Trail Camera Pics..Hard to leave them

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chasman

Trail Camera Pics..Hard to leave them

Unread postby Chasman » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:08 am

I guess I just need to hear it again from the Beast community. Every year I get good bucks, two years ago a 160" buck. This year I will try and post pics of two twins that are decent looking bucks. But I digress, all at night. They do not bed on our land. I rarely get a day time pics Maybe 2 in the last 3 years. I can't hunt where I think they live so I am not hunting our land.
This weekend has got me second guessing a little because of the rain then high pressure and then cool temps to think maybe they may want to get up and move earlier. Most likely I won't hunt it. But the pics sure make it tempting.
[thumbnail]Image[/thumbnail]

Bucky

Re: Trail Camera Pics..Hard to leave them

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:22 am

How much land do you own? PM me an aerial view with borders outlined... I will give you my two cents on how to keep the deer on your property. Sometimes it is simply sweat equity and a little bit of $$$ can make a HUGE difference. Where is the land located - county?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:29 am

Agree with bucky, try and make your land more attractive, add some bedding and see if you can't pull them in.
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:31 am

[thumbnail]Image[/thumbnail]
Bucky we have done a lot over the years. Total land area is 100 acres. 5 acre food plot, leased farm land. Clear cut that is now a thick jungle, excellent bedding. Trails to allow deer to move. Connecting corridors are going away. Farmers are clear cutting and putting in farmland around us. The land to the east is hunted hard, over hunted, and over harvested. The biggest blow is the activity on the bedding area. Uncle burns wood. He will go into any area whenever to get wood. The area these deer bed is off limits and rarely hunted. Gun only for a couple days that it. So we are regulated to rut and night time pics. I would do more If I thought it would help.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:52 am

Chasman wrote:[thumbnail]Image[/thumbnail]
Bucky we have done a lot over the years. Total land area is 100 acres. 5 acre food plot, leased farm land. Clear cut that is now a thick jungle, excellent bedding. Trails to allow deer to move. Connecting corridors are going away. Farmers are clear cutting and putting in farmland around us. The land to the east is hunted hard, over hunted, and over harvested. The biggest blow is the activity on the bedding area. Uncle burns wood. He will go into any area whenever to get wood. The area these deer bed is off limits and rarely hunted. Gun only for a couple days that it. So we are regulated to rut and night time pics. I would do more If I thought it would help.

Yeah not much more to do with that property than what you have done... keep your cameras on edges and out of the timber one be one suggestion though. Is that a creek bed to the North? Does it have year round water? If not the only "hole" I see is access pressure and water.

I'm also gonna tell ya... that I give a property 2-3 years, if I can't change it to make it work I dump it. I'd rather hunt public with bedding than hope and pray on private... I know private is nice cause you don't have to deal with anyone.... but sometimes you can't make it work. Your situation sounds not the best... the random intrusion for wood and heavy pressure to East limits the success of your 5 acre food plot. You still have a chance during the rut because the food plot keeps some does close... but yearly success will be difficult on that lease. My 2 cents

The three things you need to create an awesome lease are bedding cover, access, and water.... the rest you can add to it
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:03 am

Bucky,

We do have water holes also. The creek bottoms to the north of our land is where one of these two will probably bed. Farmer had a cow die years ago from an aluminum arrow and will not let me hunt. The other buck or bucks will bed to the south, lots of clear cuts selective harvests in the last 3 years or so. Bedding galore. Thanks for input.

So you would agree, go elsewhere?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:05 am

I would go elsewhere. Guarantee everything good is bedded on the creek bottom or closer to the WI river.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:17 am

Chasman wrote:Bucky,

We do have water holes also. The creek bottoms to the north of our land is where one of these two will probably bed. Farmer had a cow die years ago from an aluminum arrow and will not let me hunt. The other buck or bucks will bed to the south, lots of clear cuts selective harvests in the last 3 years or so. Bedding galore. Thanks for input.

So you would agree, go elsewhere?

I hate to say it after all your work... but I would dump it. Or if you have kids try and keep it for them to hunt on the food and at least see deer....

Private land can turn into a hindrance when hunting for mature bucks... I fell into that trap for almost 5-6yrs myself. PM me and I will point you in a direction not too far from that property ;)
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:22 am

We own part of land uncle owns the rest. He does not bow hunt just gun. I still like hunting it. Lots of does and the Rut bucks. I will be hunting public, might sit the same tree I recorded and passed a 125" ten. Maybe he is a 130 or bigger.. Doubt it but who knows.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:23 am

If it makes you feel better I've had a pile of huge bucks on camera behind my house, I have a stand there to hunt with the kids but I spend my time hunting public land. You can't kill what is not there during shooting hours.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:41 am

I'm not sure I would dump it. If you are willing to lease land then yes there are better leases. If you are hunting as a guest then replacing that for another free place is not so easy. 35 years ago I could knock on almost any door and get permission to hunt. It is not like that anymore. I have very good friends that own land and let me hunt as a guest. Back in the day those guys were knocking on doors also. Times have changed that is for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:46 am

Stanley wrote:I'm not sure I would dump it. If you are willing to lease land then yes there are better leases. If you are hunting as a guest then replacing that for another free place is not so easy. 35 years ago I could knock on almost any door and get permission to hunt. It is not like that anymore. I have very good friends that own land and let me hunt as a guest. Back in the day those guys were knocking on doors also. Times have changed that is for sure.

I'm saying dump it if he is paying to play... if it is family owned and hunting is free I would keep it in the portfolio... I just wouldn't spend much time on it. The #1 secret to killing big bucks every year is hunting properties that they live on or frequent... if your not on one you're simply hoping one runs through after being bumped or chasing/checking for does during the rut = low odds
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:18 am

Bucky wrote:
Stanley wrote:I'm not sure I would dump it. If you are willing to lease land then yes there are better leases. If you are hunting as a guest then replacing that for another free place is not so easy. 35 years ago I could knock on almost any door and get permission to hunt. It is not like that anymore. I have very good friends that own land and let me hunt as a guest. Back in the day those guys were knocking on doors also. Times have changed that is for sure.

I'm saying dump it if he is paying to play... if it is family owned and hunting is free I would keep it in the portfolio... I just wouldn't spend much time on it. The #1 secret to killing big bucks every year is hunting properties that they live on or frequent... if your not on one you're simply hoping one runs through after being bumped or chasing/checking for does during the rut = low odds

I agree 100%. Sometimes the best move is moving on. A lot of the spots I used to hunt for free are now leased by outfitters or other hunters. Even finding good leases can be a challenge. I do not hunt one private ground spot that I did 15 years ago.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:32 am

Bucky wrote:

I'm saying dump it if he is paying to play... if it is family owned and hunting is free I would keep it in the portfolio... I just wouldn't spend much time on it. [glow=red]The #1 secret to killing big bucks every year is hunting properties that they live on or frequent...[/glow] if your not on one you're simply hoping one runs through after being bumped or chasing/checking for does during the rut = low odds

Great advice that is rarely followed! It is easy to get strung along by night time pics of giant bucks. I personally fell victim to it for years. It was a tough lesson.
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:00 pm

Bassboys and Bucky talk about dumping properties with low odds. I agree but am curious if they would suggest moving to public lands or better private? If its public and not close to your home how do you determine if is worthy?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”