Wind and bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Super goat

Wind and bedding

Unread postby Super goat » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:09 pm

When you guys decide a bed to hunt based on wind are you picking beds that the buck can see his down wind side with vision and smell what's comeing from behind him? I'm trying to get my head around this style of hunting. I've always been ( well I think a buck is bedding here so I hunt the down wind side) just on a whim. I'm trying to get to the he's here for this reason. What is the determine factor for you guys on what beds you hunt? Thanks

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dreaming bucks

Re: Wind and bedding

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:57 pm

Correct...... they usually bed with the wind at their back, and then use their vision to see any danger coming in down wind from them.... I can't speak so much for flat country, but in hill country it's a huge factor.... They bed so they are looking down the hill, and yet the wind will be coming from behind them, giving them the ability to smell any danger sneaking up behind them.... Hope this helps....
headgear
500 Club

Re: Wind and bedding

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:29 am

In swamps or marshes the wind will be at their back and they might use their ears to hear danger coming. That or there might be a barrier of water or a beaver dam or something that keeps them protected from anything scenting them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”