 am

You can have success during the full moon just have to change your tactics. Mornings after full moon nights are poor I have seen but there can be more mid-day movement so target those cruising bucks then. I haven't decided yet if a full moon has a big effect on evening movement. Heavy overcast nights seem to counteract the full moon effect too.

While the Nov 6th time period can be good, my personal preference has always been the last week of October to catch bucks on their feet more but still on a pattern. How far in advance do you need to schedule time off? Best would be if you could schedule days off only a week or two out and have an idea what the weather will be like.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:43 am

I plan on hunting that day unless I'm tagged out.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:36 am

I believe it has more to do with moon phase than size... Those are crappy days based on moon position. Most cruising would be midday and not much morning or evening action. The last week of October and 2nd week of November look awesome for morning and evening movement though...
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:09 pm

I'm taking off the 4th through the 9th of November here in Illinois. Do you think that's not a good idea? The following week might be a tough one but do you think it might be better? I have a wedding the night of the 15th so I'd have to drive back for that so I could only hunt the 11th to the morning of the 15th. What week do you think would be better for central Illinois, assuming weather is typical of November?
tcop7
500 Club

Unread postby tcop7 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:39 pm

dan wrote:I believe it has more to do with moon phase than size... Those are crappy days based on moon position. Most cruising would be midday and not much morning or evening action. The last week of October and 2nd week of November look awesome for morning and evening movement though...

Last year I got a ton of pictures of cruising bucks and does in the last week of October here in Ohio. I'm definitely going to hunt that spot in the same time frame this year.
[glow=green]Experience Is What You Get When You Didn't Get What You Wanted![/glow]

[glow=blue]McLaughlin Athletic Center[/glow]
[glow=blue]Northwest Ohio's Youth Sports Complex![/glow]
[dropshadow=blue]Visit us at --->[/dropshadow]http://www.macgymohio.com/ [dropshadow=blue]<---[/dropshadow]

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”