Newbie question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ereed

Newbie question

Unread postby ereed » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:41 am

Hello to all,
I was just wondering what you think the one "BEST" piece/pieces of information you could pass along to a new whitetail deer hunter(something you wish you new in the beginning) And what is the "WORST" thing/things one should avoid at all costs? you can include products as well as information.Thanks in advance

Justin85

Re: Newbie question

Unread postby Justin85 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:44 am

Hunt deer where deer want to be, not where you want them to be.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:56 am

Best: learn to hunt the wind

Worse: avoid gimmick products with high paid celebrity hunter endorsements.

62kodiak
500 Club

Unread postby 62kodiak » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:42 am

The Best info I have gleaned over the years is to hunt todays hot sign, not yesterdays or tomorrows. Thanks for that Dan.

The worst thing one can do is become convinced that any one hunting style is the be all end all. Different situations require different tactics. Don't become complacent.
It's not the knowing that's difficult, but the doing.
Choupic

Unread postby Choupic » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:10 am

Man that's a great question . When I first started deer hunting it was ALL trial and error and some hearsay . Although nobody learns any better than the hard way , you have so much information right here on this website to get started with , it's almost fail proof . So to answer the first part of your question , I wish I had this wealth of knowledge right at my finger tips , like the internet .

The worst thing you can do , hmmm , there's quite a few but the one thing that I wish someone would have told me when I started would be to not over hunt one particular area .

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:10 am

Best: be open minded and always willing to learn.

Worst: think you know it all.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:29 am

Scout and learn how the deer use the woods, you can read 100 books but until you spend time in the field you won't really get it.

Avoid most tactics or products you see on TV.
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:16 am

For me I learned at ton from this site and this will be my first year huntin this way, not sure if I will pull it of but I promise I will see more bucks this year. I would say get some milkweed and let the wind and thermals show what you should be doing, I think no matter if bed hunting works out for you that one tip will help you a lot. Other than that ask questions here.

Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:42 am

Go slow and pay attention to the little details this is something I tell myself when Im in the woods or I'll miss stuff. :) probably still overlook a lot.

Don't over hunt an area or visit an area to much. When I first started using a trail cameras I think I messed up a lot of spots because I wanted to get pictures and I would put the cameras to close to the areas I hunted.

yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:55 pm

Read every deer thread on this site I mean it.

nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:06 pm

Dive in get you feet wet, go for broke don't be a Wanda!! That's the only way to learn.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
fauxfly

Unread postby fauxfly » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:32 pm

The best piece of info you'd get from me...stay on the "Hunting Beast" website 24/7!! Read absolutely everything these guys have to say!!

Then read it again!!

I'm dead serious!

Delete all other bowhunting shortcuts you have on your computer - they are almost 100% worthless. Stop watching any and all hunting shows on TV - again almost 100% worthless.

Order Dan's DVD's - immediately...(only from this site!) the marsh bucks and especially the hill country bucks - quit your current job and watch these things 24/7 inbetween new posts on this website!! Stop taking any kind of advice from any friends who bowhunt - unless they are "beasts"!!

Hunt beds, learn how the wind moves over and through an area.

Realize that no matter what your doing wrong - try and learn to never make the same mistake again!
Mibowhunter91

Unread postby Mibowhunter91 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:24 am

I think the thing I wish I knew to avoid was all the goofy gimmicks that you see on tv or every year a new call come out or a scent that will "change the way you hunt" I would rather that buck not have a clue I'm there and not be hunting me

ereed

Unread postby ereed » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:16 pm

Thanks to all who took the time to submit an answer, I will honestly try and learn from all of them. I would also like to thank the "BEAST" for a forum on which to ask the question in the first place, and a site on which I have access to tons of great info, and feedback from "REAL" guys/gals out in "REAL" fields filling real freezers, greatly appreciated!
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:05 pm

Practice alot with your weapon...learn about lethal shot placement. Waiting for a "little better shot" might not be the right play if you want to kill some deer... there's a balance. Get out there and kill some deer. Enjoy yourself. Find good recipes. Take care of your venison from field to table. Don't get discouraged. Join an archery league if you can - it's fun.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”