Archery Doe Tags?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chasman

Archery Doe Tags?

Unread postby Chasman » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:31 pm

I don't blame the DNR for everything, all the time. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt on most things. My question/issue is about the archery doe tag. I did not think the archery doe tag that comes with your license was going to be zone specific. I was not asked by clerk when buying my license what zone I wanted. A heads up to those who travel to a different zone for all their hunting. Now if I want to harvest a doe on our land that is an hour away I must buy another doe tag. I can't help but look at this as a money grab. Some guys who hunt different areas of the state, could end up buying multiple doe tags if they plan on harvesting a doe. I don't mean guys are going to shoot multiple does, but to be honest wanting to shoot a doe and getting the opportunity may take a few times out. And you know the first zone you don't buy the tag in is when you will get a shot. I was under the impression that any does over the one, would be zone specific.

matt1336
500 Club

Re: Archery Doe Tags?

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:48 pm

They gave you the tag specific to where THEY want you to shoot does. They don't much care about where you want to shoot them.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:03 pm

What state?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:52 pm

Knute78 wrote:What state?

WI
Holler Hick

Unread postby Holler Hick » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:31 am

If the DNR knows their herd, they should know the population in each region. The doe tags are probably awarded based on areas that have a higher population. That is just my opinion.
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:39 am

Holler Hick wrote:If the DNR knows their herd, they should know the population in each region. The doe tags are probably awarded based on areas that have a higher population. That is just my opinion.

That's how they do it in NY. Some areas you can't get any, other's you can get up to 4.

Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:09 am

After peeling more layers of this onion open I would end up buying 6 different doe tags if I truly wanted to shoot a doe in all the areas I hunt. This is just to be legal to shoot one doe. I live on a border of DMU zones, a mile from each so there is 4 tags. One for private, one for public because I hunt both types of property. Now if I travel to my land that is a little over an hour away, there is two more doe tags because of the public and private issue. In the end what I have concluded is the DNR does not want many does harvested, or they are thinking hunters are willing to shell out cash for tags that will most likely go unfilled. I only harvest one deer a year for family food. I hold out for a big buck gun and bow. I have not shot a deer with gun for years. This year is going to be interesting to say the least.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:28 am

I agree they want less deer shot and that's most likely in response to years of hunters complaining about lack of deer. I think the public/private is also in response to hunter complaints where lots of does were being shot on public relative to private and creating discrepancies in deer herds within management units.

Anyways, I just bought my archery tag two nights ago and I don't think the included doe tag was unit specific. I believe it was a generic antlerless valid in any farmland unit public or private, but the additional antlerless tags needed DMU and public/private specificity.

christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:23 am

bowhunter15 wrote:I agree they want less deer shot and that's most likely in response to years of hunters complaining about lack of deer. I think the public/private is also in response to hunter complaints where lots of does were being shot on public relative to private and creating discrepancies in deer herds within management units.

Anyways, I just bought my archery tag two nights ago and I don't think the included doe tag was unit specific. I believe it was a generic antlerless valid in any farmland unit public or private, but the additional antlerless tags needed DMU and public/private specificity.

Bought one last night and all that came with it was a farmland anterless. I believe the gun tag was different, but I can look later.

chris
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:26 am

bowhunter 15 is correct.
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:53 am

Statewide buck and farmland antlerless. Additional tags are DMU-specific.
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:52 am

Sorry if I am beating this to death--- I have a 2013 cwd unit buck authorization since I killed a doe in December. It says it is valid until March 31, 2015. Can I attach that to a Farmland Zone Only Antlerless tag? I think this is how it works, but I wanted to make sure.

chris
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:53 am

Bonus Buck regulations
Where is bonus buck allowed during the 2014 deer season?
Bonus buck is available to hunters only in the Southern Farmland Zone.
Can Bonus Buck Authorization stickers earned in 2013 be used in 2014?
Yes, all Bonus Buck Authorization stickers earned in 2013 can be used in 2014. Hunters can use Bonus Buck Authorization stickers in any Southern Farmland Zone unit and on any property type (public or private).
Can hunters earn new Bonus Buck Authorization stickers in 2014?
Yes, hunters can earn additional Bonus Buck Authorization stickers in 2014. However, they may only use one new Bonus Buck Authorization sticker during the 2014 season.
Can Bonus Buck Authorization stickers earned in 2014 be used in 2015?
Any unused 2014 Bonus Buck Authorization sticker may or may not be valid for use in 2015. We do not yet know what the final rule will be or if the bonus buck rule will still be in effect during 2015. Bonus buck will be addressed in the permanent Deer Trustee Report rule this fall.
Can hunters earn 2014 Bonus Buck Authorization stickers for harvesting antlerless deer in units outside the Southern Farmland Zone?
No, hunters can only earn Bonus Buck Authorization stickers by harvesting an antlerless deer in a Southern Farmland Zone unit.
What carcass tag will be used on a bonus buck?
A hunter can use any unfilled 2014 deer carcass tag to tag a bonus buck but must attach a 2013 or 2014 Bonus Buck Authorization sticker to the back of the carcass tag.
Can hunters still harvest and tag an antlerless deer in the Southern Farmland Zone and continue to stay in the field and hunt for a bonus buck?
No. Under the new rules, a hunter must now first register their antlerless deer harvested in the Southern Farmland Zone in-person at a DNR registration station and obtain a Bonus Buck Authorization sticker. They can then go back out hunting for their bonus buck with their Bonus Buck Authorization sticker and an unfilled antlerless deer carcass tag in their possession. The carcass tag is required (see previous question).
What should I do if I have a valid 2013 Bonus Buck Authorization sticker that I earned last year, but affixed it to a CWD Management Zone antlerless tag that isn't valid anymore?
Bring your 2013 Bonus Buck Authorization sticker with your DNR customer ID number written on it to any DNR customer service center and you will be issued a replacement 2013 sticker.
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:54 am

Found the above on the DNR website. Also read about a rule change involving transport of a deer. In typical DNR fashion it is as clear as mud to me. Even the explanation about what the rule says seems to be in contradiction to what the rule says.

chris

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”