Crossbow license?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Crossbow license?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:15 am

I am not using one, but found this interesting....

I went to the local gas station this morning where they sell hunting license's, and I overheard the owner telling someone that to buy a license for crossbow, you need to buy the $24 archery license, and then buy a $3 crossbow license, so $27 total.... Does that seem right? why do the people have to buy an extra $3 license, why not just $24 like when you use a bow? I don't know, that just seems weird to me.... another way to make some money????

Brad

Re: Crossbow license?

Unread postby Brad » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:46 am

I heard the same, when I bought my license yesterday the lady accidently gave me a crossbow license , I told her and she voided it and gave me a regular archery license. We hadn't got to the fee part yet though.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:52 am

It was exactly the same here in Michigan a few years ago... they generate extra revenue with it but they also want to get a handle on how many hunters are using the crossbow to hunt with.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:55 am

Singing Bridge wrote:It was exactly the same here in Michigan a few years ago... they generate extra revenure with it but they also want to get a handle on how many hunters are using the crossbow to hunt with.

I understand getting a handle on how many are using the crossbow to hunt, but they would not have to charge an extra $3 for it....... Like I said, I am not using a crossbow, but this would kind of tick me off if I was...
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:59 am

I think you buy the extra 3$ crossbow license only if you want to hunt with bow and crossbow. If you just want the crossbow only it is the same as the archery tag.

dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:03 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:I think you buy the extra 3$ crossbow license only if you want to hunt with bow and crossbow. If you just want the crossbow only it is the same as the archery tag.

Oh is that it? Well thats not so bad then, thanks for clarifying that for me.

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:07 am

I was in my favorite archery shop the other day and I would say that 3 out of 4 conversations were about crossbow use for deer hunting (Michigan). The archery shops in Wisconsin will have to adapt or they will lose a ton of revenue over the next few years and many of them will close. The situation will be "adapt" or be left behind, so to speak. My favorite archery shop has a huge following and they recognized where the dollar flow was going to go and made the adjustment to sell and maintain crossbows along with their strong, archery base... and they are flourishing.

Now let me give an example of what may happen if they do not...

A number of years back we had a superb store that was located in Auburn, Michigan. It was called, "Ye Olde Black Powder Shop" and it specialized in traditional muzzleloading "only." It was a magnificent store with untold parts available for traditional muzzleloading and I, along with many others, enjoyed looking through the store and purchasing traditional items.

Then along came the inline muzzloaders, or "modern" muzzleloaders if you will. They absolutely soared in popularity, but Ye Olde BPS wouldn't budge and held up their traditional values... Unfortunately they closed within a few years.

I'm sure that many of you in Wisconsin right now are thinking as I did, that the archery base is so strong there is no need for most archery stores to worry about crossbows... WRONG!!

Unless the archery stores are independantly wealthy and have no worries about generating revenue, they will be left behind and forced to adapt and to try to survive... in my view.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:17 am

• Archer License: Allows hunting with a bow and arrow only for deer during the archery
deer season and for small game during a small game season.

• Crossbow License: Allows hunting with a crossbow only for deer during the crossbow
deer season and for small game during a small game season.

Note: The purchase of a $3 upgrade is required with either an archer or crossbow license
in order to use both weapon types.

http://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/pubs/wm/WM0431.pdf
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:18 am

Good points Bridge...

I was told our local small town archery store can't get enough x-bows in fast enough, that surprised me a little, I really didn't think it would take off this fast. I guess they are getting several guys that have not archery hunted in years, now buying a x-bow & license... not me, I love my compound... but who knows, maybe some day when I can't pull back a compound easily anymore- I may have to look into it.

cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:24 am

In indiana it's a $24 license for crossbow, $24 for archery. You gotta pick one or buy both, unless you buy a bundle license which allows 3 or 4 deer with any weapon

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”