any patterns associated with deer blowing/snorting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ihookem
500 Club

Re: any patterns associated with deer blowing/snorting?

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:34 am

I bet I get snorted at more than anyone on this board. Happens so often It isn't funny. My observtions.. (1) Sometimes the darn things just snort. I have been snorted at with deer well up wind of me and no way did they smell me. (2) It is almost always an old doe and never a buck or fawn. (3) If I don't see the deer, I am sure it doesn't see me,,,,, I know this sounds strange and it is a risky thing to do but it seems the hunt is over most of the time if you get snorted at so I started saying " what the heck" snort back at it. I have made the deer even more nervous this way but it can also help calm them down. I have seen does just look around after snorting back and then they go back to eating or just walking by. Perhaps I fool them into thinking it was just another deer. I have never shot a deer after it snorted though and doubt they are relaxed enough that I ever will. My hope is to calm them down a bit so they don't go running off . A few years ago I had a doe snort a few times and sure enough,, a young buck came charging in . It no doubt called in that buck. The doe wanted nothing to do with a spiker and he chased that doe straight into Sawyer co. ( 1/2 mi away.)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”