Decoys??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

christian1
500 Club

Decoys??

Unread postby christian1 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:29 am

Not a topic I have seen much of here in the last year. Thoughts? I have two Montana decoys, but have yet to use them with success. Pixie dust or do they have a place in your ? How and when do you use them? Even if you don't use them for mature bucks, can they be used to harvest does?

chris

cdeam

Re: Decoys??

Unread postby cdeam » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:40 am

I got an inflatable doe a few years back. I used it once in the pre rut. Bucks and does both saw it and seemed like they just wanted to get away from it. Haven't used it since

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:12 am

christian1 wrote:Not a topic I have seen much of here in the last year. Thoughts? I have two Montana decoys, but have yet to use them with success. Pixie dust or do they have a place in your ? How and when do you use them? Even if you don't use them for mature bucks, can they be used to harvest does?

chris

I bought a Montana doe decoy to fool fool around with this season as well so I will be looking forward to the responses. Most of what I have read is a mixed bag. And that the deer like to spot them from a distance.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:40 am

I've had decent bucks come to them. I lime them in open areas where a buck may be cruising at a distance and you can call and give them a visual as well.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Choupic

Unread postby Choupic » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:46 am

ozzz wrote:I've had decent bucks come to them. I lime them in open areas where a buck may be cruising at a distance and you can call and give them a visual as well.

Is there a certain way that you position the decoy according to where your sitting , and why ? And do you use a buck or a doe for the decoy ? Thanks .

ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:58 am

You know, I have only used a die decoy so far but hear a buck with only one antler is a decent idea.

I just put it up wind quartering away from me. In an open area where you can see them from farther away.

If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Choupic

Unread postby Choupic » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:06 pm

Ok I'm just curious , I have a couple places in mind for this year , thinking about giving it a try .

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:15 pm

I used a montana doe decoy a lot for a couple of years, lots of late pre-rut and rut setups. My experience is most bucks ignore them, a few react negatively, and a few react positively and the bigger the buck the more likely he was to ignore it. Maybe it would have done better with a buck and doe setup but I just got tired of carrying it around for what seemed like marginal results. The couple bucks that came swaggering in was pretty cool though.
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:12 am

If you use a doe place it 15 to 20 yards in front of you facing away, bucks will approach from the business end. I like to put a bit of estrous scent around the decoy but not on it.

If using a buck place it 15-20 yards facing you, the bucks should circle and try to face it head on.

I shot a little buck over my glendel target "doe"

I place my inflatable tinks miss November out in front of me and had does check it out like crazy. I could have wacked anyone of them.

To me it seems like one more thing to carry anymore. My miss November suffered a wound at my sons birthday party when the kids were dragging it around. She wont hold air anymore so I doubt I will be using it anymore.

I say it will work for you if you set them up correctly you can put the deer right in you lap, if they fail you may blow an opportunity at a buck. Not really worth it to me unless you are hunting an area in the rut that may not have a good concentration of does.

As for timing I say use the buck, smaller inferior, in the mid October days before the rut when the deer are most likely to be territorial. Go with the doe during the rut, as that is the main thing on a bucks mind. Good luck with whatever you decide.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”